Discovery Gaming Community
Enslaved - story competition entry - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Enslaved - story competition entry (/showthread.php?tid=98766)

Enslaved - story competition entry - Bakamono - 05-19-2013

The life of a plantation slave is harsh and insular: many are born and die under the watch of others, never knowing a life of choices. The lives of the unsung, form the pillars that elevate heroes and tyrants.
Orwell was the largest of his tribe, head and shoulders above his brothers and sisters: he enjoyed the respect his size commanded.
He was a greedy child. At his mothers breast he would feed so hungrily that she had to turn away his siblings until later. Though his mother would always dissuade him from greed, he would ignore her: taking the lions share for himself. In this environment, a difference in growth soon becomes evident. The weak stand in stark contrast to the strong.
In his formative years he had been more active than his brethren,, and took pleasure in charging around, not caring who he hurt or frightened. Physically dominating smaller, weaker children.
Now he was grown, he had gained status within the insular world of the plantation.
Orwell relished the morning sun as he lazily joined the days proceedings. Breakfast would be soon, giving him time to make the morning rounds. His cohort, Tabitha, walked at his heels.
Mornin' Orwell, you have a certain presence today. Is it your birthday?
No, but thank you Tabitha: you do well to recognise my brilliance.
To his right, the overly-verbose females clustered together in their immaculate white and brown finery.
...Oh! I do so want a baby! Do you have a baby? Oh look there's Florence: I wonder if she heard about any babies...” spewing their nonsense into the post-dawn, their noise was gibberish to his ears.
To his left the no-brained fashion-victims gathered, their empty eyes assessing everyone's appearance.
Oh Yeah I totally dig your style.
Thanks. You're lookin' pretty swell yourself.
Nicely
Look at that guy. What was he thinking? Not like us though, classic...” The coated socialites were disdainful and fearful of anyone different or outside their clique.
Orwell was annoyed by their mockery and weakness: he took two heavy, threatening steps toward them: they gave ground quickly, disgust plain on their faces. He snorted, satisfied, and returned to his usual route.
Ha ha! Good one Orwell. Those clowns aren't even funny.” Striding alongside, Tabitha seemed to share in his moment of intimidation.
I doubt they will step out of line for a while.
Further along the main thoroughfare, a few of the field crews stood idly, occasionally letting loose their single baritone utterances before their like replied in kind.
The field crews were undoubtedly the toughest on the plantation: each bearing their brand proudly, everyone knew that they were no strangers to pain and not to be messed with. Likewise, the muscular giants were aware of their status: content enough in their positions not to cause trouble. Even someone as powerful as Orwell knew enough to pay them respect, he kept his distance, nodding briefly before hurrying on.
The hierarchy here was simple, everyone knew who they could step on and everyone stayed in-line.
The overseer was at the top of the pyramid. Taller even than Orwell: he commanded respect. It was he that provided the food, his were the instruments of pain, and it was his orders that were heeded.
Next, and answering only to the overseer, were the guards. Unquestioningly loyal: they followed the overseers words exactly. Though not cruel by nature, they relished every second of their work emphatically.
Everyone feared the guards, the 'no-brains' said they even saw the guards rip the throat from an intruder. Orwell was glad he was not an intruder. He had never heard of them killing anyone else though. The overseer used them for protection and to maintain order. Orwell supposed this was true.
Next came the family heads, or the heads of each 'tribe'. The big three took precedence: Slep' headed the fields, Urmen lead heavy equipment and currently, Orwell was top of the yards.
He made his way back to the common area for food. Almost everyone was there, but he ate with his family. Tabitha disappeared to her own. In this environment, even small signs of solidarity were precious:
The others saw him and knew what their big brother would expect: they made space for him and waited. His little sister nearby tried to grab a morsel secretively but he caught the movement from the corner of his eye and moved in quickly.
“Hey!” his sister exclaimed.
Give!” he commanded, snatching the morsel from her and gobbling it up himself. No-one else voiced protest: submissive to his bullying.
The food was basic, improved slightly by occasional ingredients sometimes added by the overseer's people. Orwell ate his fill and relaxed, satisfied. He sat proudly with his kind as he surveyed the other workers.
After breakfast, he and Tabitha returned to their lengthy tour of the grounds to make sure all was well.
The Overseer was still elsewhere, probably polishing his pain-stick or something, but one of his guards appeared near the main gate . Identified by his black & white regalia and bared weapons. It was Ivor – who was smaller than Orwell, but shouted as if he were a giant. “Stop right there Orwell!
He didn't feel like stopping today, he felt like showing Ivor that he wouldn't be kept down, despite being trapped here. “No.
I said stop!” Ivor was louder this time.
Move!” he came straight at the guard, picking up speed as he went.
Bast-*!” Ivor cursed and darted out of the way.
It was exhilarating: to defy the guards so brazenly. He revelled in the brief moment of power, slowed and laughed at the guard “Hah! You're not so tough now ay?” he took a menacing step toward Ivor, who backed away with a snarl on his features.
I'll be back! Just see how far you get! Then you'll learn your place freak.” Ivor retreated to find bigger guards.
Ha! That was great! You sure showed him Orwell.
Orwell took some pride in standing up to them. He knew he couldn't make the escape: (escape was impossible) he just liked to show that they had not broken his spirit. Perhaps it would even serve as an example to the others.
He gazed out past the vacated gates to the fields and woods beyond. Over the past few days he had seen some of the smaller children playing here and wondered at their choice.
Now left alone at the gate himself he saw why: the children had sabotaged the mechanisms, allowing access to the world beyond. Perhaps someone had seen Orwell's example after all, he mused as he carefully pried the portal open.
You say you have seen the guards sneak out here at night?
Yes, yes. They look around to make sure no-one is watching, but I see them. They go out to the forest, sometimes they are carrying something.
It is good that you told be about this Tabs, let's go see what they are hiding.
They say it's dangerous for us out there, maybe we shouldn't...
Hah! What do they know? Besides: who can challenge me? You saw how even Ivor was scared.” And with that the pair slid out through the broken gate .
With haste the pair ran to the woods, long grasses masking their sortie. Tall trees loomed before them, their cool shadows darkening as Orwell peered into the depths. It was strange to be surrounded so completely, unlike the low buildings and open sky of the plantation. Orwell's pace slowed at the forest edge.
[Image: haunted_forest_sml.png]
Not too dark for you is it Orwell?
Don't be stupid! Now let's find what we came for and get back before we are missed.” he said impatiently. It was a bit murky for Orwell, and he knew Tabitha had better eyes: but he couldn't admit that.
Of course, I didn't mean ...
I know what you meant. You thought I was scared – well let me tell you. Orwell does not scare easily.” and he ventured bravely into the wood, searching for any sign of disturbance.
Tabitha climbed, but could find nothing despite her better vantage point. Though Orwell did not see as well: his other senses more than made up for it, in his opinion. Before too long he exclaimed as he discovered the site of digging, and began unearthing the hidden prize.
Wow, You found it orwell! Good job.
I know, now come and help me.” Tabitha climbed down and the two excitedly dug into the soil. After a few minutes their excavation yielded results.
Bones?
Bones.” Orwell grunted.
Why would anyone want to bury bones out here?
I don't know Tabs
...and whose bones are they?
I have no idea, maybe Gibson that went missing a while ago?
O yeah...I forgot about him.
One thing I do know, the overseer needs to be told.
Tabitha nodded in assent.
And...” Orwell added “I bet he might even reward us.” They chatted about their discovery and what it might bring as they made their way back home.
It was the day's end, “and a very fine day at that” thought Orwell. A satisfied weariness called him back to the warmth indoors. Besides: the days were getting shorter again now, and the overseer liked them all indoors by nightfall.
As dusk settled and the day's last, vital-glow ebbed on the horizon, one of the overseers men came to fetch Orwell. He must have heard about the important discovery.
Finally” he thought aloud “my greatness is recognised.” he turned to one of his little brothers “Go tell mother and the others that I have an important meeting with the overseer. I will probably be moved somewhere nicer.
“You're leaving?”
Probably, I couldn't stay here forever though, I was bound to move up sooner or later.
“Oh...bye then Orwell.”
Goodbye Wilbur.” and Orwell left with the guard for his important meeting with the Overseer.
The guard left Orwell at the threshold to hall, a final urge onward before he left.The Overseer was with his tall friends, not even a guard was present. Orwell felt privileged.
The Overseer gave him a sad look, it looked sympathetic – Orwell wondered why.
Then a mechanically driven bolt entered the back of his skull, disabling his central nervous system, before the farmhands slit his throat and hung the carcass for the blood to drain. Death had been virtually instant and painless.
Orwell had been the fattest pig on the farm, and would make excellent chops, gammon and bacon.
Werner had reared Orwell from a piglet. From good stock, he knew the litter would be healthy and large, but never would have guessed the size of his prize pig back then. It was always sad when the time came to butcher, but the Darmstadt kitchens needed a menu and this would ensure pork featured for another week at least.