Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: BIS Judge Core
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Given it has been a while since you've had a feedback thread (whether actually called that or in the form of the two officialdom applications), thought it'd be better to add one. Since you've not posted any faction threads and technically it has not been reflected in-game, I'll classify this as a story.
Just a note, speaking as a Bretonian (also being the closest thing to a 'leader' for the house) and a player who has a habit of giving feedback of this sort, often to this group specifically; no Admin green.

I've helped out the Judges when they appear to be making moves to improve themselves, but it appears you still haven't gotten the hang of forming a background without powergaming your own version of events 'into the lore'. Whether you are the vanguards of gate technology, the initial protectors of the fleeing Blood Dragon dynasty or now the replacements for the intelligence service of a house that by your own admission does not trust you, nor lost its previous one.

Bretonia knew that Leeds was in danger and had been evacuating it since before the end of the Kusari part of the Tau War, hence why more than 2 billion people have been able to be safely removed from the planet surface.
The space battle resulting from the massive push of the GRN resulting in the Fall was a cut-and-burn operation for the most part: covering what transports were loaded with refugees and leaving little in the way of working lanes and stations for the Gauls to use.
The entire communication network was actually not on Leeds given that is rather a ludicrous choice given the above information. GCHQ is... headquartered on New London like most of everything important in Bretonia, not to mention all the mobile assets within and outside Bretonia. In a world where communications can be sent across the sector almost instantly, the attempted occupation - mind, the GRN do not control the planet yet - of a secondary world (for the BIS) does not pose a great threat to those further afield. Very few agents were killed in the Fall (given they are not front-line soldiers) and I doubt any leaders would be in a position to have done so.
The Government is not in a state of panic nor is the house particularly in chaos. Obviously there are repercussions of such a massive event and it has knocked back Bretonia as a whole, but there have been plans in motion and although they may have some hard choices before the end, I doubt they'll fail. A more militant Prime Minister taking the place of his over-taxed and more corporate-leaning predecessor might have to take a bit more power for the good of his people or something like that...

You had some reasonable points both inRP and ooRP about the Judges and what they could do. You guys are bored of sitting around doing nothing, but an official faction does not just get transferred over to those who haven't shown that they have what it takes to run one, nor would they suddenly represent the whole house in foreign operations without asking the house first. If you do not want a "direct connection to Bretonia", don't slap on a fully associated ID like the BIS one. Contact us about getting a monthly bounty to hit Gallic shipping if that is your main intention, actually try and make more than a claim or two on our existing home board in the months you've been signed up on it, or ask for Letters of the Marque and work independently with the Privateer ID - all good options that make sense inRP and inspire cooperation.

While there isn't anything to be done about a rather infamous group of "mercenary" characters suddenly becoming BIS agents (other than perhaps claiming it is all a delusion if there are diplomatic problems because of it), there could have been a lot more done on your part than waiting until things seem to have died so you have a spot to force yourself into.
Some of the players would be a credit to any faction they join and I thought so of the main two active Salads before the reputation brought about by the rest of the group not doing a lot messed that up for them before I could prevent it. The Judges as characters are something different, and that stigma will follow you and cause problems like it did with the BIS|.

The house you have represented as headless chickens inRP is not like that ooRPly, perhaps think about that when considering where you go from here. That can probably be extended to the community as a whole.
Posting here to confirm that the BAF stands behind this statement.
We have nothing to add to this but to say that some concideration and thought should be put into the next few decisions on your side...

~BAF Admiralty Board
I have read through what you have written. Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't, and some I think is a perception of the facts difference based on two different views points on how bad the war is going for Bretonia. I have tried the best I can to answer each piece of your statement.
Quote:" I've helped out the Judges when they appear to be making moves to improve themselves, but it appears you still haven't gotten the hang of forming a background without powergaming your own version of events 'into the lore'. Whether you are the vanguards of gate technology, the initial protectors of the fleeing Blood Dragon dynasty or now the replacements for the intelligence service of a house that by your own admission does not trust you, nor lost its previous one."

The Original Lore you refer to, was rejected by the server, and as such was never seen as official lore to anyone and was refused being recognized. As such, neither the server nor us have continued to recognize or act upon it (I even added a piece to it to that effect).

Also, I never said we were replacing the BIS in the lore information I wrote, I have written it as a new sub-sect force (Much like the 4 or 5 LNS groups out there). Recruited out of desperation for the war effort. If that is not clear enough, I can make the edits necessary to clear it. It was agreed that since Leeds has fallen, the listening post in the current lore (which I know is also unofficial but I assume it is the recognized one as their isn't any other). That this would sever off contact with what was in Gallia. Assuming they are either dead or in hiding, this becomes an act of hiring the best that you have left.

Quote:" Bretonia knew that Leeds was in danger and had been evacuating it since before the end of the Kusari part of the Tau War, hence why more than 2 billion people have been able to be safely removed from the planet surface.
The space battle resulting from the massive push of the GRN resulting in the Fall was a cut-and-burn operation for the most part: covering what transports were loaded with refugees and leaving little in the way of working lanes and stations for the Gauls to use.
The entire communication network was actually not on Leeds given that is rather a ludicrous choice given the above information. GCHQ is... headquartered on New London like most of everything important in Bretonia, not to mention all the mobile assets within and outside Bretonia. In a world where communications can be sent across the sector almost instantly, the attempted occupation - mind, the GRN do not control the planet yet - of a secondary world (for the BIS) does not pose a great threat to those further afield. Very few agents were killed in the Fall (given they are not front-line soldiers) and I doubt any leaders would be in a position to have done so."
I think I may have already effectively responded to this in the previous spot but quoting the standing recognized lore.

Quote:" Currently we have four sites within Bretonian space including our main GCHQ building on New London. We also have listening stations situated in Cambridge and Leeds, the locations of these are classified. Our last 'site' is our mobile Headquarters, the HMS Craven's Nest. As it has been assigned to the 2nd Great Fleet, the GCHQ building on New London has taken over many of its roles. However it still holds the primary databanks for the Intelligence Service."

While your right that the headquarters is in New London, your listening posts were written as Leeds and Cambridge. Without Leeds, you haven't gotten a post pointed at Gallia anymore. I would never have said you lost all your communication because that would be ludicrous. However, if you can't contact your people who were out there and their route home was now cut off, it would be safe to assume that the majority of agents who would have been out their trying to win the war via various insidious ways, would now be stuck or dead.

If I were to go with your example of instantaneous communication across sectors, you would still need something to relay those signals. If all those sectors between fallen Bretonian space and Gallia space needed to be contacted through, and GRN is now all over Leeds, your ability to send those signals, uninterrupted, undetected and not end up being jammed or decoded by the GRN are going to be reduced at best. Further, any signal sent into Gallia coming out of New London I would say risks them tracking the signal origin point and bringing them straight to the JH which to my knowledge, in RP, they do not know exists.

Now I don't have a problem altering the numbers I used, but I'd stand by that BIS would have effectively lost it's intelligence power in Gallia, outside of perhaps whatever the Council could smuggle in and out for them.

Quote:" The Government is not in a state of panic nor is the house particularly in chaos. Obviously there are repercussions of such a massive event and it has knocked back Bretonia as a whole, but there have been plans in motion and although they may have some hard choices before the end, I doubt they'll fail. A more militant Prime Minister taking the place of his over-taxed and more corporate-leaning predecessor might have to take a bit more power for the good of his people or something like that..."

If this is the route the lore takes, which I think may be an interesting approach, at the moment isn't the case. Your current standing lore is the Leeds system is fallen and the planet is now in a ground war with Magellan now being the new primary battleground. You had to sacrifice the gate just to keep them from striking New London directly.

While you may not call it a state of chaos, I see Bretonia having already lost huge chunks of territory to the GRN. You have GMS vessels now mining ore out of Dublin. Your enemy is at the gate and worse still, they are striking into Magellan and Cortez (I am not sure if Cortez is supposed to be part of this as RP but I have fought them their too). Loose those systems, and the life line to Liberty gets cut off. Not to mention the problems you are having trying to deal with Cosairs in Cambridge hitting your ships trying to move refugees to Omega-3. If you don't wish to call it chaos, I would at least call it Bretonia's darkest hour since the days of it's civil war. Now granted, this is all perception, I think 10 people would have 10 opinions on this. I think at the least we can all agree that Bretonia is at best, bleeding both in resources, manpower and territory with no end in current sight.

Quote:"You had some reasonable points both inRP and ooRP about the Judges and what they could do. You guys are bored of sitting around doing nothing, but an official faction does not just get transferred over to those who haven't shown that they have what it takes to run one, nor would they suddenly represent the whole house in foreign operations without asking the house first. If you do not want a "direct connection to Bretonia", don't slap on a fully associated ID like the BIS one. Contact us about getting a monthly bounty to hit Gallic shipping if that is your main intention, actually try and make more than a claim or two on our existing home board in the months you've been signed up on it, or ask for Letters of the Marque and work independently with the Privateer ID - all good options that make sense inRP and inspire cooperation."

Lets keep in mind, first, there isn't a BIS official faction. If there was then you would be absolutely right. What you have right now is BIS| which as far as I am aware is at the moment two guys and an open ID which lacks an IFF.

In addition, you also now have a new BIS faction which is aiming to become the official one which has expanded considerably on the original lore. (Which we consulted on the final products of both what would be his and what would be ours when the decision was made to keep them separate from each other and agreed they were far apart enough for us to both work with).

Also, again we are not representing your entire house. As far as I am concerned, BIS| and your new BIS are. As with any groups all representing the same faction, I hope that we will all be able to work together.

Quote:"While there isn't anything to be done about a rather infamous group of "mercenary" characters suddenly becoming BIS agents (other than perhaps claiming it is all a delusion if there are diplomatic problems because of it), there could have been a lot more done on your part than waiting until things seem to have died so you have a spot to force yourself into.

Far as the RP itself goes, While it is now all up on the wiki, I had not put it on the forums yet as we are still getting certain details ironed out (As it stands, the wiki is about 80% done). Including a story which was to be added to how this happened. It neither powergames, nor conflicts with the current lore. I even went out of my way to make sure that it is stated within what we have written our recognition of that current lore (including the new added lore the new BIS is implementing as soon as they have it up). Also we did not wait for anything to die, it simply has and it has dragged us along with it. This is us trying to get ourselves back up before it all goes down.

Quote: "Some of the players would be a credit to any faction they join and I thought so of the main two active Salads before the reputation brought about by the rest of the group not doing a lot messed that up for them before I could prevent it. The Judges as characters are something different, and that stigma will follow you and cause problems like it did with the BIS|."

Since I don't represent the Salads and since this isn't the place for that discussion, the only comment I feel I can make there is that I am in that skype chat and you and I both know one had nothing to do with the other in there.

As for the Stigma you mentioned, yes it is there, yes we know about it, and part of our hope is with a new RP and an ID that has a clear cut description of what it can and cannot do will allow us to RP without having some of the problems of before.

As for the rest, it will likely take me another week or so to get the rest of the information I need from the others to finish the wiki and to get what is needed so we can create the required RP event log and story. I will be representing the group via the forum and am on daily. You'll start seeing reports in the forum section for us as soon as we are ready to put them to it.

Mean time, before you and the others start giving us further feedback, I ask you to please give us some time to finish getting all our ducks in a row. Right now all we have is the initial ground work in place and the beginning of the forum RP. We haven't even got most of the ships outfitted yet, let alone the main server presence. Please have a little patience. Once we are forum ready, I'd ask you to please move this over to that sub-forum if possible just to save me the trouble of making another thread.

As per further discussions on the lore, Summer I know you have my skype account, I am more then happy to chat to you or anyone else who wishes to talk with me (My skype is JudgeYohance). If there are honestly things that need to be changed in order to avoid conflicting with the standing Lore, I urge you to set up a time with me in which we can talk so I can make appropriate edits, or even if you just want to chat. (If at all possible, I prefer talking via microphones over text. It's less painful for me.)

Thank you for the feedback thus far.