Discovery Gaming Community
Questions about .ale files - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Questions about .ale files (/showthread.php?tid=98369)

Pages: 1 2

Questions about .ale files - SkyNet - 05-10-2013

Hello all,

I am looking for a way, to edit .ale files. I know i can open them with a Texteditor or with Notepad but if i do this, it will look like this:

Quote:UTF  ` Ü , 8 ( " < ðúa/ECÂ \ ALEffectLib AlchemyNodeLibrary   , H H H -Ò-Ò-Ò„   X -Ò-Ò-Ò  €   À ¾ ¾ -Ò-Ò-Ò   ° -Ò-Ò-Ò  €  Ä H
B
B
-Ò-Ò-ÒÿÿÿÿÍÌŒ?  ku_gunboat_maingun  º=ö  :·Žû   Q;"î €  ÖÉé  íüs  1ü½ò  ?Òø         ÍÌŒ?  FxSphereEmitter Ψï ku_gunboat_maingun_Sphere.emt  }Þòÿÿ¡Y:á ~þ  xG> €? €? Rš  5< ÈB  Mƒ"¼ À@ R(õ @F •"ç €Xc
 @  (»<”öž> Å€±
 A  À”<‰BK< ># `ÿ1ò tÞt €?  mtN<‡¢:  FxBasicAppearance Ψï ku_gunboat_maingun.app  }Þòÿÿ¡Y:á °S   @,-?³¶}? .‡cø€Õ_{ø ñgéèg‡  €?áß_?€ ?€ > ü  €? ©ëÂ÷  €?#žì=ŒÅ7Aû?>ÿ¿ª@Š!Y>øHjAÜ‹>Ý*"A;6Â>¹ü¨@‡¢?^,ASu?>ê²@±Þ,?˜øjAÒC?à•@WY?ãgAfb?ò‡û@rÀn?8×Z@f~? !×@ Pvéà  €? cÛ  Y3¢ small-flare lë   ëöâ GoZ  Ս+õ  ä.Õó ^Üè  FxPerpAppearance Ψï ku_gunboat_maingun_shell.app  }Þòÿÿ¡Y:ဠ    ¦›D<î*ÄB ó’J?Åå\C ^\"@IžÂ öe@™GZC *ÒÊ@0Ñ!Á ÂØä@f‚hC wÓ A^mØB åG

It is encrypted or compressed, i dont know. But i know there is a way to edit this effect files. I spent hours, to find a solution on the internet, without success. And if I thought i found something, then the link was out of date.

Can somebody help me to find a tool, please?

RE: Question about .ale files - SMGSterlin - 05-10-2013

I think it's a type of file that uses this program.

Probably wrong though.

RE: Question about .ale files - onca - 05-11-2013

ALE files are in binary format, and yet another of Microsoft's way of expressing their hatred to modders.

Google "ALE editor", or better yet, "Freelencer XML project". The XML thing works better, it allows more friendly editing, and works with a wide variety of FL binary file formats.

Good luck!

RE: Question about .ale files - SkyNet - 05-11-2013

(05-11-2013, 05:33 AM)onca Wrote: ALE files are in binary format, and yet another of Microsoft's way of expressing their hatred to modders.

Google "ALE editor", or better yet, "Freelencer XML project". The XML thing works better, it allows more friendly editing, and works with a wide variety of FL binary file formats.

Good luck!

Much thanks!!!, i found it finally. But i see, it will cost me a lot of time, to modify this files. I would have to test my modifications in game constantly.
Does exist another tool, which I can view and change my effect at the same time?

RE: Question about .ale files - onca - 05-13-2013

(05-11-2013, 11:38 AM)SkyNet Wrote: But i see, it will cost me a lot of time, to modify this files. I would have to test my modifications in game constantly.
Does exist another tool, which I can view and change my effect at the same time?

Not that I know of. That's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.. edit/run/test/CtD, rinse and repeat Wink

RE: Question about .ale files - AeternusDoleo - 05-13-2013

There are no graphic display tools for ALE files. So yes, it involves a lot of trial-and-error and loading the game. Which makes ALE editing very tedious, which is probably why so few people do it.

RE: Question about .ale files - SkyNet - 05-15-2013

Is there a good tutorial for .ale editing?

RE: Question about .ale files - AeternusDoleo - 05-16-2013

None that I know of. You might want to try the Starport.

RE: Question about .ale files - SkyNet - 05-18-2013

Starport don't have such kind of tutorials. The devs of discovery can certainly answer some questions, or not?

What does this mean?

effect_crc = 155400081

It's located in the "explosions_ale"
Must be a effect ID, am i right?

RE: Question about .ale files - AeternusDoleo - 05-18-2013

It is the CRC of the effect being referenced (the name only). Not sure why the game requires it, always seemed a bit redundant to myself. You can use the application CRCTool to calculate it from the effect nickname.
If you put in the wrong value, the effect won't show and it'll give an error in FLSPEW