Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer Accounts Backup: HOW TO THE OLD SKOOL WAY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok so here is a full proof way of backing up your Freelancer Multiplayer IDs, so that if you ever have a computer crash or any problems with FLAM / Launchpad which save your accounts as .ADF Files you can quite easily load your accounts without fear of them being corrupted or lost.

Reason why I do it this way is coz, Disco Launchpad is buggy and I have lost accts that were corrupted by the .ADF file compiling process. With .reg files you can load your FL account ID instantly without the need to install programs like FLAM or Launchpad to do it.

See all multiplayer account ids are actually .reg files and every time you change an account the associated reg file entry in the regedit database changes too.

So the idea is create a .reg file for each account you have, this is how you do it:

1. Open the regedit program in Windows part of your C Drive.

[Image: FL1.jpg]

Look at the interface and get to know it, its easy to use so dont fear thinking you can mess things up. But dont however go playing around with other reg files in regedit just keep focused on the task at hand!

2. Click HKEY_CURRENT_USER to access the drop down menu on the left hand side.

[Image: FL10.jpg]

3. Then click: Software > Microsoft > Microsoft Games > Freelancer > 1.0

[Image: FL2.jpg]

[Image: FL3.jpg]

[Image: FL4.jpg]

[Image: FL5.jpg]

4. This screen is very important all the data on the right is the registry information for your Multiplayer Account ID.

[Image: FL5.jpg]

5. All we do now is create a reg file for this data by EXPORTING IT, go to File > Export.

[Image: FL6.jpg]

6. Then you will get this screen:

[Image: FL7.jpg]

7. Give the .reg file a name say Account1 and select where you want to save it to say My Documents or Desktop

8. Close regedit, Go to the folder where you saved the .reg file in this case Documents you will see the file listed, Click it and hit yes to add the file to your registry:

[Image: FL8.jpg]

9. Then you will get this pop up, hit ok and your done

[Image: FL9.jpg]

Steps 8 and 9 load the freelancer account into your computer.

This method of backing up your accounts is old skool but Concrete, because any comp you load the reg files into will instantly update your FL Multiplayer ID linked to the reg file you load.

Note Before: 1 reg file will load only one account, so if you have 10 Multiplayer IDs (accounts) that means you need to make 10 .reg files for the 10 accounts

Once you have made reg files for all your Multiplayer IDs (Accounts) BACK THEM UP: by saving them into a ZIP / Winrar File and email it to yourself. Now your accounts are safe forever and accessible anywhere at anytime.

With this method you also dont need additional programs to load the ids or switch between them as you can just change reg files to change Accounts!

Enjoy Smile
Hey hey that's pretty handy Smile
I should do that sometime Tongue
assume that was an expendable account you demo'd? Tongue

Also, just wanna point out you don't have to export over n over, you can open both your .adf and the registry file with any text editor to obtain your account name and signature.

Actually, all you really need is this line, edit in your AC details and save to a text file with the extension .reg:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\1.0]
"InstallKey"="12345678-22345678-32345678-42345678-5234"
"MPAccountName"="yourac"
"MPAccountNameSig"="yoursig"
To back up your accounts, instead of unnecessarily creating multiple registry files it is much more direct to directly email your Account name and NameSig to yourself.

Also extremely useful for making new accounts alongside FL account generator, switching accounts quickly etc.

Also to clear up some confusion made in the OP, I would suggest you update it to reflect this newfound knowledge you apparently don't have:
1. All multiplayer account ids are actually NOT .reg files. they are simply a account key- a string of text, usually generated upon the installation of FL, stored in your windows registry.
2. If you have your so-called adf files, you won't even need to touch regedit to store your account number. You can open them up using notepad, copy down your account, and store it anywhere that supports the storage of text
3. All accounts are stored serverside, it is impossible for you to lose them. What is in the .adf files as well as in the registry files are simply essentially a username and password, and I cannot fathom how you would lose your account due to the corruption of a text file.
(11-13-2013, 08:18 AM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]assume that was an expendable account you demo'd? Tongue

Also, just wanna point out you don't have to export over n over, you can open both your .adf and the registry file with any text editor to obtain your account name and signature.

Actually, all you really need is this line, edit in your AC details and save to a text file with the extension .reg:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\1.0]
"InstallKey"="12345678-22345678-32345678-42345678-5234"
"MPAccountName"="yourac"
"MPAccountNameSig"="yoursig"
To back up your accounts, instead of unnecessarily creating multiple registry files it is much more direct to directly email your Account name and NameSig to yourself.

Also extremely useful for making new accounts alongside FL account generator, switching accounts quickly etc.

Also to clear up some confusion made in the OP, I would suggest you update it to reflect this newfound knowledge you apparently don't have:
1. All multiplayer account ids are actually NOT .reg files. they are simply a account key- a string of text, usually generated upon the installation of FL, stored in your windows registry.
2. If you have your so-called adf files, you won't even need to touch regedit to store your account number. You can open them up using notepad, copy down your account, and store it anywhere that supports the storage of text
3. All accounts are stored serverside, it is impossible for you to lose them. What is in the .adf files as well as in the registry files are simply essentially a username and password, and I cannot fathom how you would lose your account due to the corruption of a text file.

First off the Regedit files are keys clickable keys linking your fl account to your computer so you can access your accounts no matter which computer your on.

Sure you can use the .ADFs but the .ADFs can be easily corrupted. For e.g. When someone gives me an .adf file and I extract it using FLAM all my other accts get wiped and it doesn't load it properly I can't afford to take that risk of loosing my accounts. So I make reg keys for each of my accounts, reg keys are also superior in that you don't need a program to extract the account data like you do for .adf files as the reg editor is built into windows.

Yes account ids are Reg Keys because every time you change ID (account) the reg entries change in the registry, if you can extract your account as a clickable file a .reg file and it's these files that are changed then they are .reg files.

All you have done is describe the account ID as a string of data / signature whatever you called it but it's still information listed in the reg file associated with the ID.

Having accounts as master back ups in the form of .reg files is superior than all other account maintenance methods, as said above this is an old school method but full proof. If your too lazy to do it this way then use what ever method suits you.
But this is how I do it, and never missed a beat!
you say launchpad is buggy? Ive never had a problem, never had an account lost, and back up/export all accounts easily with it

what bugs are you referring to?
(11-13-2013, 09:41 AM)Black Widow Wrote: [ -> ]First off the REGISTRY files are keys CONTAINING your fl account. double click them and regedit will add them to the registry.

Sure you can use the .ADFs I mean opening the .adf file to obtain your accounts, ...loosing my accounts because you probably haven't learnt how to properly use FLAM. And I completely agree with you that using registry files are superior

Yes account ids are IN Reg Keys because every time you change ID (account) the reg entries change in the registry, if you can extract (from where? registry files are uncompressed text format. nothing is really extracted, regedit just simply copies the data in the file into the windows registry)

All you have done is describe the account ID as a bunch of text whatever you called it but it's still information listed in the reg file containing the ID.

Having accounts as *snip* back ups in the form of .reg files is superior than all other account managment methods
I never once expressed my disagreement with the method- I use it myself. I am merely expressing my disagreement with you. Your wording is giving me nerd rage

, as said above this is a manual method but full - (but apparently not fool)proof.

If your too lazy to do it this way then use what ever method suits you. fyi steps 1-6 are completely unneccesary if you already have the adf file, directly copying in your ID from the adf file is waaay faster than making your accounts one by one

you also forgot to mention that with your method, the accounts have to be activated before you can back them up, again completely unnecessary for people already using FLAM.

Also, my main objection to registry files instead of simply posting
Code:
"MPAccountName"="92e46964-b9466e98-0f0e3dbd-71d4e2a9"
"MPAccountNameSig"="0cab274b-0d4fac9b-0d09d3f2-1fd1e7d3"
as a backup or even transferring your account is that while registry files can be malicious or dangerous if not exported properly, nothing malicious can hide in a simple text file.

Here's how your turial should have ended:

To make registry files for the rest of your accounts
1. open up the adf file with wordpad
2. open up your newly created .reg file with notepad
3. find the first 2 lines of your MPAccountName and MPAccountNameSig
4. copy them into their appropriate positions in your reg file
5. save as new .reg file
6. find the second 2 lines of your MPAccountName and MPAccountNameSig, these steps for all of your accounts
This is plain stupid. Technically speaking you backup your registry witch is part of your windows. The same thing that goes poof if virus hits you or if your HDD burns out. So your backup is useless and it could take up to 1-2 hours if you have a lot of ships. Not to mention that this works only for Windows.
The only reasonable solution is not to use FLAM at all. FLAM is flawed and bugs backups that leads to corrupted ADFs so you loose your accounts.

Just use Discovery Launchpad backup all your accounts in single .ADF file that is couple KBs big, then just email it to yourself/ upload it to your google drive/dropbox as well and save it also somewhere on your HDD. It takes 1 min and it is fool-prof and works flawlessly. All the launchpad bugs are not existent if you install the required NET framework that is as I said required to run the program.
use FAM-ng (sun)
(11-13-2013, 05:47 PM)Govedo13 Wrote: [ -> ]This is plain stupid. Technically speaking you backup your registry witch is part of your windows. The same thing that goes poof if virus hits you or if your HDD burns out. So your backup is useless and it could take up to 1-2 hours if you have a lot of ships. Not to mention that this works only for Windows.
The only reasonable solution is not to use FLAM at all. FLAM is flawed and bugs backups that leads to corrupted ADFs so you loose your accounts.

Just use Discovery Launchpad backup all your accounts in single .ADF file that is couple KBs big, then just email it to yourself/ upload it to your google drive/dropbox as well and save it also somewhere on your HDD. It takes 1 min and it is fool-prof and works flawlessly. All the launchpad bugs are not existent if you install the required NET framework that is as I said required to run the program.

Well doing it the way you described runs on the same principles as doing it with reg keys, if you back up your reg keys for each account via email it still saved for future use as you suggested with the ADFs, I suppose regs are inferior as is you need one reg file for each account whereas an ADF can store all accounts on one file but Launchpad needs extra software in which to run. Reg files dont need such software they are just plug and play literally click and go.

Also because you can very easily switch accounts using reg keys without the need of a program like Launchpad to access them then that makes for fast account switching if you have stuff floating in space that you need xfer between chars.

This is the way I do it, its very old school and maybe unnecessary but at least I took the time to share my method.
(11-13-2013, 10:42 AM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2013, 09:41 AM)Black Widow Wrote: [ -> ]First off the REGISTRY files are keys CONTAINING your fl account. double click them and regedit will add them to the registry.

Sure you can use the .ADFs I mean opening the .adf file to obtain your accounts, ...loosing my accounts because you probably haven't learnt how to properly use FLAM. And I completely agree with you that using registry files are superior

Yes account ids are IN Reg Keys because every time you change ID (account) the reg entries change in the registry, if you can extract (from where? registry files are uncompressed text format. nothing is really extracted, regedit just simply copies the data in the file into the windows registry)

All you have done is describe the account ID as a bunch of text whatever you called it but it's still information listed in the reg file containing the ID.

Having accounts as *snip* back ups in the form of .reg files is superior than all other account managment methods
I never once expressed my disagreement with the method- I use it myself. I am merely expressing my disagreement with you. Your wording is giving me nerd rage

, as said above this is a manual method but full - (but apparently not fool)proof.

If your too lazy to do it this way then use what ever method suits you. fyi steps 1-6 are completely unneccesary if you already have the adf file, directly copying in your ID from the adf file is waaay faster than making your accounts one by one

you also forgot to mention that with your method, the accounts have to be activated before you can back them up, again completely unnecessary for people already using FLAM.

Also, my main objection to registry files instead of simply posting
Code:
"MPAccountName"="92e46964-b9466e98-0f0e3dbd-71d4e2a9"
"MPAccountNameSig"="0cab274b-0d4fac9b-0d09d3f2-1fd1e7d3"
as a backup or even transferring your account is that while registry files can be malicious or dangerous if not exported properly, nothing malicious can hide in a simple text file.

Here's how your turial should have ended:

To make registry files for the rest of your accounts
1. open up the adf file with wordpad
2. open up your newly created .reg file with notepad
3. find the first 2 lines of your MPAccountName and MPAccountNameSig
4. copy them into their appropriate positions in your reg file
5. save as new .reg file
6. find the second 2 lines of your MPAccountName and MPAccountNameSig, these steps for all of your accounts

My problem with FLAM maybe that when people send me .ADF files generated in Launhpad and I try to open them in FLAM, all my accounts I have saved in FLAm get wiped and account detail in the Launchpad .ADF file is corrupted. Seem there is some miscommunication between FLAM and Launchpad in terms of file transparency.
Pages: 1 2