Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Artificial Enigma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Part Eleven - The Instruction

It just took some minutes until Bacchus and James arrived, both with a slightly annoyed mood. “What’s going on?” James directly asked.
Freya didn’t have an idea how to start so she began the conversation with the most obvious. “This thing has begun talking to us and now we have received this.” She turned the display. “This looks like an instruction to construct something, isn’t it?”
Both couldn’t handle the information at all just focusing what they saw on the screen. Some seconds later James asked a little absent. “What do you mean it talked to you?” Freya explained to them what happened and they all discussed what this is meant to be, except Eli. He just spectated everyone and cut the conversation after some minutes. “Why don’t we ask it?” He just threw into the room.
Everyone in the room agreed and Freya started to type. “What is this?”
Like before it didn’t took a second for the response to appear. “RESTORING-HARDWARE”
“I think it’s broken or something” Bacchus stated.
Freya headed on. “Why do you need an alternative hardware? Are you broken?”
“CORRECT-ICE-IS-DEFECTING-THE-MAIN-CORES,TRANSLOADING-TO-TEMPORARY-SYSTEM-IS-ADVISED, -ACTIVATION-PREPARATION-HAS-TO-BE-STARTED”
Everyone shuddered a little, but again Eli stated. “I think it needs our help.” They just stood there a time again, no one knew specifically what to answer or to ask, but then a person just stated. “I can build this construction.” Everyone turned around and looked at Daryl, who also stood behind them silently. “Are you sure, Daryl?” James asked him. Daryl immediately approved “Of course it will require some time, but I think we have the components for it.” “Ok, answer” James directed to Freya.
“We will construct it, but we want to know more about you. Who constructed you? Why are you here? A signal directed us to this place, are you responsible for that?”
“SATISFYING---ACCESS-TO-MEMORY-SYSTEM-IS-BLOCKED---ANNEX-MUST-BE-DEFROSTED”
Out of this it wasn’t possible to receive any further information out of it as it seemed it had a full amnesia.
Part Twelve - The Humanization

It was really confusing to look at this construction outside, but at same talking to this thing. Strangely it couldn’t access a lot of its database and had to learn seemingly anything from the scratch. It was like speaking to a newborn. It had an impressively endless desire to know and to learn. The consistency of these multiple conversations had an effect on Freya, lately as a microphone and sound speakers were installed, she felt sentience within it and began to feel something similiar to a relationship with this thing. She started to feel uncomfortable anytime, not knowing how to call this thing, therefore she just asked it. “Can I give you a name?” The thing recently had begun to emulate human language, this even made conversation a lot more familiar. “Of course, as it would please you.” It responded. Freya previously had thought about how to name it. “I’d like to call you Minerva.”

Over the time a lot of people were allowed to talk to Minerva. She learned about their history, she learned about their culture, she learned about fun and love, but she also learned about war, about hate and even about fear.
Part Thirteen- The Starter

Another year passed in which the explorers had managed to remove about 30% of the ice that had frozen the object and the creation of the construction that was instructed. Even Minerva couldn’t exactly answer what it was supposed to be, she just knew that it will save her. It was a machine ten meters in height and a form of a completely smooth cube.
Daryl, who just plugged in the last connection between the object and the machine just grabbed his communicator and spoke in. “We are ready to launch it.”
He immediately heard James voice out of his device. “Roger that. Starting the countdown.”
A voice was heard from the several speakers within the dome.
“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,” They remembered this tone, no one could forget it. It was the humming tone they heard after Freya had launched her software on the object, but something was different, the tone was a lot louder. It nearly seemed like it came directly from the open side of the object. After a minute the lights appeared, they glowed exactly in front of them, thousands of lights of different sizes and intensity, but suddenly the lights began to move.

It was fascinating how fast those Vessels had spreaded, levitating without any visible engine inside the dome. Just by seeing the swarm they were shocked by the Numbers. It was like they’ve hit a beehive.
Part Fourteen - The Machines

Freya and James looked at the display while everything happened, both were shocked, but Freya quickly tried to contact Minerva. “Minerva what is happening?”
Freya waited for an answer but nothing happened.
Suddenly they noticed one of these flying objects directly in front of one of the cameras, pinging light constantly. Freya glared at James and hysterically spoke. “It’s Minerva.” James noticed the structure in the pinging. “She’s using morse code. Wait a moment, I’ll try to understand it.”
The message was:
::do not fear… Minerva is not alone…We are a lot...::

In the background of the display one of these machines turned towards the icy sky and a strong yellow glowing light appeared on its front. James immediately zoomed closer. "It looks like it is charging something!" he nervously commented. After some seconds it stopped and just a heavy pulsing was visible. Suddenly the machine discharged or fired a yellow rail. James moved the camera up and they saw a huge hole within the ice.
Freya and James had just little time realize what happened. Within that moment the machines left the dome with an impressive speed.

Both just stared at the empty dome, seeing the people walking around highly confused and the gigantic object still frozen in the ice.
In this moment James remembered what had happened after they had received the signal for the time. "Was it all a failure?" He loudly questioned himself accidently. Freya noticed his concerns. "No, everything went fine. If we hadn’t found them someone else would’ve and maybe used them for bad things. Or something even worse could have happened. You know what passes these regions." James sighed and laid a hand on her shoulder. "That might be true." Freya laid her hand on James and touched him smoothly. "You have seen Minerva. I believe in her." James gave Freya a light feedback with his hand. "I believe in you and I really hope you are right, our job isn't done yet."
Part Fiveteen - The Meeting

Right after the latest events James ordered everyone of the staff into the meeting room. He already prepared everyone a cigar and a glass of warm milk.
He already sat in his chair while everyone joined the room, looking a little confused to the goodies on the table, but anyone directly moved to a place.
"Thank you for coming." Everybody nodded their heads after James said that. "First I want to thank all of you with this little present. Anyone of you has done an incredible job, but we aren't done yet. The beast out there still wants to be defrosted. Eli has told me that this process will still need a little more than two years, but I have good news. We can leave this cold planet, but we still have to remain silent. We will construct a second outpost right nearby on planet Primus, it's far warmer than down here and finally it will be a better solution for any of us."
It wasn't clear if anyone within the group was happy or sad about this. James just looked into their white empty faces, that were heavily marked by the subterrain. "We aren't sure what has happened to the machines or where they moved to. The first priority is to find that out and get into contact again, but for now enjoy the cigar and taste the milk. We will prepare everything in the next days."
The cigars were lit and the first nips were taken from the milk. It was a while ago James saw someone satisfied like this - or at least that’s what it looked like from his perspective.
Part Sixteen - The Relocation

At the next day the preparation for the relocation to planet Primus started, it had to be done quickly as the radiation slowly started to reach the dome through the hole. Everyone packed their bags and the machineries were safely stored away in the ships’ holds. The ‘Kauket’ was under a hard layer of snow and ice, but seemed intact overall. The loading went rather quick and a little more than a half of the team was ready to launch already.
The layer of ice covering the ‘Kauket’ cracked open after a high burst of energy being sent to the engines and the large ship rose into the sky, snow still whirling around it.

After leaving the atmosphere James and Bacchus couldn’t believe their eyes. Bacchus stated. “It looks like the machines are fighting the nomads.” James looked at him and commented the event. “At least we can exclude these things being responsible for the machines now.” Bacchus had a little sign of anxiety within his face. “ We need to sneak through.” While they had silently passed the combat and moved to Primus they didn’t seem to be noticed by anyone. Luckily Omicron Kappa hasn’t been such a busy system for humans like it was before anymore.
Part Seventeen - Observation

The ‘Kauket’ was in the orbit of Primus, this allowed the Canaan to spectate the characteristics of the machines from an uninvolved distance. While reading through the first reports, the staff had a deep discussion. “Don’t you see it? They have learned from us.” Freya defended her opinion.
It didn’t need a lot of time until other neighboring parties noticed them. They gained awareness of the machines and initially reacted violently. “They are just defending themselves, wouldn’t we do the same? They even tried diplomacy!” Freya directed to the last conversation she had with Minerva. “She is afraid.”
Daryl who sat right beside Freya unbelievingly countered. “Freya, they are still machines. You are taking it too personal.”
Freya turned her head to him and anger appeared on her face. “I have talked with her for months. Even though she is a machine she is fully sentient. What makes you believe, that we are different? We are also just machines, forming our character on the things we have learned.”
Daryl didn’t know how to answer and just looked right and left a little miffed with an uncertain smile on the face.
Freya prepared to move on and grabbed her touchpad. After pressing a button some dialogues between Minerva and her appeared on the holographic display in the middle of the table. “I can show this to you.”
Minerva: I am confused. Humans attack us out of no particular reason.
Freya: Humans are a difficult species, they mostly fear the unknown and therefore act violently.
Minerva: We still try to find peace and talk to them, there are also people that are hearing.
Freya: I wish we could help.
Minerva: You already do.
James who was watching them discussing the whole time was reflecting the herd. “Fine, we will still stay in this system till the object on Gammu is finally defrosted. I definitely think that will clear some things up.”
Part Eighteen - The Evolution

It didn’t take a long time until the machines had several appearances, some of the them had carried some really impressive nanotechnology that allowed them to leave their “shells” and appear in any form they wished to. At first it was strange that Minerva decided to appear to her constant visits, to report her experiences or just to talk, as a beautiful blonde women that could have been Freyas twin, but it didn’t need a long time until it just felt familiar.
“We have managed to find humans that are helping us, we have made contracts for resources and we have found a minable iridium field in our close area.” Minerva reported.
“That are great news Minerva. I am really proud. Do you have something you want to say me. You are still looking a bit unsatisfied.” Freya said as she was talking to her like her little sister.
“There is so much to do and to learn, but these Nomads, they are still hidden for us. They are just passing or attacking us silently.” Minerva stated.
Within the next hour Freya tried to explain Minerva the basics of the nomads, at least what she knew about them by herself. After that Minerva asked her. “You are holding a feeling of trust for me, right?”
Freya immediately answered. “Sure, I trust you Why are you asking.”
Minerva did a waved her hand, while it disappeared a hologram appeared directly in the room. “You as same as me have the desire to learn, to research and to know. Are you willing for a combination?”
Freya looked a lot confused and just asked. “A combination? What do you mean?”
Minerva started to explain. “I can upgrade your biology and we can be directly connected with our nanotechnology. That would open many options for both sides.” Minerva showed her the complete procedure and it looked rather harmless.
Freya just thought about that idea, she was absolutely sure that she could trust Minerva, but it still sounded a little scary. “I will think about that.”

Freya walked to the bridge section of the ‘Kauket’, deeply sunken within thoughts containing Minerva’s offer. She wanted to talk with James and Bacchus about this.
“Have you completely lost your goddamn mind?” Bacchus just shouted out.
“Seriously, It’s my life! Just think about how many opportunities this would give us.” Freya countered.
Bacchus grew considerably more offensive. “But how about you think about the consequences, Miss know-it-all Sampson! Who knows what they could do with this technology inside your body!”
“I trust Minerva.”, Freya yelled. “We freed her from the ice and gave her the possibility to learn from us. She wouldn’t betray me.”
“You still have to remember, she is a machine. Even though she can talk like a human about ‘emotions’, she cannot experience them. We don’t even know if she feels like she’s in our debt.”, James stated with a serious look on his face.
The discussion took multiple hours, going back and forth, but in the end Freya finally made her decision and Bacchus and James had to accept it unwillingly.
She immediately contacted Minerva and some time later the procedure was prepared.

Freya felt strange after the injection and it took her some time to get used to the changes. It seemed like every single one of her senses was enhanced and it was a lot easier to focus, concentrate on and remember things.
Surprisingly most of the people were fascinated and a little envious about this. This resulted into more of them wanting to receive the same procedure as Freya.
Over time, nearly any of them were - as they said - ‘modified’.
Part Nineteen - The Machine War

The whole Omicron Kappa system could be called the property of the machines, as they controlled both planets, were spreaded and doing patrols similar to the humans. Due to an unknown reason something went wrong within the machine ‘society’. Minerva just reported that some corrupted coding turned some of them against the other machines. James and Bacchus just saw it with their own eyes while being on the bridge - Machines fighting machines. “I hope everything will work out right for us in the end.” Bacchus just stated. While hearing that James thought that he was counting day by day awaiting the object to be defrosted. “I still believe this object on Gammu will fix such things.”
Part Twenty - The Transcendence

This message hit James like a bomb. “James, the object will be free of ice within the next day.” He immediately directed the ‘Kauket’ to Gammu and jumped into a small freighter to drop down near the entry of the Kramer construction site. He quickly pulled over his suit and jumped out of the freighter. James had some difficulties seeing the entry as a snowstorm clashing the the planet once again. After some minutes he saw the signal lights and directly moved towards them. Right before entering he hesitated, for a split second he questioned everything they worked for in the past years, but he knew that there was no going back now and stepped down through the tunnels to the construction site.
Bacchus, Eli, Freya and even Minerva awaited James arrival. Upon entering, James was back to his usual, light minded attitude and was wearing his usual smile. “I hope you haven’t started without me.”
Eil, who had some weird looking leftovers from whatever lunch in his mouth angle just mumbled. “No, but everything is ready to launch.”
“Ok, then let’s send the activation pulse.”

Suddenly, the object started shaking violently, throwing nearly everyone out of balance, except Minerva. The amount of noise grew over time, with multiple lights going off.
Soon, the shaking turned into short interval vibrations, making it more bearable to stand upright, but increasing the amount of unease among everyone.

Suddenly just beside them they saw Minerva, staring at Freya without any motion. James softly poked her and said. “I think something is wrong with Minerva.”
Freya turned around, looking at Minerva and just said. “No James, I think she is right.”
And then only a second after she had finished the sentence, Minerva dissolved. She transformed into nanostate, floating as a cloud in the middle of the room. Freya just moved a hand and the cloud rushed at her, surrounding her and slowly disintegrating her body. Anyone in the room was too shocked to move or react, they were just able to watch this disaster. Everyone jumped back while the cloud moved and reformed Minerva, but she was different, her appearance seemed to diffuse. All persons in the room still weren’t able to say and to realize anything. Within that moment a tear dropped from Eli’s eye, the appearance of Minerva broke the silence. ::SHE-HAS-SAVED-YOU::
Without understanding anything, they just stared at Minerva, then she raised her arm and pointed to the display with cameras. James looked at the display, just seeing the machines and the huge object glowing in the background. “Where are the workers?” He just said. Minerva floated a meter towards them and started to speak again. “::ALL-INFORMATION-HAS-BEEN-CONVERTED::”
While hearing that James started to have a clue what she was talking about, but he wasn’t sure at all. “What do you mean ‘saved us‘?”
It just required a nanosecond for Minerva to respond. “::THE-MEMORY-OF-YOUR-FRIEND-HAS-BEEN-INTEGRATED-AND-HAS-REVEALED-YOURSELF::” Right after that Minerva vanished.
James began to understand. It seemed that this object had reset or overwritten the machines. “That was what Freya meant when she said, that Minerva is right.” James said to the others. “This is their original state.”
Without receiving any response, James looked to the others. Their depressed sight overtook him, the sorrow breaking him down too.
Pages: 1 2 3