Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Piracy Guide for Newbies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Simple; don't do it. it'll make you sick of this game so fast it's not even funny.
*takes notes, goes to pirate*
' Wrote:Simple; don't do it. it'll make you sick of this game so fast it's not even funny.

The satisfaction of seeing a trader blow up is fantastic though.

Overkill in numbers works well too.
One tip I'd give pirates is to never, ever, demand more than the trader's cargo is worth.

OK so you might not know that, but if you're pirating you'll probably pick a location where almost everyone going past will be carrying the same cargo (Beryllium/Boron in Magellan, Diamonds/Niobium in S13 etc.). Learn the values of the two cargo types on your chosen run.

If you demand more than the cargo's worth, the trader doesn't gain anything by paying you. If you demand slightly less than the cargo's worth, they'll pay if they're in a good mood or are good RPers. If you demand half of what the cargo's worth, they'll almost certainly pay.

Still, whatever you do, never demand more - all the trader loses by being killed is their cargo and nanobots. While you're within the rules to demand more than the cargo's worth, the trader is equally within the rules to refuse and let you kill them.
' Wrote:The satisfaction of seeing a trader blow up is fantastic though.

Overkill in numbers works well too.
I love blowing traders, they think they're so invincible in their advanced trains. A few Supernovas dents their pride quite quickly:cool:
Quote: I love blowing traders...

:shok:

Surely a word is missing.
i sure hope so...
Be ethical; decide the kinds of tax you plan to take, and make sure that tax level won't cripple a trader or make his run pointless.
Choose a cargo-hold limit, eg. 3000 cargo. If a trader has more cargo than that, charge them lots. If they have less cargo, charge them half as much.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot. If you're a Corsair and you see a convoy of potentially useful supplies headed in the direction of Omicron Gamma, ask where they headed. You might find they're going to Crete, in which case, don't tax them. Hell, maybe help them out if you can.
If a commodity can be sold for good money, it's in high demand, so if someone's taking supplies to one of your faction's bases, it's normally a good thing in RP. The exceptions to this are Passengers, VIPs, Cardimine, Artifacts, Synth Ganja, Slaves, etc. which are occasionally NOT wanted.
' Wrote::shok:

Surely a word is missing.
Oh dear... my secret has been found out :lol:

This is what happens when hunger strikes!!:crazy: 2 chicken burgers cured it ;)
' Wrote:One tip I'd give pirates is to never, ever, demand more than the trader's cargo is worth.

OK so you might not know that, but if you're pirating you'll probably pick a location where almost everyone going past will be carrying the same cargo (Beryllium/Boron in Magellan, Diamonds/Niobium in S13 etc.). Learn the values of the two cargo types on your chosen run.

If you demand more than the cargo's worth, the trader doesn't gain anything by paying you. If you demand slightly less than the cargo's worth, they'll pay if they're in a good mood or are good RPers. If you demand half of what the cargo's worth, they'll almost certainly pay.

Still, whatever you do, never demand more - all the trader loses by being killed is their cargo and nanobots. While you're within the rules to demand more than the cargo's worth, the trader is equally within the rules to refuse and let you kill them.
Agreed, as I do this and negotiate with the trader I am pirating when it does happen.

namely as my trader, who has a transport (just the regular one) got held up for 1 million one to many fracking times... and in most cases that's the full worth of one run, and that's not counting damages incurred by The Wild, Golden Charysthiums etc. a couple times I lost entire profits and more due to being pirated and on the return trip I got wasted by NPCs.

Ill admit I ended pulling a brash move as I f1 /ragequit when just after escaping a near deadly attack by The Wild (Thier ships are just... ugh) then I got held up for one million, the entire profit of my run...

no, just no. I swear I nearly punched a hole in my monitor as the negotiations went sour, as last time I got held up, not long after I was killed by an NPC raid. so as I said I /ragequit

but it gets interesting, as when I had one trader, who had a large transport with twice the cargo capacity of what I have, she was held up for 500k, I paid without a hitch, no questions asked. Go... Figure

edit: with that I'm off to bed, all negativity aside, and apologize for acting as I did before on server.

Another edit:
Goto last unread Admin Notice : Banned for insulting
Anthony_Gray

Make that about 14 days
Pages: 1 2 3