Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer has stopped working. (update 4)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

I have reinstalled Freelancer about 3 times from a clean CD, and installed the provided software for Freelancer Conquest. After a clean install, a window pops up and says I need to install update 4. After installing it, this window always pops up, and it always happens whether I use Disco Launchpad or the Shortcut in the Discovery Conquest folder.

[Image: OaMBzlc.png]

- Running Windows 7
- Not running any anti-virus software
- Windows defender is NOT blocking anything

Really would appreciate some help as my chars probably will be deleted very soon due to inactivity.
Try getting a virus scanner and scanning your computer. You probably have something on there stopping it from running though. Just to point out, there are a few virus scanners that don't work. I use Microsofts virus scanner (cant remember the full name) and I've got no problems. Try tjat first and if that doesn't work, I'm sure someone else can help you

Edit: Found a link for it here
(11-28-2013, 09:03 AM)Snoopyman Wrote: [ -> ]Try getting a virus scanner and scanning your computer. You probably have something on there stopping it from running though. Just to point out, there are a few virus scanners that don't work. I use Microsofts virus scanner (cant remember the full name) and I've got no problems. Try tjat first and if that doesn't work, I'm sure someone else can help you

Edit: Found a link for it here

Thanks for the help,
I scanned the entire system and found nothing. I only use this computer for Freelancer, so It is unlikely I have a virus doing this.

Anyone else have any ideas? I have also tried applying the normal update 4 manually with no such change.
- Normal Vanilla FL will run just fine.
- Is their a place I should put my original FL install (In Program Files/Microsoft Games) and where should I install conquest to? (Currently on Desktop)
ok this is going to be a hard one to try to fix so i guess, going by when you joined in 2009 youve played before and so on

try this

you can download and install a trial full version of revo uninstaller, very good prog that does a much better job than windows uninstaller

but 1st backup and save all your accounts somewhere

ok when that is done, delete every folder that is to do with FL that you can find, including ALL the 4.87 folder that is in

C:\Users\*your login*\AppData\Local

then run revo, uninstall fl, what revo does is run a trace after an install and looks everywhere including the registry

let it scan and find and delete everything

after thats done, reboot

then install FL, let it install to its default directory

then re download the 4.87 conquest and install that

run 4.87 and if it asks to update let it update

hopefully thats it, if that all dont work, then im stumped
(11-28-2013, 09:58 AM)Revan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the help,
I scanned the entire system and found nothing. I only use this computer for Freelancer, so It is unlikely I have a virus doing this.

Anyone else have any ideas? I have also tried applying the normal update 4 manually with no such change.
- Normal Vanilla FL will run just fine.
- Is their a place I should put my original FL install (In Program Files/Microsoft Games) and where should I install conquest to? (Currently on Desktop)

I've got one other thing to try, that might work.

Uninstall Disco, then uninstall Freelancer. Then go to:

Quote:My Documents -> My Games

There you should find a folder named Freelancer. Delete the whole folder. Once that is done, Re-install Freelancer using the fresh install and then install discovery and let it do the auto updates. Then try and see if the game works once again. If this doesn't work, then i can't help you from here. I suggest you try this before following what evanz said, just in case you download something that isn't what you expected

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR ACCOUNTS

Quote: Is their a place I should put my original FL install

No, install it where you want. Somewhere that you can find just incase you need to get back to it

Quote:and where should I install conquest to?

Anywhere again. The download will ask you to find where your freelancer folder is located so it can copy the files from there. Just don't install it in the Freelancer folder. Make a separate folder for it.

Edit: Make sure you download Disco from here
Well, I tried all the suggestions above, and it still instantly crashes. I guess I am stuck. Thanks for the help anyhow.
Ah, sorry about that then mate. Try and pm a dev or an admin to try and help you
I seem to be having a similar issue, everything was fine last night after a clean install of 7 Ultimate and freelancer then discovery. Played for several hours without an issue. NOTHING else installed on the machine except updates for windows. Installed MS Office this morning and now Freelancer will not run? damned odd as the only reason I re-installed windows was because for some reason FL just stopped running on the old install even after numerous attempts to re-install!! I have to say I have never had an issue with Freelancer running so as of now I am stumped?