Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Hi, I'm new around here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So far I love Discover Freelancer.
But I had a few questions I haven't been able to answer using the wiki and such.

What determines how much mineable material you get from shooting each asteroid / debris chunk? In the Hallam Nebula in Pennsylvania system, each asteroid adds about 8-12 Helium to your cargo hold, but when I try mining in other areas (just west of Southampton Shipyard for example), the returns are abysmal, like not even a 1:1 ratio Sad

What's this all about? Do some areas just suck to mine in?
I've heard of a bonus to mining depending on weapons or reputation? Can someone fill me in on this?

Right now, since I'm brand new, I'm trying to focus on earning a living and saving up funds for other chars.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Yes I have checked out some of Sindroms videos.
Not all fields are mineable. Also mining faction IDs have different bonuses for different mining commodity. If you have any questions feel free to ask any player tagged with [Angels].

Also welcome, I wish you best of luck and fun here
I have to agree with Rasco. I have a hard time finding any information on wiki or the forums with a clear description of where you can mine and what faction (if any) you have to be to access it.

In previous versions of Disco, you could mine any area shown on your map, regardless of what faction you belonged to.

Could someone please provide a link to any forum thread(s) regarding this information?
(07-20-2014, 01:13 AM)Foochow Wrote: [ -> ]Not all fields are mineable. Also mining faction IDs have different bonuses for different mining commodity. If you have any questions feel free to ask any player tagged with [Angels].

Also welcome, I wish you best of luck and fun here

Yeah I'm referring only to mineable zones.

For example, per Sindoms video, I restarted as a Miner for IMG.
And I've been ok, but is there any way to speed up the Niobium mining northwest of Java Station?
I'm only getting 1 ore per asteroid, and a 1:1 ratio is going to take a looooong, tedious time to fill up a decent sized cargo hold...

I thought this was a good place to mine. Why do I get so much Helium from Hallan Nebula, regardless of faction, yet so little from most of the other mineable zones?
Hey there, Rasco.

Some areas do "suck" to mine in, with lower drop rates and even radiation infecting the field. However, it may be your ID too. If you're using the Miner ID and you're mining scrap west of Southampton, it'll be a lot slower because the Miner ID only receives a x2 bonus, as apposed to the Junker ID that receives a x4 bonus.

The Mining Bonus is outlined here, but I'll briefly explain it for you. In order to receive a mining bonus and efficiently mine ores, gases and other commodities, you have to have 3 correct components in order to activate it, missing any of these 3 components will not activate the mining bonus. Said components are:
  • Correct ID and IFF. Mining IDs are outlined in the Guide I linked, so check it out. The IFF should match the ID you're using too, so if you have a Junker ID'd ship with a Freelancer IFF, you won't receive the bonus.
  • Correct ship. Most factions will have the Surveyor, Scrapper and Hegemon as their primary mining ships, but exceptions (such as ALG, Kruger and GMG) may occur. These exceptions are defined in the guide.
  • Correct Weaponry. In order to mine anything, you have to use Mining Arrays, which come in 2 variants. Light and Heavy. Light Mining arrays are used on snubs and freighters, while Heavy Mining Arrays are used on anything larger than a freighter.

The Mining Bonus (and Mining in general) can seem huge and complex, but when you get down to it, there's really nothing too difficult about it. If you have any more questions, ask [Angels] tagged ships ingame, post in this thread, or post a thread here asking for help.

Welcome and have fun!
Welcome to Disco.

Now regarding mining IDs, ships and areas

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=71050

Best of luck. You may also consider in joining an oficial mining coorporation wich may guide you within the RP and help you.
Awesome, thanks for the snappy feedback.
What is involved with joining an official mining corporation, other than restarting as IMG?

Here's my current setup:

Ship = Sunburst Civilian Freighter (best cargo space for the money, I'm new and poor)
ID = IMG ID
Reputation = IMG maxed out
Weapons =
Vampire Mk IV
Vampire Mk IV
Light Mining Array
Light Mining Array
Light Mining Array
Light Mining Array
Purple Goddess Turret
Purple Goddess Turret

not sure what IFF is.

Should I get rid of the offensive weaponry and get more mining arrays? Or would it not make any difference?
Having just one Mining Array is enough. Check your IFF by looking in your player status tab and checking the bottom of your diplomacy. The flashing faction (which should be full green) is your IFF. If you've restarted IMG, you should have an IMG IFF. As for your inability to mine, it's because you're using the Sunburst. In order to mine effeciently and receive the mining bonus, you'll need to grab a different ship, such as the Annapurna.

Joining an official mining faction is easy. Just goto their recruitment posts on the forums here and apply. It's not necessary to join to fly their ID and IFF, but it does allow you to connect with people and have a cool tag on your ships. Some examples of official mining factions include IMG|, DHC-, Kruger|, DSE), BMM- and GMG|. It should also be noted that factions such as Kishiro|, Samura|-, [ALG]-, JM|- and .:j:. also receive mining bonuses, but is not the faction's main priority.
(07-20-2014, 02:05 AM)Wulverine Wrote: [ -> ]Having just one Mining Array is enough. Check your IFF by looking in your player status tab and checking the bottom of your diplomacy. The flashing faction (which should be full green) is your IFF. If you've restarted IMG, you should have an IMG IFF. As for your inability to mine, it's because you're using the Sunburst. In order to mine effeciently and receive the mining bonus, you'll need to grab a different ship, such as the Annapurna.

Joining an official mining faction is easy. Just goto their recruitment posts on the forums here and apply. It's not necessary to join to fly their ID and IFF, but it does allow you to connect with people and have a cool tag on your ships. Some examples of official mining factions include IMG|, DHC-, Kruger|, DSE), BMM- and GMG|. It should also be noted that factions such as Kishiro| and Samura|- also receive mining bonuses, but is not the faction's main priority.

Very helpful, thank you!

So right now, it's my ship holding me back.
If I get a ship that's classified as a "Miner" it will make the mining go much faster, anywhere I choose to mine, right?

Since I've already made this char a member of IMG, I will check out the IMG subforum and see about registering and getting the IMG| tag.
No problem! It's what we're here for!

Correct, your ship is what's holding you back, but upgrading to a ship that is usable by the IMG will make mining much faster. Remembering that IMG doesn't have a bonus on everything, I believe they miss out on Helium-3 and Scrap mining, but they do have a vast bonus on many ores, at a reduced rate to that of other house mining factions.

Checking them out is a good idea! It'll make sure that there are people to fly with you and be friendly towards. At the moment, the recruitment is closed, but that could change anytime soon, so keep on checking!
Pages: 1 2 3