Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Trope Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sarah in Tropes

"And do what? Travel the stars? See the Universe? Yeah. I think I could get used to that."

Continuing the theme of supplying my characters with their own tropes lists, I present, for your viewing pleasure, Sarah’s life in tropes. Feel free to add your own characters and post them here.

Actual Pacifist: Unusually for a revolutionary, Sarah hates the idea of physical confrontation, and she would rather walk away from a fight then cause injury. She has no such compunctions when it comes to overloading starship systems; however.
Cloudcuckloolander: Early on, Sarah struggled to see far enough beyond her machines and plans to think about the human implications of them, or anything that far beyond the next engine she was working on. She got over it.
Demolitions Expert: In her own words:
Sarah: I can fix a ship and I can take her apart again, if I have to.
Heroic BSOD: Seeing a Junker burnt alive and baked into the floor of Rochester’s hangar bay by Harmless’ engines during a confrontation left a lasting mark on Sarah, to say nothing of the immediate horror. The fact it was done to keep her safe only worsened the act, in her eyes. She hasn’t carried a lethal weapon since.
Kleptomaniac Hero: Sarah’s about as close as one can get to being the physical embodiment of accidental larceny. It’s not that she actively sets out to steal things, she simply doesn’t hold to the same view of ownership as most people.
Sarah: Relax. If he didn’t want me to take the ship, I’m sure he would have told us.
Loads And Loads of Characters: Hardly surprising, considering the length of Sarah’s travels. She’s got contacts everywhere; from the Zoners to the Liberty Navy, and even a few semi-friendly nomads.
Nomad Advocate: Sarah has had more contact with Sirius’ resident aliens than most. She might not agree with what they’re doing, but she sympathises with why they're doing it.
Spoiled Brat: Sarah’s early childhood featured a great deal of this. It eventually culminated in her running away, only to find the rest of the world wouldn’t shift just because she asked it to.
The Atoner: Joining up with the VWA seemed to Sarah to be an appropriate way to make amends for her years as a pirate and mercenary.
The Engineer: A mechanical prodigy, Sarah’s understanding of machines is close to second nature. She also claims to be able to hear them talking back to her; though whether that’s just Sarah being, well, Sarah, is up for debate.
The Runaway: Sarah’s story started out like this, with her fleeing from a stifling future as an overpaid but droll engineer on Manhattan to see the universe.
Thou Shalt Not Kill: Practically a dogma for Sarah, though she’s perfectly happy to work the engines of a warship.
Will Not Tell A Lie: Honest to a fault, and shamelessly proud of it, Sarah’s truthfulness has gotten her into just as many bad situations as it has extracted her from.
You Can’t Go Home Again: From an all-but-unknown apprentice mechanic to Underboss of the Liberty Rogues, to explorer and then, finally anti-government revolutionary, Sarah knows that any trip to Manhattan’s stringently policed surface would end with her in chains. It caused her no small amount of angst, though she has more-or-less come to terms with it now.
Hartman in Tropes

It was combat. Dead men were the point of the exercise.

Following on, it's time Hartman got her own tropes entry. The list is far from exhaustive, and I'll keep adding to it as lunch breaks allow.

Band of Brothers: The real reason Hartman came back to military life. Specifically, she has this attitude towards Lewis and Sius - despite the fact that they are no longer attached to the same unit. That's not to say that she's not fiercely defensive of the rest of the navy as well.
Beserk Button: It's 'Captain Hartman' or 'Ma'am.' Not 'Miss' and most certainly not 'Jane.'
Boarding Party: Hartman used to serve as a rifleman in one.
The Captain: She is Captain Hartman, after all.
Due to the Dead: Where she can. Hartman went to tremendous trouble - risking both Lewis' life and her own - trying to ensure the bodies aboard Alabama made it home for no other reason than she thought they deserved to rest in friendly soil.
I Gave My Word: Whatever her other faults when Hartman makes a promise, she keeps it - occasionally to her own detriment, such as butting heads with the LPI over a favour owed to an Order operative.
Knight in Sour Armour: Hartman doesn't honestly believe that Liberty's that much better than any of the alternatives but she cares enough about the Navy and the people in it to keep fighting for it anyway.
She Who Fights Monsters: Depending on how much you agree with Hartman's views on what defines a monster. She originally returned to the Navy as an officer hoping to bridge the gap between the enlisted troops on the ground and the admirals in their offices, hating the fact that the ones ultimately giving her orders were often in another star system - so far from the sacrifices she and her regiment were expected to make. Now a full captain, guess who commands the 21st from her desk on Manhattan?
The Stoic: Reprimands, certainly. Orders, absolutely. Yelling and screaming? When the situation calls for it. But when it comes to actual, real emotion, Hartman falls surprisingly flat. She's been playing at the impartial, stony officer for so long that it's started to take.
Undying Loyalty: Hartman is fiercely loyal to the Liberty Navy, and the sailors and officers comprising it. The Republic itself? Less so.
War is Glorious: Zig-zagged. Hartman enlisted thinking along these lines. Then she lost her friends at Black Rock and aboard an unnamed pirate destroyer and took a shrapnel wound to the face, dropping her heavily in to War is Hell territory for a while. Now, she's signed up a second time and grown to accept and even embrace conflict once again. If only because she believes she has no purpose in a world without it.
With Us or Against Us: Hartman's world is divided in to two very simple teams. Those who support the Liberty Navy and those who do not.