Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: "Zoe Barnes"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...accessing..audio..log...
...loading..playing...

Hello, my name is... well, "Zoe Barnes" - since a few days. Feels weird - Zoe. *She chuckles sadly*

And if you find these logs it probably means I'm dead; buried in some nameless grave somewhere in Sirius and you will probably be as well a while after reading this. So... *she stops for a moment*
Last chance to close this log and burn it, throw it away, get it as far away from you as possible. Stay away from the truth.

No? Okay, your choice.

I work - used to work for Ageira Technologies, one of the so-called "Big Three" in Liberty. A big corporation, a mega concern, powerful and influencial - especially in Liberty.
Me and my small team worked in a small data centre on Planet Manhattan, our job was to find and filter anti-Ageira oriented "propaganda" material, but in the end we were just some sort of actively searching, human spam-filter. Our day mostly consisted out of deleting messages like "Ageira stinks!" posted by unhappy customers, nothing serious, just minor damage control to protect Ageiras pristine white reputation amongst the citizens of our home. But we didn't only fool the citizens of Liberty, but also ourselves as we had to find out soon.

One day, just as any other one of my co-workers stumbled over a message destinated to be published on the Sirius-wide neuralnet transmitted by an unknown source. And we read this message with our mouths agape, when he decided to share it with us.

A list, a hit list: "Protective Liquidations". A list of mainly journalists and private investigators, who happened to investigate against Ageira Technologies for a while and apparently found informations or at least came too close to finding them, which made it worth killing them!
After having a heavy and lengthy discussion we decided to delete it just like any other of the messages we used to get across our desks in droves. I went home after that day with a queasy feeling in my stomach. I couldn't sleep at all that night.

The next morning I vomited, I felt terribly sick and exhausted and I wanted to call my workplace to be excused from work for the day - the channel was gone, no signal, no automated message, no re-routing to the customer service hotline, nothing, dead.
I tried to call most of my co-workers, not a single response. Something had to be wrong, right? Right?!
In that very moment Ageira employees appeared at my front door, ringing the bell. Probably rightfully so, right(?): I grabbed what I could in a hurry. Physical savings, clothes, my ID and ran through the backdoor and fled precipitately.
A while later I had to find out that my bank account was frozen, I couldn't get access whatsoever. It was probably empty anyways I figured.

I modified my ID makeshift, changed my name. A low rank non-existent Ageira employee. Noone would even look for a file on her - me. And if anyone did, it would probably not even be a surprise to not find any informations about "me" in the Ageira directories.
I took my physical savings and spent them on a poorly equipped Stargazer, a spaceship. Damnit, I've never been in space except for a vacation on a civilian shuttle as a passenger heading to Planet Curacao!
I have to leave the corrupt core of Sirius. I heard the Omicrons are a good place to "disappear", But I need money... a suited ship, credits to pay for a place to stay, possibly to bribe people and other expenses. Once I got a better ship 20-30 million should be enough, I hope.

I started to trade under the disguise of little "Zoe", the not even mentionworthy Ageira employee. So far I traded a few units of liquors from Manhattan to New London and then to New Tokyo. It seems to work out, but I'm feeling like I'm getting paranoid or am I?
Every LPI Officer wishing me safe travels begins to sound like he's being sarcastic towards me, translating into "Yes girl, we'll get you soon enough." and sends shivers down my spine. I feel followed all the time and something as natural as sleeping becomes a hard task. I had to withstand drinking my own cargo to ease my mind for at least a short period of time.

I can pull through. I have to!

...end..of..recording...
...accessing..audio..log...
...loading..playing...

*A long drawn out sigh*

I'm not made to be a spacer...

I can't deal with the dangers and pressure put on me. My whole body turns wobbly after I leave any sort of gravity well or atmosphere.

Encountering pirates, who happen to blockade a jumpgate and witnessing them vaporizing a trading vessel right infront of my eyes, because the captain wasn't willing to pay their toll or tax or donation or whatever they call it - just like that *a finger snap* doesn't help me to feel better either. It makes things worse.

At least they seemed to either ignore me or didn't even notice me, at least that works out for now...

Right now I "reside" in some scabby room on California Minor after delivering some fuel here just after witnessing Liberty forces trying to fight off "revolutionists", while the real enemy sits right in the warm and cozy heart of Liberty itself.
A ton of credits more for my escape; everything made feels like a drop in the bucket. Endless.

If the air here was breathable, I could as well look for some icey cave and crawl in it and... *she angrily closes her recording device*

...end..of..recording...