Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Basic 'Dynamic' Economy Plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just had a random idea. What if there was an automated plugin that randomly buffed the prices of a certain few commodities every week? Would deal with the hassle of people having to do it manually and it'd promote activity elsewhere and make trading more interesting.
Though, I don't know how doable this is, but it's a thought.
Thoughts?
The only way I'd support this is if it can be done in such a way that doesn't produce more lag. That said, it seems like it shouldn't take a lot of active calculation, meaning it shouldn't contribute to lag in any noticeable degree, so I'll tentatively throw in my support until there's some confirmation one way or the other about the lag problem.
(02-03-2014, 09:51 PM)Thexare Wrote: [ -> ]The only way I'd support this is if it can be done in such a way that doesn't produce more lag. That said, it seems like it shouldn't take a lot of active calculation, meaning it shouldn't contribute to lag in any noticeable degree, so I'll tentatively throw in my support until there's some confirmation one way or the other about the lag problem.

Well seeing as how it is just shuffling the prices every week, I don't see how it would cause lag in between shuffles.
I'd imagine that something like this would have to 'remember' how much of this commodity, was sold at this specific base.
As in.. Every time someone sold something, the server would have to dedicate more ticks to recording said number in a database.

I mean, this would be 'excellent' to see, and perhaps not the most difficult to implement (at least the math portion, the recording, I am not too sure about.)

But it's all about 'balance' these days according to people, but nevertheless? I think it's a pretty cool idea.
(02-03-2014, 09:57 PM)Tankman Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2014, 09:51 PM)Thexare Wrote: [ -> ]The only way I'd support this is if it can be done in such a way that doesn't produce more lag. That said, it seems like it shouldn't take a lot of active calculation, meaning it shouldn't contribute to lag in any noticeable degree, so I'll tentatively throw in my support until there's some confirmation one way or the other about the lag problem.

Well seeing as how it is just shuffling the prices every week, I don't see how it would cause lag in between shuffles.
That depends on if it's being calculated based on traffic (as a proper dynamic economy should), being adjusted entirely at random (which I'd rather avoid), ot being adjusted at random while following given templates, taking the forum of random events affecting a given station or planet like damage, supply shortages, outbreaks of Cetacean Flu, etc (which would be fine). The latter two could be done at server startup, I'd think, but the first would take calculations throughout the day.

Some sort of notification would also be necessary so people know what's been updated. Perhaps amending the login message with a "Current Events" or "Current Shortages" list (Mad Duck Disease outbreak on Planet Denver, Shinagawa Station damaged in Blood Dragon raid, etc), but that shouldn't be a drain as long as the messages can be generated on startup rather than needing to regenerate throughout the day.

At least, that's what I'm thinking.
It sounds like something which would take up a lot of resources unless it was completely random.
can we please focus on the removal of plugins and being able to actually witness their absent effect on the server before introducing others.
Reminds me of my days, when I believed in good ideas like you Lythrilux.

Apart from that, I'm afraid that this'd be too much effort. Xoria would have to run the 'economy-balance-program' weekly.

I prefered jammi's way of picking one commodity/ore now and then. Or maybe have more event-based price changes. Like that time when IC Bonn in New Berlin got occupied by RM, by having the profit for Marines from Battleship Moselle to Battleship Strausberg heavily increased for a limited time. Fun times.
Probably too much work for devs and too much load for server.

If it could be implemented without problems and much work, it would have to have some reason inRP for changes and should be announced on news (ingame or forum), so players know what is going on.
The problem I've been finding lately is that the community has been coming up with a lot of great ideas that are hell to implement.

I would love to have a semi-automated economy tweaker that responds to what players do and I think it could be done with a relative lack of lag -- except for a minor spike when the tweaker sends out updated economy information to everyone logged in, but that'd be like, once an hour at the most, and practically not noticeable since DSAce handles that directly -- but the automation thing would just be... difficult, to say the least.
Pages: 1 2