Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What's the best way to get $$ for a real ship?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ok, so apparently there's no story missions in multiplayer, and you start with basically nothing, so it's insanely boring. So what's the best way to make some initial $$ so I can buy a ship that's actually fun to play?

If it's going to take weeks of grinding before it's any fun, I'd rather play another game.
What exacly you calling -fun- ?
Even mining can be fun, when there is a nice interaction. You can use miner restart, and mine helium, you can mine for someone other, you can try to join some mining faction.
Why mining- for beginner, it's very good source of starting money.

Also, your statment, about week of griding before real fun doesn't looks very promising... Ppl were spending months to get capital ships and upgrades for them, so don't expect, that money will fall from a sky.
Mining for transports at hotspots is good. You can also contact shipping companies to see about doing scouting for convoys.or transports for a few million here and there.
Quote:If it's going to take weeks of grinding before it's any fun, I'd rather play another game.

Well yes, this is an MMORPG. The 'fun' comes from building a character(s) and taking the time to put effort into your ship, character background, and gameplay style.

This is a role playing server with an ongoing storyline. The cannon is extremely important to maintain in order to keep this little 'universe' together. In other words we dont just want random newbs popping up with battleships blowing everybody up after an hour of gameplay.

Kids these days, they need an attention span, even for gamers!

Which means take your time, get experience, gain knowledge and wealth. There's so much to this game it will take you years to see it all and learn everything.

And like everything in life, you gotta start out small and work your way up the ladder.

So for money, even the fastest money, you gotta break the lowest pay scale and get a transport. That way you can at least ship goods, and look for good 'routes' to pick up stuff and sell them somewhere else. Once you make some good money, its true, a lot of great ships and experiences open up.

There are also miners of all sorts of ores and metals dying for transports to sell their ore too. When this happens, everyone makes something.

But if you seek instant gratification, you won't find it here. These characters do take time, effort, practice, and planning. Thats why most of us play.

So don't think of it as a place to instantly have the best of everything, cuz if that were the case, everyone would have whatever and the coolest stuff would be worthless and old news. Like any game of this kind, you gotta be born first to live Wink
probably a COD player.
/restart Beginner

Buy something small with a train CD, but traders for 1 mil at a time and CD them when they don't give it to you.

Do this a few times and buy a bomber (~24million for full setup), then start pirating for 2 million a piece, if they are a 5k transport pirate them for 3 or 4 million, if they have ~3k ore then pirate them for 5 or 6 million, if they have 5k ore then pirate them for 8-10 million.

Give that a few days and you can buy a 5k transport yourself and trade ore for a battleship or cruiser. Or get a friend with a Freelancer ID'd 3k and just cargo pirate for everything you can carry and make even more in less time, try to stick around places that have high sell points for ore. 30 million per ore trader that comes by adds up fast and it's fun.

Pirate near a gate and use the lane to block it's guns, watch for lawfuls, if they're coming from your back, shoot the lane and fly through the gate and then fly up/down/left/right to run from then, return to pirating when they're gone. If they come FROM the gate, go straight through the gate as it takes them 30 seconds to go back through, fly off plain once again and return to piracy once they're gone.

~Rorry's guide to non-conflict profit piracy.
You could always get a loan. But they will expect you to pay it back, so you'll want to put the loan into buying a 5k transport, then get to hauling. If you can find some miners, hauling ore will get you the best $ for your time.

Or you could try a Salvager/Raba and pirate npc transports. This seems very profitable in singleplayer but I have not yet had a chance to try it in MP; the transport npcs don't spawn until the player population gets low enough.

There's no way to soften this: Disco FL is a time commitment. Only the main server has anyone playing on it, and if you don't enjoy the text-based roleplay, the lore+atmosphere, you're not going to enjoy your time here.
Quote:Buy something small with a train CD, but traders for 1 mil at a time and CD them when they don't give it to you.
[quote]

wat?

Piracy is fun, but hardly a way to earn enough creds for a battleship. And doing this ^ is dirty, won't earn you any friends.

Thats the key actually. This is an MMO for a reason, find some others like you. 2 guys can make a fortune. Each of you get a miner and a transport. Mine for each other, switch, and repeat. Ship together.

I'd get some experience in knowing how the game works, and its economy, before going out and trying to pirate your way into early retirement.

After you get a feel for things, thats when its time to go the more aggressive route. Until then if you have little to no experience at the game yet, you'll find piracy a little harder to succeed at than it was made to seem. Rorry's got the exp. under his belt, so i'm sure it seems like no sweat.
(11-22-2013, 10:55 PM)scoutcc15 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so apparently there's no story missions in multiplayer, and you start with basically nothing, so it's insanely boring. So what's the best way to make some initial $$ so I can buy a ship that's actually fun to play?

If it's going to take weeks of grinding before it's any fun, I'd rather play another game.
Read the rules. Browse trading faction forums. Choose one that provides starting ship of some kind. Profit.
(11-22-2013, 11:42 PM)TheUnforgiven Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If it's going to take weeks of grinding before it's any fun, I'd rather play another game.

Well yes, this is an MMORPG. The 'fun' comes from building a character(s) and taking the time to put effort into your ship, character background, and gameplay style.

This is a role playing server with an ongoing storyline. The cannon is extremely important to maintain in order to keep this little 'universe' together. In other words we dont just want random newbs popping up with battleships blowing everybody up after an hour of gameplay.

Kids these days, they need an attention span, even for gamers!

Which means take your time, get experience, gain knowledge and wealth. There's so much to this game it will take you years to see it all and learn everything.

And like everything in life, you gotta start out small and work your way up the ladder.

So for money, even the fastest money, you gotta break the lowest pay scale and get a transport. That way you can at least ship goods, and look for good 'routes' to pick up stuff and sell them somewhere else. Once you make some good money, its true, a lot of great ships and experiences open up.

There are also miners of all sorts of ores and metals dying for transports to sell their ore too. When this happens, everyone makes something.

But if you seek instant gratification, you won't find it here. These characters do take time, effort, practice, and planning. Thats why most of us play.

So don't think of it as a place to instantly have the best of everything, cuz if that were the case, everyone would have whatever and the coolest stuff would be worthless and old news. Like any game of this kind, you gotta be born first to live Wink

The point of playing an online game is to play with/against other PEOPLE. Hence why I don't want to spend tons of time running mindless transports from point A to point B
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5