Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer IFF | i r undercover u no can shoot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay. So. New rules. Coolio.

A Freelancer IFF Liberty Navy ID Raven's Talon with Flashpoints and Debs is a Freelancer to the outside world, si? And there's no repercussions. I've already seen random players do it just for the excellent trolling potential. "You can't shoot me, I'm just a civilian!".

So you want to be undercover? There should be consequences. If almost every ID can get a Freelancer IFF, then they should also act like Freelancers. In other words, a Liberty Navy ship with a Freelancer IFF should not be able to engage criminals at will, should not be able to enforce laws, and so forth. After all, they're Freelancers.

If people are expected to treat others by IFF, then logically those others should also be restricted to acting in accordance with their IFF.

I don't know if any of this made sense, I kind of typed it out quickly.

Discuss.
Faction ID forces IFF now so good luck with that
When did that change? I saw a GRN ID, Freelancer IFF ship near Freeport 4 a day or two ago.

Droprep works magic.
It changed with the mod update

besides, you can always get someone asking to look at IDs, say it is fake, then roflcopter your way to pew
So, you can't get full Freelancer rep, and then drop your faction rep so that Freelancer becomes highest and stays the broadcast IFF (even if the ID then bumps up your faction rep to full, it'll not be the 'flashing one')?

(11-18-2013, 11:37 PM)kikatsu Wrote: [ -> ]besides, you can always get someone asking to look at IDs, say it is fake, then roflcopter your way to pew

When is it fine that a character can identify a fake? When is it powergaming?
I don't know why people are complain about this now either. At least the first part regarding being undercover;
Mercs and BHs can just shoot them up, which solves that problem.
However, you're right about how it's odd that they can just give orders, even though they're posing as freelancers. However, in that context, doesn't that mean they've blown their cover, and are prone to shooting by other characters?
IMO I wouldn't give a crap if I saw a Freelancer IFF'd Navy ID'd ship, I'd just shoot it because of it's 'Pilot ID'.

IMO, I think we should just force people to use same ID same IFFs. So for example a Liberty Navy ID'd player is forced to use a Liberty Navy IFF.
Clarification needed: If I see a GRN ID / Freelancer IFF ship on my LN Ship can I freely engage said ship since his ID is GRN, i.e. Does ID still supersede IFF in terms of engagement rules?
Spec Ops ID => Spec Ops IFF

I can roll with that...

If such a change was made, we might finally see the death of pirate IDd people with Freelancer IFFs whistling innocently as they sit next to a lane.
Quote:If people are expected to treat others by IFF, then logically those others should also be restricted to acting in accordance with their IFF.

I've struggled with this as well. I'm starting to get into the swing of how this is supposed to work.

Your 'undercover' Liberty Navy friend can still be treated like a freelancer. If he makes a demand of you, to say, drop cardamine or synth marijana, etc, you can, inrp, challenge his authority to do so. Meaning you don't have to listen to him. Now, that doesnt mean he can't destroy you for not listening. It just means if he does decide to go forth and do that, he's off the hook. BUT you should be rp'ing 'hey you're a freelancer, why should i do what you say?' or something like that. He should in turn claim he is 'undercover' or actually LN. If he doesnt, I'm not totally sure, but I would file a report on that. If ID's will be remaining oorp, and he says nothing about LN authority during a demand, you have no reason to listen to him. Listening to him in that case would be acknowledging the ID and be metagaming (stange i know).

So inrp you can ask for some ID or proof he is part of the Liberty Navy. Up to you if you accept his RP or not.

If you have a chance to make it and don't wanna take his s**T you are fully within your inrp rights to say 'hey you're just a freelancer and have no right to make such a demand!' He has to claim he is police or navy or its now his own fault for not being taken seriously. But if he kills you, he is within his rights as well.

I dont think faction ID's force IFF's now. Some do, but as stated a properly applied /droprep will swap up the faction IFF for the next one on the list.

It also works vice versa. If he had a LN IFF and freelancer ID, you would treat him like LN. So if he demands contraband, he's in server violation. odds are you'll see ships like that sort of acting LN but not making demands, maybe just joining in on battles (or they want the protection of the title). In that case you should listen to his demand and can say 'yes sir, sorry sir' and surrender the cargo. But then you could also turn around and file a report on him.
(11-18-2013, 11:39 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, I think we should just force people to use same ID same IFFs. So for example a Liberty Navy ID'd player is forced to use a Liberty Navy IFF.

I don't know why this hasn't been the case the whole time. It just makes more sense. The current system is counter-intuitive and is just causing problems which would be easily dealt with by the aforementioned solution.

I guess, like Zappers, the idea and intention was good, but unfortunately it just isn't working out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4