Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Whoever Fights Monsters...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.”

Commander's Log 281/4: I received the the following message from HQ Rho at 13.49 Zulu:

[Image: ASecretReportWithintheGuild2.png]

Commander Elonen, as of recently, Nomad activity has been on a noticeable increase. The Omicrons are witnessing a gradually build up of hostile xenoform assets. Small Nomad expenditionary forces have even been sighted in House Space. These signs do not bode well for the future of our species.

We need to find out what the Squidlings are up to and we need to aquire more of their technology for our own research and development teams.

Double your efforts and find something we can work with - weapons, shield components, extraordinary artifacts, power cells - anything to get Guild technology up to speed. The Order needs a concrete reminder of why Nomad technology should be harnessed.

A small reconnaisance vessel has already returned from Wilde Space with data on a potential target. Proceed to the derelict vessel Westerwald immediately. Coordinates will be transmitted shortly.

Oh, and Commander, any technology aquired will not be tampered with by you or any of your crew. We mean it.

End of transmission.
Commander's Log 282/4: Artifact aquired.

[Image: Artifact2.png]

We extracted the artifact from a freighter of Rheinland design at the given coordinates. We suspect the that the ship had somehow been commandeered by the Wilde, judging from it's condition and position. Hostile resistance was light.

This artifact differs from the samples that are ubiquitous in the Omicrons. It is faintly luminescent and oddly heavy for an object of its size. The markings found on most specimens are absent from ours. Not a clue concerning it's function or purpose.

We've magnetically sealed the artifact in a special stasis box for transport. I have motion detectors and surveillance cameras active in the holding bay just to be on the safe side. We should be in Rho in less than two weeks.
Commander's Log 283/4: Unforeseen complications.

[Image: 9f5d5f15-3386-4b77-9fcc-2ffc30df098d.jpg]

At 03.12 Zulu, internal ship sensors began to detect energy spikes eminating from the holding bay. At approximately the same time, the Byzantium dropped unexpectedly out of cruise as both navigation and weapon systems went offline.

We are currently adrift, defenseless and blind. We are unable to recover data on our last recorded position before the loss of power. However, fortune hasn't completely turned her back on us - life support hasn't been affected by the anomaly.

In order to preserve food, water and oxygen supplies, I've ordered all non-essential crew members into cryosleep. Our skeleton crew consists on our tactical officer (Telmark), chief engineer (Johansson), science officer (Armitage), physician (Rutanen), chief navigator (Redding) and myself.

We consider it very likely that the energy anomaly and the artifact are interconnected. Armitage has just returned from the holding bay with news that the previously lifeless chunk of crystal is emiting some type of energy. Normally that would be downright fascinating, but the current situation has somewhat subdued any sense of scientific curiosity on my part.

I have currently delayed transmitting a distress signal so as not to alert hostile elements. I realize that I may be erring on the side of caution, but a visual scan of our position indicates that we are not far from Delta. No need awakening dragons.
Commander's Log 284/4: Out of the proverbial frying pan...

[Image: 8300bc7a-c703-4abd-8501-241d8f343302.jpg]

Nine days ago, at 14.39 Zulu, the Byzantium spontaneously initiated cruise. Weapon and navigation systems were still offline.

Today at 21.10 Zulu we dropped out of cruise. Navigation systems went online and we realized the gravity of our situation. Directional thrusters are non-responsive. We are currently in Iota, well into Nomad Space, dead in the water.

And weapon systems are still offline. Not an ideal situation.

Armitage and Johansson have been carrying out a rudimentary analysis of the artifact. Given our current predicament, I don't think the Guildmasters would disapprove.

Well, maybe they would, but this artifact is the current source of our woes. If we can get any clues as how to regain control of the ship, we will tamper with that artifact seven ways to Sunday.

So far, we've only encountered lesser morphs. Nothing overly sinister.