Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Salvage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Rumor

Rick walked into the bar on Friedstadt. “Get me a bottle of Rheinbeir and a Tube of ‘Synth Bacon Cheeseburger Paste’ ™” The bartender nodded his head in acknowledgement and Rick proceeded to a small corner booth in a secluded corner. He put his head in his hands. What was he going to do. He needed a low-key ship that wouldn’t attract too much attention and yet could go almost anywhere. Any of the Civilian trains would do but no corporation in their right mind would do business such as selling a ship to a Junker, it would be too risky to their Kusari markets if word got out. A waiter came over and placed a tray on the table with a Bottle of Rheinbier a glass of Ice and tube of the synthetic food. He popped the cap on the Rheinbier and poured it in the glass twisted the cap of the tube and began sucking on the paste inside. What could he do? While he was sitting there a man walked up to him.
“I think I may have something you will want to see.”
“Who are you exactly? Also why should I care?”
“My name is Henry Calot, a Freelancer , and I couldn’t help over hearing your plight. I may know about something that may be of use to you.”
Less than impressed but not being in a hurry Rick decided to indulge this Freelancer. “ Go on?”
He sat down and opened his Agiera Neural Net Arm Browser ™ a 3D Hologram of the Omega 7 system appeared cloud and all. He zoomed in on Freidstadt and said “This is us.“
“Ok…” His patience was running thin
“And this,” He dragged the screen over to the lower left corner of Sector E5 “This is the wreck of the Bremerhaven”
Rick looked at the Freelancer “Your point being? Do I look like ALG? Why would I be interested in it?”
“Why? It’s a Heron class Train, sitting in the middle of nowhere. Totally abandoned and forgotten to time. It’s totally up for the taking. See look here” He pulled up a 3D model of the ship revealing that it was mostly intact except for its Engines which were beaten pretty badly by the raiders. “Best part? The ship was hauling engine components. So if you ask IMG nicely I am sure they will let you tow the thing to Aland and moor it there till it is able to move on its own." Rick sat there and pondered this for a moment. The ship was literally sitting there for the grabbing. "Thank you for the information Mr.Calot now if you do not mind I will eat my food and proceed to poke around for more information."
The Repair

Rick stood on the observation deck at Aland Shipyard and gazed in amazement. After months of waiting, and weeks of filling side contracts to get the materials he needed to finish this project as well as a massive amount of help from the Independent Miner’s Guild. There sat the Bremerhaven once a ship destined to drift out into the nothingness of space now, looking as if she just game off the assembly line. She was a picture perfect hodgepodge of parts fit for a Junker made up of parts from all four of the original houses and even, a touch of Gallic finesse in her armor plating. Rick looked more like a father looking at a new born child then a Captain to his ship.
“Finally, a ship that will be truly mine. “
”Excuse me sir?” He turned around one of the IMG technicians was holding a tablet.
“Yeah? What’s up?”
“I think you should see this” He flicked his fingers across the screen showing a 3D model of the Bremerhaven.
“Mr.Tiltman…”
“Please call me Rick”
“Right, well Rick. You see this is a Standard Heron you see here and at the back you can see where if the corporation wanted to it could add more cargo links or remove them as needed, they are modular” Rick looked at him puzzled
“Ok…your point?”
“Well sir, if you look here you will see the Bremerhaven has these additional pieces here, here, and here suggesting that this isn’t a Heron by the USI network but instead is likely…” Rick interrupted him before collapsing into a nearby chair
“A Crane…”
“Rick! Sir! Are you alright?!”
“Yes, yes I am fine, so, do you think the Guild could repair the Link? And add the other pods back onto it?”
“Not likely sir, though we do regular maintenance on our own Trains we do not generally make them our self. We often buy them from ALG” Rick got to his feet and took a deep breath before walking over to the window “Well looks like this thing just got a lot more interesting.”
The Launch

2 years, a medically induced vacation, a prison sentence and a promotion to Deputy Arbiter later She was finally finished. Bremerhaven launched from Aland Shipyards docks and Rick looked across the bridge into space, over the ship's intercom he could hear the communications tower; "Deputy Arbiter Rick, you are cleared for departure; good luck out there".

He had to contain his excitement however, the ship wasn't finished yet. He had to take it to ALG, see if they could repair the missing link to the last set of pods, if not maybe they could tell him where to get them. so he walked over to the chair in the center of the bridge and he said:

"Computer, set course for Dortmund Smelter."
"Yes sir, setting course for Dortmund Smelter, New Berlin System. estimated travel time 3 hours. Recommended way to pass time, sleep or movie"
"Just put on some music and I'll probably be asleep in a bit."
"Yes sir."

Rick leaned back in the small room in the back of the cabin part of the ship, nothing big but comfy as his song started playing he leaned back tapping his foot against the wall to the rhythm. He thought about the way his life was going, seemed like things were turning around finally. He drifted off to sleep as the ship entered the Omega 7 Jumpgate