Discovery Gaming Community
"unfair advantages" - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: "unfair advantages" (/showthread.php?tid=98113)

Pages: 1 2

"unfair advantages" - lIceColon - 05-05-2013

seriously, the unfair advantages thing.

eg. automatic chainfiring. if automatic chainfiring gives people unfair advantages, then why not make chainfiring a publicly acceptable method of combat that everyone is expected to know? If everyone uses it then it wouldn't be a unfair advantage now would it?

eg. high fps. Why not? banning someone for having high fps is like banning someone for playing in HD. hell, why don't we just force everyone to play @ 30fps in a 800x600 resolution so that those with modern computers and 2160p screens don't have an "unfair advantage" over players who don't?

Here are a few more things I could consider to be "unfair advantages":

eg. bloom. disabling bloom gives players pvp advantages too, why don't we force bloom so that nobody will be able to get an unfair advantage in pvp against players who don't know how to turn bloom off?

eg. a comfy keyboard and mouse. You know as well as I do that the player with a $100 keyboard and mouse would certainly have an advantage over the player with the $5 keyboard and mouse due to higher dpi etc. So why don't we make people play with keyboards and mice costing no more than $20?

eg. small screens. players with small screens have an unfair advantage because they don't have to turn their heads and eyeballs as much when surveying their environment and situation. So let's restrict screen size too

eg. lag. Obviously players living next door to the server would have an advantage over players living halfway around the globe, so why don't we force players to install lag emulators so they don't have an "unfair advantage" over people with higher lag?

eg. Hidamari uses a custom sound sfx set to make his/her experience more enjoyable, and doesn't his better mood while playing give him an unfair advantage over players who have to listen to the same old vanilla sfx?

eg. People who use scripts to auto fill their character's names, don't this also give them an advantage over people who have to type their character names when RPing?

In fact, why don't we put together a standardized "disco booth" with standardized seating, airconditioning, performance specs, settings and standardized mouse and keyboards etc. to make sure that nobody gets any unfair advantages?

point is, advantages come naturally as the player gains knowledge and better hardware. I could argue that auto chainfire is not unfair if the player has been around long enough to learn of it (and therefore earned the knowledge), and I could argue that high fps is not unfair because the player probably paid good money for the hardware, and it's almost his right to enjoy a higher fps. Now I personally don't have any of the "unfair advantages" since I rarely pvp due to my lag, my computer is a crappy laptop and I use hardware found in bargain bins, but since anything from IQ to living environment to even the comfy chair a player might be seated in could give the player a slight advantage over the player sitting on a plastic stool in a ghetto, and honestly high fps and chainfire wouldn't be that much of a PVP advantage if the player's skills were rubbish in the first place, and last time I checked discogc rp24/7 was more of a RP server than a competitive e-sports server, so I'm not sure if I 100% agree with the whole unfair advantages ruleset.

RE: "unfair advantages" - sindroms - 05-05-2013

+1 for the sarcasm. At least I hope it was sarcasm.
Thing is, there are only a select few people who actually whine about this on the forum, so this is sort of irrelevant. We already know they are tards and ignore them most of the time.

RE: "unfair advantages" - jammi - 05-05-2013

High FPS actually causes graphical glitches in your ship, making it jitter (as if its lagging intensively). So yes, that is cheating and will get you punished if you're artificially raising your FPS to invoke it.

You can already set up chainfiring without using macros with basic keyboard control. Do it that way or not at all.

RE: "unfair advantages" - Zahas - 05-05-2013

i'll overcloak my gpu to reach over 9000 fps.
No matter what you do people will get more info to make there job easier

RE: "unfair advantages" - lIceColon - 05-05-2013

(05-05-2013, 08:36 AM)jammi Wrote: You can already set up chainfiring without using macros with basic keyboard control. Do it that way or not at all.

lol what if I wanna chain fire in a bs or transport? there's not really a good way of swiping your fingers from one to nine without covering those keys with jerking lotion

RE: "unfair advantages" - jammi - 05-05-2013

(05-05-2013, 09:50 AM)lIceColon Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 08:36 AM)jammi Wrote: You can already set up chainfiring without using macros with basic keyboard control. Do it that way or not at all.

lol what if I wanna chain fire in a bs or transport? there's not really a good way of swiping your fingers from one to nine without covering those keys with jerking lotion
Map to groups, not individual guns, duh. That's how I've always done it.

RE: "unfair advantages" - belarusich - 05-05-2013

About chain fire: i dont understand how to use it at fighter, i have only 5 fingers, and i use three for strafes, one for thruster(and it aches after some time of pressing because my thruster button is near SHIFT, under WASD(which i use for strafes)) and only 1 left for mines/disruptors...

RE: "unfair advantages" - aerelm - 05-06-2013

I opened this thread without checking which section it was in...

First I thought I was in flood...

Then I realized I'm not...

And it made me sad...

Keep FloodMaterialâ„¢ in flood, people. Thread cleaned.

RE: "unfair advantages" - SMGSterlin - 05-06-2013

(05-05-2013, 08:36 AM)jammi Wrote: High FPS actually causes graphical glitches in your ship, making it jitter (as if its lagging intensively). So yes, that is cheating and will get you punished if you're artificially raising your FPS to invoke it.
*makes note of this*

Seems like something that would be hard to detect. 8|

EDIT: Also, not Flood, you fail AE.

RE: "unfair advantages" - Xenosaga - 05-06-2013

The other side to this FPS issue is, that the regular 60 FPS cause severe mouse lag. And now don't tell me it doesn't, you're probably just used to the incredibly sluggish mouse movement with 60 FPS.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow/news/freeworlds-tides-of-war-dx9-port-mouse-lag-bloom-color-correction2

Quote:Before getting to the eye candy, let me quickly talk about mouse lag. I guess almost everybody is familiar with the mouse lag problem that occurs in some games. In almost every case, the laggy/delayed input is to blame on VSync. If you turn VSync off, it solves a lot of the mouse lag problems for many games, including Freelancer.

So, if you wanna ban me for forcing VSync off, go ahead. I refuse to play with enforced mouse lag.