Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Should RFP follow LPI in terms of ship use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been a die hard romantic for police using LFs since we first brought RFP to light. Police work with people first and use force later.

In many situations this works out alright. Most of my pirate/revolutionary adversaries use fighters and bombers which a decent LF pilot can handle in a fight given enough time and quick movements.

I DO NOT agree with using switching out of LFs to bombers to deal with smugglers in large transports. Constant CDs and the occasional help of the RM are really enough to approach that problem. Plus, we don't get too much contraband anymore.

The problem comes up when we get a gunboat or larger terrorizing Rheinland. LFs can really do nothing. A bomber is pretty much a necessity when dealing with caps and RM isn't always on hand when the problem arises.

But...bombers?...really? for police...this just sounds so counter-intuitive to me. A bomber is a very powerful military unit. I mean, not even specialized police forces in RL come packing that kind of heat. But, then again, police don't typically deal with capital class vehicles.

I might say...go ahead...set up a bomber, pilots, and ask them to never patrol with them but to only respond with them. However, couldn't that rule easily slip away?

I was also thinking of using the SHF in the upcoming version but I wonder if that will really help at all with caps.

Comments? Suggestions?
You know my thoughts - I advocated the SWAT for the LPI, but then again, Liberty has a problem with capital ships (mainly pirate gunboats).

As for the SHF, I'm not so sure, and I'd say 'no', I think.
I like the "swat-team" idea the LPI use for their bombers. A large portion of criminals and pirates are using capships now, and a standard police light-fighter (especially the phantom) just cant stand up to them, even in numbers. They dont have the firepower to take out anything larger than a VHF or -maybe- another bomber.

Lawful police using bomber-type craft is fine, as long as they use the appropriate bomber craft (havoc for LPI, snubnose for RFP, catamaran for KSP, challenger for BPA).

Regarding super-heavy fighters, there are no SHF's available that are explicitly lawful. The three SHF's in this mod right now are the kith-somtaaw SHF, the Spatial IMG SHF, and the Marsflyer - which is being converted into a 'harvester' SHF. The Kith may be sold on a rheinland battleship, but I dont think it's infocard states that it is built by the rheinland police or military.
Police don't get enough action with the military doing everything themselves. If they can't have bombers, they're utterly useless other than RPing out a situation. Which is totally great, but isn't possible when a bunch of pirates come online and decide to take over.

SWAT team.
' Wrote:Regarding super-heavy fighters, there are no SHF's available that are explicitly lawful. The three SHF's in this mod right now are the kith-somtaaw SHF, the Spatial IMG SHF, and the Marsflyer - which is being converted into a 'harvester' SHF. The Kith may be sold on a rheinland battleship, but I dont think it's infocard states that it is built by the rheinland police or military.

I thought I saw somewhere that an SHF was being added to the Rheinland ship line...I could be wrong...will search for it
Yes, the newest and last SHF to be implemented to Discovery mod is the Rheinland Mjolnir SHF, and my first model, built with AoM, for this mod =P
' Wrote:Yes, the newest and last SHF to be implemented to Discovery mod is the Rheinland Mjolnir SHF, and my first model, built with AoM, for this mod =P

Any stats on that one? Perhaps a S'nova power supply with considerably weaker hull than a bomber? I couldn't find any thread on it except for a reference to it in the ship submission thread.
' Wrote:Any stats on that one? Perhaps a S'nova power supply with considerably weaker hull than a bomber? I couldn't find any thread on it except for a reference to it in the ship submission thread.

For comparison, the IMG spatial SHF can fire a supernova, has something 4 class 10 gun hardpoints, and I think 4 class 5 turret hardpoints that can all fire forward. It also has two mine droppers (can drop double nuke mines) plus a CM, and it has twice the armor of most bombers.

The Kiith Somtaaw SHF has I think 2 class 10 guns, 5 class 5 turrets, can fire a supernova, and has slightly less armor than the Spatial.

The marsflyer, on the other hand, is worthless.
I suppose my idea of the SHF is a bit skewed then...guess I never really looked in to it:P

They are bigger than bombers and have more firepower than bombers but reduced maneuverability?
SHFs are all utter crap - as such, I'd advise against using them, for any purposes whatsoever.

Anyway, I support police factions using bombers, and I'd suggest that they be individually dispensed to ranking members.
Pages: 1 2 3