Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Phoenix R&D cc: Finn McCool Ames Research Station
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: gULmo.png]

***Encryption: Phoenix (Secure) Theta Theta 1-6 (Internal)-(Maximum)***
***Transmitting signal***
***Connecting...connecting...connections established...***
***Source: Necroth Shade-Chief Security Officer of the Phoenix***

Greetings Finn,

I'm contacting you, and
Phoenix R&D due to a mounting problem I'm facing with my heavy patrol vessel (\^/)Psychomanteum. The vessel was constructed at Livadia Shipyard under my personal supervision and attention some time ago. At first, everything seemed to be fine and well. I had even successful engineered and installed a cloaking system on the (\^/)Psychomanteum and its performance had exceeded all of my original expectations. It was designed using the original Hathor and Conference schematics I had obtained during the great Omicroner exodus. My engineering skills were put to the test during the construction of the ship. While originally researching the schematics, I noted several places where the Hathor prototype suffered power distribution malfunctions primarily routed around its sensor and shield systems. I modified these systems using more advanced building techniques then the original engineers had at their disposal. I thought this would have medicated those original malfunctions, but it seems I was wrong...

Earlier this week I set out in the
(\^/)Psychomanteum on a patrol mission. Shortly after launch a massive power drain occurred. Primary power went entirely off line and our back up systems were unable to support the operation of the vessel. We were forced to return her to Livadia. After docking I attempted to identify the cause of the malfunction.

After two hours of searching I found some disturbing things in the power distribution systems. Seems as if the advanced sensor system has been fused into position, and I'm unable to remove it. The surrounding power grid has been heavily damaged as well. Currently the shield systems have yet to be affected but the overall drain on the power system is escalating and soon I fear that the power core may go critical.

Seems as if my engineering skills will not be enough to fix these issues. Finn I'm requesting your aid in modifying the power systems of the
(\^/)Psychomanteum entirely. The power core is still intact for now but the primary power systems seem to be unable to undergo the overwhelming stresses put on the system itself. I fear we may need to completely remove the current power array and replace it with something different and this is where you come in my friend.

I do have an idea if we do have to remove the current power systems though. The advanced sensor systems on the (\^/)Psychomanteum is based on a modified version of a modified battleship style scanner. Though slightly smaller then the original, the power that this type of system can undergo is rather staggering. I ask is it possible that we route the primary power from the core directly through this scanning system itself, if we modify the primary power input and output and reenforce to power conduits? I think its then possible that we could re-route the power to all of the other systems of the vessel. I will send you a copy of my original construction notes and also provide a copy of the original schematics as well for you to take a look.

Thank you for looking into this for me, please contact me as soon as possible...
Safe skies...
Shade out...

Transmitting data files: 1%...5%...35%...72%...100% upload complete.

***Transmission Terminated***

[Image: Jh16c.png]
[Image: CztarSL.png]
'Ello my friend!

Been some time since I have heard from you lad. A pleasure as always. An' trust me, I have not forgotten about your offer t' retrofit Ames. Waiting on members of ta DSE t' provide me with ta original schematics of ta Station, that way we know with what we are working with more fully.

Regardless, an interesting dilemma you find yourself in. My first instinct would be t' ask where your patrol took you that caused such a power failure. If it was say, a normal run around Livadia, then we could eliminate something foreign being ta cause. What I would recommend, is bringing it t' Corinth. I'll be heading that way soon, an' can take a look an' see what we can do t' get ta (\^/)Psychomanteum fully operational.

As far as your idea with bypassing normal power circuits, an' running it through this modified scanner, I must say that could very well work. I would have t' see this modified scanner of course, and cross-reference it with some schematics an' ensure that no side-effects of such a re-route would be outside ta bounds of acceptable power outputs. Anything modified brings with it a certain level of uncertainty, but at least it's a learning process!

Please let me know when you arrive, an' I should hopefully be not far behind.

Finn out

[Image: bNci5oU.png]
[Image: gULmo.png]
***Encryption: Phoenix (Secure) Theta Theta 1-6 (Internal)-(Maximum)***
***Transmitting signal***
***Connecting...connecting...connections established...***
***Source: Necroth Shade-Chief Security Officer of the Phoenix***

Greetings Brother,

The (\^/)Psychomanteum had barely cleared the 2km mark off of Livadia when the power system originally malfunctioned. So from what my work crews and I can tell, the malfunction was not caused by some outside source or factor. This does not preclude that as a possibility though.

Late last night we launched (\^/)Psychomanteum with several additional support vessels. Again we encountered massive power fluctuations shortly after launch. A repair vessel acted as a tug, and helped to drag (\^/)Psychomanteum to Corinth as we did in fact lose all shield systems.

Looks as if the primary power grid is all but fried Finn...going to have to basically start all over. The advanced scanning system still seems to be unaffected by the power surges from my initial inspections. The primary shield matrix also seems to be intact, but the power relays have all been cooked. We were barely able to get her secured in the docking bay.

At this point Finn, short of trying to entirely rebuild (\^/)Psychomanteum .This power systems retrofit seems to be my only viable chance to get (\^/)Psychomanteum anywhere near mission ready status.

You can find me in either in the docking bay or the bar once you get to Corinth. Till then brother, and thank you again.

Shade out...

***Transmission Terminated***

[Image: Jh16c.png]
[Image: fVwNIAR.png]
Evenin' Shade-

Well, luckily I made it t' Corinth just in time it seems! Hopefully we will have a solution soon.

I took ta liberty of going over some schematics for your ship that were saved within our databanks on Livadia. Now, as I was looking at this, I noticed what could be ta issue. I've uploaded ta schematics, along with my readings here:

[Image: shadegif_by_ddogknight-d74wvxt.gif]

Now, as you can see in ta top right corner, I ran a simulated test throughout all ta systems, an' found that ta ship would get a loss of power whenever ta cloaking system was deactivated, an' not ta scanner. What it seems like is that after ta cloaking field is deactivated, it had so much power being drawn from ta core, that any remaining system post-cloaking device in ta circuits would get an increase in current and fry from a power surge. Luckily, ta shield array and scanning systems are not routed through ta cloaking device, but since those circuits are fried, more power is being sent t' ta unaffected areas, thus causing fluctuations. It's no surprise that you had power relay failure.

Now, I also analysed ta modified scanner, as ya can see in ta center above your ship itself. I ran another simulated test, an' it tested positive with minor fluctuations if we instead routed ta other systems through it. As long as we have no other system connected t' ta cloaking device, we should be good. Of course, I'll have t' run some further tests on ta (\^/)Psychomanteum itself, but what you suggested does look promising.

Unfortunately, we will still need t' replace much of ta circuits and power relays that could show damage. As such, I will need you t' gather ta following in preparation:

• 10 crates of Energy Field Equipment
  • 50 units of Nanocapacitors
  • 50 units of Nanotubes
  • 1 unit of Quantum Multiplexors

That is hopefully all I will need, but if anything else comes up from my tests, I will let you. I don't foresee anything beyond that list, but... time will tell I suppose. I'll begin running tests shortly here on Corinth.

Chin up lad, all will be well if not better soon!

Finn out

[Image: bNci5oU.png]