Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Military Funeral...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was a warm day on New London. The military compound just across the road from the assorted people, some in civilian wear, a man in a wheelchair, wearing the standard apparel of the men at Borderworlds Exports, a man, who's build is meant for full combat armour, wearing a suit that's clearly unknown territory for him, assorted Armed Forces officers of varying rank, battle dress unifrom adorned beautifully. A young Kusarian girl sat near the front, Ashley Harper, a black dress that complimented her well. Sat next to her was a tall, Libertonian man, James Harper, her husband. Everybody began to file into their seats as the Vicar stepped up. The graveyard around them too lit and warm, for the occasion. The vicar began to speak, talk through the ceremony, as they all sat and thought of what they knew of Tony in his life, what they enjoyed, the conversations they had, and what some wished they had said.

Finally, the Vicar finished his speech, and invited the young man in the suit, Joseph Wolf, up to the stand.

Joseph: Thank you everyone, it was hard finding out, that Dad was finally gone. I guess he was always destined to go down with a fight eh? *he made a small laugh to himself, but his face soon fell* I was close with my Father, but our meetings where always cut short. But i enjoyed every moment i spent with my father, and as a boy, he taught me everything i know today, how to fly, how to fight, how to shoot straight, how to look after a family. He was always preparing me for this day, so i might make him proud. In my eyes, i can only try my hardest, just as we all should, to aspire to be the best we can be, i guess thats what i am trying to say here, and what Dad would have asked from us all... *he looks up, a tear glinting in his eye* Thank you.

He walked back down to his seat, and the man in the wheelchair moved up to the plate, but stopped beside the stand, and looked out on the audience.

I thank you all as well. I guess what i have to say is fairly similar to what my Brother said, so i wont go through it again. What i will say it this, I respect the bravery of my father, and i think we should all take note of it, that no matter the strength of our opponent, we can always make a difference. *He looks down at his legs, then back at the audience* So long as we try. I ask you think the same as my father, that no matter what, you do what you must, for your family, your friends, and your people, those you live to defend, help, or live with and near. Joseph is right here, to aspire to be the best we can be, is something we must all look deep within ourselves for, the inspiration, to be as good as our father was, to make his memory proud. Thank you.

He rolled back down to his position, and the Vicar stepped up again, he called the next person up to speak, to say what their thoughts and memorys of Tony where, and for those that spent his final moments with him to make their comment...
Admiral Hall, being in hurry, takes the microphone first. He cleans his throat and brings the microphone closer to his mouth. It breaks the silence, until now only disturbed by a few occasional coughs, with the last kind of depressive creaks suitable to happen at that moment.
"I suppose we'll need a new lieutenant".
He shrugs, calmly saying the cruel sentence, showing no sign of being even slightly touched, nor of any other emotion. Turning his back, he rashly leaves the site, as there are much more important things to do.
A woman starts crying.
"Oh dear. Another one lost. "Lieutenant Andrew Thatcher said.He thought for a moment. Then realizes something crucial. "I don't even know this guy! Well, I guess he's my comrade, I'll pay my respects anyway..." He walks over to the grave, and solemnly pays his respects. Then he realizes his patrol shift was now, and slowly edges towards the exit. As he left the graveyard, he made a silent prayer. "Dear god, please don't let the admiralty board know about this....oh, and peace be upon that guys family. Amen" (After tripping over a gravestone) he took a last glance towards the grave, and made a promise, to not let the Gallic royal navy get away with these crimes. And then, he left.
Ashley walked up to the grave slowly; she placed two black roses and a red one on the on the casket. She held back the tears she had; it was hard enough losing someone but losing someone she cared for?

"I'll miss you...you...were like...my father...now even you are gone..."

She walked back to were James was; laying against his side; tears forming quickly as she sat down
A somber man with a gray beard and hair slowly came to the podium. He was dressed in black, except for a gold edging to the top of the high collar his tunic had. Pinned to that collar on either side was a small golden wreath intersected by a sword and a quill, the insignia of the Judges. The man’s face seemed troubled and his eyes bore a sadness of having seen far too much tragedy and pain for one lifetime.

“It is hard” he began. “To understand why, why one of so many gifts and such a richness of life should be taken from us. A gallant comrade, a loving father, a valiant defender of Bretonia, all this and much more he was.”

He looks down at the podium to collect his thought a moment before continuing. “Now he is gone and may live only in blessed memory as we look back upon his many deeds and accomplishments. Two sons he has left behind to carry his memory and name. To them and to you all I and the Judges wish our deepest condolences.”

The man then turned and slowly left the podium to vanish in the crowd.
Ian stands in the back. He received the note to appear in full ceremonial uniform but decided against it as he never liked the stiff formal coat. On his left side are standing a man and woman at his age. When the three sat at the bar last night they decided not to go all official, they know Tony hated the stiff red coat asswell. And as a admiral Ian approved it.

All three wear a older model black flightsuit, a white roll-neck sweater and on top a leather flight jacket with a patch of the 358th. In honor of a fallen comrade they decided to wear their old suits once more. They listen to the vicars speech about Tonys past. They see Admiral Hall walk up the stand and say the one sentence and Ian feels the others stiffen up. He waves his friends to remain calm. and starts walking towards the stand.

Halfway he bumps into Hall and whispers angry. “Hall that was the most respectless speech oi’ve ever heard from ye. I think you should be a man and apologize to the family for a man that gave his bloody life for Bretonia.” Ian sees Hall look at him but decides not to waste anymore breath at him during this funeral and continues walking to the pedestal.

He starts to speak.
“At first my condolences to his son Joseph wich i met a while back under different circumstances” he nods towards the man “And the family of course, as well as Tony's friends." He takes a breath. "I knew Tony from the time we both served in the same squadron. We’ve seen some crazy action those days. But careers took us both on a different path after that time. I knew Tony as a fine chap. I know for a fact boys” And he looks at Tony’s sons “He was proud on you. A man i could trust as my wingman, a man who loved the Armed Forces and always in for a joke. He could never let a opportunity go and sneak in admiral Nelson's office and steal a few of his Cabarrilio cigars. The trouble he brought us with his action are still fresh in my memory.” He laughs with wet eyes.

"A respected pilot as Tony who served so long in the Armed Forces does not deserve to be buried as a lieutenant, thats why the admiralty board decided to promote him to the rank of captain posthumously and award him the Red Cross medal. Joseph would you do the honor and accept it on your father's behalf?

“This said i think tony would have loved to smoke with us one more time so here we go Tony.” The other two pilots walk up the to Ian and hand him a cigar. All three set fire to the cigar and while smoking they bring a salute. “Tally ho Tally ho, hell from above… Fair sails old friend.” They walk back in the crowd in silent.
Joseph Steps up to the podium, manages a simple "thank you" to Ian, then steps aside to allow him to finish. As he does, and they return to their seats, he steps up one final time...

To all of you who had nice words to say, i thank you. It is clear to me my father was surrounded by some of the best we, as humans, have to offer. I think he would be happy, to know that some of his closer friends *he indicates the old 358th members standing to one side* and even someone whose respect he eared *he indicates the Judge, standing in the crowd* have said some nice things, but i think he would be happier, if we could all stand tall, stand strong, united against the foe that took him down. Stand together, united as humanity should be, and make Gallia free, just as he wished Bretonians. Judges, drink in his name, toast to him if you will, for he will toast to you, and your ideals, just as i will, for a better future, a better home, a better humanity...

With that, he steps over to the grave, lending his assistance in lowering his father, his final goodbye, to the man he respected most of all...