Discovery Gaming Community
Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) (/showthread.php?tid=99959)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ponge - 06-06-2013

Hello.

I recently had a PVP fight, and the guy was losing. He fled, and jumped into a guard system (not his own faction's) to escape, where I did not follow him. He died there later, due to self administered loadout error. I did not see his blue message. He later returned to the system where the fight began.

Is this a PVP death (dying in an other system or out of sight after an encounter)? Does jumping out of the system count as PVP death? There is nothing about that in the rules, only bases and planets are mentioned, and I did not find any forum posts relating to this (or I overlooked).

By the way, it is sad to see that players can't die honourably if they are loosing.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Ponge

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Hannibal - 06-06-2013

it's not a pvp death,the simplest answer you'll ever get Smile
as for self load out error..even if wasn't "suicide"[aka pvp death] he still can get back to your system since it died in another system
as for him losing..we'll i think he won,since you couldn't follow him there and kill him,escape something is counted as win Tongue

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ursus - 06-06-2013

(06-06-2013, 04:44 PM)Ponge Wrote: I recently had a PVP fight, and the guy was losing. He fled, and jumped into a guard system (not his own faction's) to escape, where I did not follow him. He died there later, due to self administered loadout error. I did not see his blue message. He later returned to the system where the fight began.

Is this a PVP death (dying in an other system or out of sight after an encounter)?
No. PVP death occurs when a character dies during combat. If they are not engaged with the enemy, they do not suffer PVP loss. There isn't really a hard rule about it, but at a minimum you need visual contact, or a lot of timestamped screens showing that he died just after jumping while in pursuit, or something like that. If he went to another system, and you didn't pursue, and you dont even have a timestamped death message showing it was still an active engagement, then it wasnt PVP death (not by you anyway).

Quote:Does jumping out of the system count as PVP death?
Nope

Quote:it is sad to see that players can't die honourably if they are loosing.
Yep. This isnt even scratching the surface of what some people will do to avoid a technical loss.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Jansen - 06-06-2013

Lets have a look at this,

(06-06-2013, 04:44 PM)Ponge Wrote: I recently had a PVP fight, and the guy was losing. He fled, and jumped into a guard system (not his own faction's) to escape, where I did not follow him. He died there later, due to self administered loadout error. I did not see his blue message. He later returned to the system where the fight began.

5.6 Fleeing from combat and then docking at a station or planet while you are in range of the ship you were fighting counts as PVP death. Transports and freighters are exempt from this rule.

The red part is the important one, you were not in range when he died, so at least from a look at the rules its fine. The scenario you described shouldnt count as a PVP death.
In range means that you can see the person in question on your scanners, even 14k should be enough here. If the person docks within range you will also get one of these shiny green messages. This also should only apply if the person in question has already lost half its shield, thats when a fight counts as a 'fight'.

(06-06-2013, 04:44 PM)Ponge Wrote: By the way, it is sad to see that players can't die honourably if they are loosing.
That is another story and I have to agree with you, sadly this seems to happen more and more lately. Escaping from a fight the way you describe is really just bad form.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - SummerMcLovin - 06-06-2013

I'd actually disagree with Jansen here. What you say applies to docking being treated as a PvP death, but this is an actual death - and whether it should be treated as PvP. I would think running off to suicide in another system or out of range instead of getting somewhere you can dock should be treated as a PvP death, since it is saving you the flight home to get more regens. I think I've seen a comment by an admin on the matter (was something to do with jumpdrives possibly) but I'd wait for precise clarification here.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ponge - 06-06-2013

"saving you the flight home to get more regens"

The guy then respawned in the same system where the fight started; he was near the base, with an other guy (whom later fought on my side), he did nothing; docked, then came and attacked me; later the other guy showed up to help me, and he attacked him too, despite doing nothing to him while floating next to the base he docked.

Kudoz for him though, he left the game after he respawned.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Govedo13 - 06-06-2013

It is rule glitch if you does not want to be used against you use your CDs and stay close to the victim. It is nothing compared with the old /rename glitch,early 4.85 no msg F1 or the other cheating noobs that create fake lags or fake hitboxes. When loose take it as a man.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Hone - 06-06-2013

Its not a pvp death as he wasnt in pvp anymore.

(06-06-2013, 05:10 PM)Jansen Wrote:
(06-06-2013, 04:44 PM)Ponge Wrote: By the way, it is sad to see that players can't die honourably if they are loosing.
That is another story and I have to agree with you, sadly this seems to happen more and more lately. Escaping from a fight the way you describe is really just bad form.

Its sad to see oorp condemnation of people roleplaying dishonourable characters, especially from mods.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ponge - 06-06-2013

This was a general remark; in MY opinion, this behaviour ruins proper play, especially on an RP server. And it is annoying when a player comes to you and attacks you with big mouth (or in this case, all the RP before the attack was this: "Make donation"), then uses tricks to escape when he is losing the battle. Another thing that happened earlier, a pirate (not his one that the post is originally about) attacked a transport who was not even involved in our battle (without any demand/warning), when he saw he can't defeat me in a fair battle. Then he escaped through a jumphole, too. In MY opinion, this behaviour is not only annoying, but unfair, too.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Loken - 06-06-2013

If he jumped through the jump hole and killed himself right away so that you couldn't chase I would personally consider that a pvp death. Hard to prove though.