Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ascendant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The data-slate flew across the room, bouncing off the metal wall with a smack. The room's sole occupant looked on in fury. It all came down to nothing. All the months and years of preaching, all the hope they had poured into finding a peaceful resolution to the seemingly unending conflict between two races; all of it had been annihilated while she had been gone, revisiting her past on an extended trip to see the revived Chrysanthemum movement. Staring at the slate lying face-down on the floor, Izumi wished she had never gone. In hindsight, to go out of the loop for months was idiotic, especially for something as meaningless as a past she'd already put behind her. And yet she had gone, and this was what she'd come back to.

Shuddering, Izumi began to cough violently, topping off the bed she’d been sitting on. It wasn't fair, she reflected briefly. How could a Chrysanthemum have a Cardamine allergy? She'd run the question through her mind a million and one times, ever since the first time a draught of the orange gas had sent her reeling, and could only surmise that it was a cruel twist of fate. The orange dream was miraculous, yes, but the side effects she suffered were decidedly less welcome. Doubly so in that nobody else had to endure them.

After a brief period, Izumi picked herself up off the floor, even more incensed. The Oracles were all but gone. The Houses had reacted to their message of tolerance and unity with arrests, persecution and hatred, the latter more than likely due to the Order's influence. Her communication lines had drawn nothing but static on her screen, but some of the smaller news articles on the neural net had told the full tale, piece by piece.

Izumi clenched her fist in anger. Truth be told, she felt like screaming. What was there left for her? She still had her faithful Orchid, currently parked in one of Barrier Gate's many docking bays, but what could one bomber do in the face of so much injustice? To take the Orchid to war went against everything she’d preached, and she wasn't strong enough to rebuild an entire organisation all by herself; she wouldn't know where to even start. How could she still serve the divine?

A thought struck her then. Something that the High Exarch had spoken to her about, briefly, as part of her education. Even he had spoken of it in hushed, reverent tones, impressing upon her both the danger and sanctity of such an arcane process. Perhaps to even think of herself as worthy was wrong, much less to actively seek it out.
Turning those thoughts and more over in her head, Izumi crossed the room and picked up the data-slate...

Holding back a rising tide of apprehension, Izumi shakily flew the Orchid through the deep purples and blues of the Nomad system. Her nav computer had assigned it the designation "Omicron Iota", but such a generic, computer-generated name didn't do justice to the ethereal beauty of the star system. Truth be told, Izumi wasn't sure any language could ever totally capture the otherworldly, truly alien ambience. She allowed her autopilot to hold formation with the lead vessel, gazing out into the colourful void as the pair of ships wound their way through the nebula.

It hadn’t been easy convincing people that she was truly prepared to go through with this, no easier than it had been to convince herself that she was committed. What information she’d been able to glean about the process from the databanks she had access to was frightening, and were nothing if not thorough in ensuring the reader knew about the permanency of the process. That was assuming the subject survived, which was another point the information banks were less than encouraging on. The fortitude required to successfully pull through was nothing to be sniffed at. Izumi had read through every scrap of information, every strongly-worded warning and every cautionary note what felt like a thousand times over. She’d felt so apprehensive and nervous at points that she’d very nearly backed out on multiple occasions.

And yet, here she was. However close she’d come to losing her resolve, however many times that had happened, she’d still made her way here. Perhaps that kind of determination was what she needed. After all, actions spoke louder than words, right? Maybe all the doubts and caution she felt were just proof she understood what was at stake. Izumi hoped fervently that that was the case.

"Altair Research Complex", stated a monotone voice over the comms, just as the station itself loomed into view. Part of the complex looked almost organic in nature, yet other sections were visibly designed for human habitation. Izumi had never seen anything like it. Other ships could be seen flitting around the vast expanse of the station, with both Nomad and manmade vessels present.

A line of dots appeared on her Orchid's HUD, and she carefully followed them to a docking port. Deftly, she manoeuvred the bomber into place above the landing area, touching it down as gently as possible. The machinery whirred and clicked, searching for the appropriate grooves, before the bolts slammed down and were fixed into place, locking the little bomber safely within the bay.
The usual eerie feeling of Altair was still there, a foreboding presence can be felt from deeper within the complex.

Not very long after touchdown, three men appear in the hanger entrance, slowly making their way over to the Orchid, standing straight with their hands folded together, waiting for the occupant to exit.

One of the men leans over and mutters something to the man in the center, who only nods curtly. Here, there was no fooling around. You were here because there was something you sought. That is how things always have been.
Taking a brief moment to compose herself, Izumi pulled a small lever beside her right leg, allowing the cockpit to pop open with a hiss of escaping air.
The lid of the cockpit swung away, revealing a hangar and three stern looking figures.
Conscious of them sizing her up, she climbed out of the bomber and pulled the hatch shut again. Turning to face the trio, she bows slightly by way of greeting.

"Konnichiwa."
The man in the center speaks up.

"Miss Izumi. You have arrived. This way."
Turning and slowly walking to the Hanger exit, deeper inside of the base.
"It has been some time since you have come here. What is it that you seek to be brought back to the spacial home of the great spirits."

Of course he has heard much of Izumi, they always keep a watch on those who worship the Spirits. Yet he must hear it for himself.

The three lead her into a large chamber, previously used for training, all three turning to look at her once more.
Izumi looks round the chamber, drinking in the atmosphere. It was certainly awe-inspiring.
She makes sure to meet each of their gazes in turn before answering, hoping that she looked more determined than she felt. Straight to the point.

"I wish to undergo the process-"
Izumi cut herself off, unsure how to say it. Surely there was some way more impressive?
"-the process of hybridisation. I wish to receive the greatest gift the spirits can offer."
A spark lights up the upper area of the chamber, as some of the electronics pulse a high amount of current through them, silence fills the room.
The man in the center steps forward, two steps closer to Izumi.

"The process of hybridization..There has been very few who wished to go through this willingly. I assume you know what it consists of."

The other two men turn and walk off, disappearing in one of the many exits of the large chamber.

"You will most likely die. But if you survive, you will experience intimacy with the spirits like no other. What makes you think that they will accept you of all people? There have been many, yet the could not take it. Are you sure you can?"

Nothing is hidden from those who have been gifted with the ability to come here. Each and every one were chosen as trusted by the spirits.
"I am sure," replied Izumi, managing to sound confident despite the butterflies in her stomach. "I have thought long and hard, making certain that this is truly the right path for me to walk, and that I am strong enough for the trials ahead. I accept that my survival is not guaranteed, yet- yet at the same time, my faith in the spirits is unyielding."
Izumi finishes her spiel, eyeing the electronics in the chamber with mixed curiosity and apprehension.
"As the spirits wish, so shall it be." she murmurs.
The man glares piercingly at her for a few moments, taking in her appearance for how nervous she looked, and most importantly, attitude.

"You have your mind set on something most people do not. Many people are forced into doing this, and die in the end."

The man begins to walk over to one of the exits, motioning for her to come with him, through the spiraling complex they resided in.

"You will lose what it means to be human. To become free from the vile beings we can be, and to join the purity as the spirits."

Altair's hallways do have some certain organic compounds, wires seeming almost alive hanging in the hallways. It was not the most neat of bases, but it accomplished much more due to the spirits.
"A brutal fate.. But the greatest gift at the same time. Are you absolutely sure this is what your fate is to be."
Choosing her words carefully, Izumi responded.
"I am sure. Unlike those who have the gift forced upon them, I have both chosen and prepared for this blessing."
Glancing round the corridor, Izumi continues in a steely tone.
"To receive this gift, I am prepared to sacrifice what it means- what it means to be human."

Even just saying it made her feel more confident. Maybe that was the point; she could not afford doubt at this stage.
They reach the end of the hallway, a large door at the end of it.
The man turns his head to look at Izumi for a few seconds before nodding curtly.

"Very well.. You have convinced me that you have a chance. The spirits hold your fate from this point onwards."

The door opening to a sight of many people walking around the place, going about their business, each and every one of them loyal to the Nomads, forced, or not.

"You are free to do as you wish, we begin tomorrow. Rest while you still have the option to."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6