Discovery Gaming Community
Community Input: Starting Location - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Community Contribution (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=260)
+----- Thread: Community Input: Starting Location (/showthread.php?tid=151376)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - Shiki - 06-26-2017

(06-26-2017, 03:35 PM)Croft Wrote: Sorry to disappoint you Sici but moving the starting system to Cortez was not my idea, as you may have gathered from my posts I'm more in favour of a nexus system.
However I can see Teerin's logic behind using Curacao as a starting world, after all it is the only planet within the borderworlds that is home to a generally neutral company with no territorial claims. It rests on that interesting edge of somewhat safe but not quite as it is easily accessable to Rogues, Hackers, Outcasts, Gaians and Corsairs whilst being protected by Liberty, Bretonia, OS&C and Crayter.

In addition, as a borderworld it sits on a trade route and the main go-through for Bretonia-Liberty traffic so theres plenty of chances for new players to meet veterans as they go about their business. Throw in a few things to explore or mine and you're golden.

If that doesn't convince you then simply ask yourself, what could OSC possibly gain by having people undock from one of our planets?

It's literally in 2 jumps from Penny, if dev team have nothing to do aside of moving starting point for 2 systems, thinking that it will change anything in positive aspect, then go right ahead. Disco is great with all those storms that people are trying to make in a glass of water.

Also don't tell me that OSC won't benefit from it please, it's becoming laughable.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - casualty - 06-26-2017

Just literally 2 cents here.

1. It would make sense for new players to start from Freelancer station (e.g. Barrier Gate).
2. It would make sense for new players to start in transit system, not dead end one, to meet more experienced players going through for different reasons.

So, Cortez seems fine, if Barrier Gate is moved there, maybe?

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - Ikarus_Hagen - 06-26-2017

I think a starter system could be in the GMG systems, it's between Kusari and Rheinland and the Omicrons, far enough to Liberty and (joke incoming) Gallia.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - Miltzari - 06-26-2017

An absurd idea from me: Let's use ca01 like a starting location. Removing nomads remains, remaking of nebula and make system background and ambient not so scary as it is.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - Croft - 06-26-2017

Regardless of the intention I'm almost certain someone is thinking along the same lines, so it's a good way of addressing it. Folks can either believe me or not, I'm not going to try and convince people otherwise.
OSC already has its niche and two new ships so we're pretty much solid, would be nice if people stopped to chat with us though.

As for the topic, the GMG systems do connect to a lot of areas and has ample mining but since its classed as a minor nation it could be subject to all sorts of invasions, rebellions and insurgencies that may cause changes to its rep/ZoI. Ideally a starting area should be neutral so things like OS&C, Zoner or Freelancer bases are the best bet, followed by good connections to the various colonies and finally money-making opportunities either in the system or nearby.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - Sombs - 06-26-2017

(06-26-2017, 07:09 PM)Miltzari Wrote: An absurd idea from me: Let's use ca01 like a starting location. Removing nomads remains, remaking of nebula and make system background and ambient not so scary as it is.

That is nothing more than a dev test system.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - SMI-Great.Fox - 06-26-2017

Okay. Everyone step back for a moment and lets look at our options that have been suggested so far. Feel free to correct what I've put down.

Quote:---------------------------
1. Rework Pennsylvania

Pro's:
- Easy to rework

Con's:
-Everyone flocks back into Liberty, little to no redistribution

---------------------------

2. Rework Coronado

Pro's:
-Unique System to work with, open to improvement

Con's:
- Size hinders players

3. Rework Cortez

Pro's:
- Would be a starting point that shows the conflict between Gallia, Liberty and Bretonia

Con's:
- Would clash too much for current storyline
- Would be difficult to rework

4. GMG Space

Pro's:
- Would be a decent place to introduce simple mining/business
- May generate more activity for a dry Kusari

Con's:
- Bland systems

5. Gallia

Pro's:
- Would bring much needed activity to Gallia

Con's
- Too much eye candy puke due to poor system design
- Gallia is hostile to Liberty and Bretonia. Neutrality near impossible.
- Delete Gallia

6. Conn like starting system

Pro's:
- Would be flexible to design
- Allows freedom to learn for new players
- Current players could help in its information. A Community Project.

Con's:
- System would need to be designed and worked on from scratch. Take time.
- One way system

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - Actual Slime - 06-26-2017

I still think rotating around the existing capital systems would be easier. That way everyone gets a fair shake, right? Just change it every month or so and make sure there's a way to make money in each of them.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - HassLHoFF™ - 06-26-2017

Afterall I would stay with penny, but rather would remove the mining field and set 2-3 "rookie" commodities that will have a specific ruleset (like a max for pirate demands and no buy for above 3,6k vessel, just minor ideas there) on Erie. In fact learning the game works best with trading and moving through multiple systems.

RE: Community Input: Starting Location - nOmnomnOm - 06-27-2017

Why is it a Conn to have liberty and bretonia red with the Gallic option?? YOU EITHER CHOOSE TO SHOOT MQNY REDS OR YOU FILL IN OTHER FRIENDLY SYSTEMS LIKE KUSARI AND RHEINLAND THAT NEED ACTIVITY.

Giving Gallia a boost would give kusari and rheonland a boost too!