Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Lane Hackers R&D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
::Powering transmitter::
Encryption: High
Priority: Medium

To: Lane Hacker R&D

Good morning!

I realize your time is better spent sifting through transmissions and code rather than flattering social niceties, so I will just relay my hope that your aims are fruitful and your people remain in good health.

Now to the point of my communique. We are in the process of designing a more efficient class of transport. Not very exciting perhaps, but we are looking for the very best in these technical matters. And only a fool would reason that the best in the area of electronics and computers would be the organizations you hack into every day.

Therefore, we wish to make a deal with you in the manufacture of the new transport's computer, communications and control systems. Given the nature of some captain's business, we wish a rugged, discreet and secure system that appears to be ordinary on inspection.

Will something of this nature interest you? If it does, I am sure we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. Oh. If you take requests, could you next put up a random LSF officer drunkenly serenading a goat? For entertainment value, of course.

Thank you for your time,
AndyH
Junkers Congress, Liberty Operations
...hack.initiated...decryption.in.progress...
...Professor.Nicole.Hunter.recognized...transmission.encrypted...
...uploading.data...
...live.feed.initialized...

[Image: 1b.png][Image: 7.png]

Dear Andy,

I must admit that a communication from Junkers Congress was quite unexpected. Lately you have been either ignoring my operatives or even acting unfriendly. Just recently one of your deluded captains claimed that Deep Space Engineering is under your protection. Over a month ago captain of Rattlehead, who introduced himself as Eric "the director of Liberty for Congress" went as far as defending an Independent Neuralnet Division transport who we extorted and destroyed. He intentionally evaporated Cardamine we extracted from the wreckage worth over 6 million credits which was waiting for pickup. I did not push this incident any further as it was rather a minor insolence not really worth my time.

Nonetheless, I will be frank with you that my sympathy for the Junker's Congress is being tested. It feels as like the times when you understood well the nature of our relations and were eager to support us and be supported happened entire lifetime ago.

To answer your question, naturally, we are interested in the project. However, before we can even start negotiating the details you need to address the issues I have mentioned earlier. I need to know if you are still the Junkers I knew or you transformed into a mega corporation - similar to the ones we fight. I need to know if you still remember what is your role in the Sirius ecosystem and what benefits fall upon you because of it - or did you forget it entirely. Finally, I need to know if I can expect more incidents and unfriendly gestures like the ones I mentioned, or you are determined to quell them down.

Dear Andy, please do forward this message to your board of Arbiters. I will eagerly await your response.

Kind regards,
Nicole Hunter

P.S. I think that for starters it would be a nice gesture to send six million credits to LH~R&D as a reparation for vaporized Cardamine.

...live.feed.lost...
...encryption.in.progress...hack.terminated...
::Powering Transmitter::
::Encryption High::
::Adjusting Frequency--Locked::

Dear Nicole Hunter,

Thank you for responding, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I also wish to thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention.

You are quite correct that there has been a lack of... the word escapes me at the moment. Anyway, I could site a long list of reasons and justifications, but I won't. Such factors are not excuses and I will not treat them as such.

First, let me clear up a bit of a misunderstanding that seems to have been causing problems. It seems the LH pilot you highlighted in your cross-reference was misidentified as most likely being one of the many Hogosha paid bounty hunters of late to, well... murder our pilots. A reasonable assumption by an inexperienced pilot, given the name in question. Our pilot was warned, perhaps overly so, about false flag IFF. Also, there is some truth to certain DSE ships being under our protection.

There are hard-working DSE miners who have settled on Saltese and work to provide our depot with valuable ores. These are crucial in maintaining Saltese operations and if they are doing honest business with the base, it in turn is obligated to provide some level of safety. That being said, we are under no obligation to protect a DSE ship who refuses to make use of Saltese, or to continue such protection once they leave the Humbolt system. Which also happens to send laden transports closer to your own area of operations rather than your pilots traveling all they way out there just to see if any shipping is present. I have personally made this clear to the Junker pilot in question.

You are quite correct about clearing up matters and reestablishing old connections. I hope you are willing help reopen neglected doors. For starters, we have collectively deemed that the requested 6 million credits to compensate for merely your lost cargo is insufficient. After talking among the Arbiters, an amount of 20 million seemed a more fair compensation. This has been deposited as you requested.

Payment

Please let me know how else we can mend old fences or open up new opportunities.

Safe skies,

AndyH
Junkers Congress, Liberty Operations Director
::End of Message::
...uploading.data...

[Image: 1a.png][Image: 7.png]

Dear Andy,

I am satisfied with your message. We do understand that the role you play requires at least general neutrality with entities we consider hostile. Ironically, by being able to trade with them you can better serve your purpose and thus better aid our goals. I do hope though that you do also understand that interfering in our operations against those entities is unacceptable.

Speaking of which, our industrial espionage section has recently discovered that Gauls are producing the highest quality ferromagnetic materials. As you know magnets are widely used in a large variety of equipment, most notably sensor and communication arrays. We want to confirm quality of Gallic magnets for the purpose of our R&D and possibly your project. We know you have contacts within Gallia and this task should not be too hard for you. Please, bring us 3500 metric units of Magnets to Cochrane Depot.

In the meantime we can discuss details of your project. I think I have a good idea of what you want to achieve - plausible deniability - and this is something we are really good at. What I need to know though is that if you are building entire new ship or customizing existing one, exempli gratia the Salvager. Please, provide us with more details concerning your project so we can have something to work on.

Kind regards,
Nicole Hunter

...live.feed.lost...

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for your understanding in our neutral position. I agree that interfering with your affairs would be unacceptable, just as it would be likewise. Fortunately I do not see any reason why we would do so, as our interests do not usually cross paths except in what may be mutually beneficial.

As for your request for 3500 units of high quality Gallic Magnets, I sent two of our captains out on this assignment to ensure that at least one shipment would arrive intact. It turned out that both reported success and that a back up plan was not needed. I instructed that there would be no extra obligation on your part for this extra shipment.

Delivery 3500 units
Arrival of back up delivery

Now to the project. As you know the so called "Pirate" Train is illegal in several houses regardless of origin or actual history of individual ships. Especially Liberty is guilty of this. Probably because it has "Pirate" in the name, given how corrupt the Liberty Government has become. This also forces us to fly the Bisons, built by Liberty Corporations. The technology is not entirely compatible, their maintenance is very high and requires parts from outside the Junker domain.

Granted, we are good at salvaging and refurbishing parts. But nothing can be rebuilt forever. I am sure you are aware of the worsening "relations" driven by certain power-mad officials within the Liberty Government. They clearly wish to cut us off at best, so it would be prudent to look at other solutions. Thus we are looking to begin producing a Junker built class of heavy transport roughly equivalent in lift capacity or better to improve convoy efficiency and ability. Something our shipyards can produce that will replace the outdated and heavily scrutinized Pirate Train.

I am told the engineer behind the preliminary work is highly secretive and prone to keep things hidden until he feels it is ready to be unveiled. Since the computer systems require a certain finesse regarding the ship's operation, I am seeing about relaying to you some rough ideas of what we are looking at for making your estimates. Memos have already gone out, and I will ask about details you may require. Unfortunately I am not directly involved with the project, and at the mercy of the eccentrically-minded engineer/artist. You know how they can be about their work.

Safe skies,

AndyH
...uploading.data...

[Image: 1a.png][Image: 7.png]

Dear Andy,

We have prepared preliminary design of the obfuscated second tier communication array conforming to all the requirements of plausible deniability which can be installed on any large civilian class transport vessel. Let me start from pointing out obviousness. You cannot simply install a sophisticated communication and sensor array on a transport vessel. It is like shouting "I have something to hide!" during an inspection. Even the most basic scan performed by a drunken LPI will detect it.

What you need is, instead of one sophisticated high-technology module, a set of remotely connected ordinary functional modules that during scan will look like nothing unusual. For instance a life support control module with extended memory drive and stronger central processing unit, fuel consumption control module with custom extensions and power capacitors, starboard engines control unit with supposedly redundant network interface... All these modules upon inspection will look perfectly normal like any broken module repaired with random salvaged parts. What an inspection will not be able to detect is that all these remote nodes when being connected to the ship internal network and controlled by a managing program ran from main system console will act like a military-grade communication and cryptographic array.

[Image: 41.png]

You might be worried that during a prolonged inspection your investigators will find our software on your ship and thus learn about the obfuscated array. I wish to assure you that there is little chance for that. Our software will be stored in sectors of your memory drives that are tagged as empty space. Using high entropy algorithms we will fill it with random data so it looks like remnants of deleted files. However, upon activation after specifying leading sector and correct decryption password a virtual drive using these sectors and containing our software will be mounted in your system and allow you to run our software securely and safely.

Once you have your ships ready we can install this solution on any number of vessels.

Kind regards,
Nicole Hunter

...live.feed.lost...

Dear Nicole Hunter,

All I can say is "Wow." I am truly speechless at your solution and the talents of your people. I mean I may have an elaborate sounding title and all, but I still work for a living resupplying Junker infrastructure. Doesn't take fancy smarts or a smooth tongue for that.

Where was I? Ah yes. Once production gets underway, how would you folk prefer to do this? I think our engineers can manage rigging the hardware as you proposed, but I also think you folks will want to handle the software end of things. That is some tricky stuff there and I understand if you don't want some fancy techniques divulged. So would you prefer us picking up self-erasing black box installation modules or perhaps you sending a small team of technicians to oversee the work on our shipyard?

Now, what can I do to support what you are doing? Oh, I don't mean something simple like running some cargo quietly out to your bases. Any number of people can do that. Look, we both know Liberty has become the cesspool of Sirius. It seems like the only ones that care are the "bad guys." Thugs, pirates, rebels and smugglers. We Junkers are not a part of Liberty, and people's affairs are their own. But what we have seen over the past few years makes even us sick over what that House has become. The following is just recent instigations against Congress alone. Who knows what else is going on outside the public eye.

Congress pledge of support for aid against Gallia.

Copy of document sent by legal person highlighting Congress pledge of support against Gallia and next day's resulting consequences.

Mechanoid's memory dump of Congress attempts with Liberty's legal "due process" before leaving courtroom.

Response of totalitarian faction within LibGov during "due process" requiring an unspoken but demanded unconditional surrender, annexation, and occupation of Junker home system before and regardless of any legal rulings or agreed upon arrangements with their own law enforcement authority.

I have done some background research, and I am aware that you folks have fought to bankrupt the "Big Three" corporations for the last 70 years. A major part of what makes them powerful is the monopoly Ageira has over the transport technology industry throughout Sirius. Right now, sadly, these corporations are about the only thing holding back Liberty from becoming a totalitarian military regime and possibly even a puppet of Gallia. However, it also presents a weakness that may be exploited into an opportunity to start cleaning up the corrupt system that is in place. Would you perhaps be interested in a long-term venture against the one company that is key to all these other's rise to power?

Best wishes,

AndyH
...uploading.data...

[Image: 1b.png][Image: 7.png]

Dear Andy,

I am sorry for a very late reply, but recently I have been extremely busy with our new recruitment procedure and all coding related to it. The goal of this project is to help us seek out potential recruits for our ranks and give them a tool of reaching us despite the government surveillance. Your problems with Liberty Government are not a surprise for me. The entire militaristic and corporatocratic establishment in Liberty is corrupted beyond redemption. These two coexist almost symbiotically fueling one another, Navy Ageira - by giving them lucrative government contracts - and Ageira Navy - by providing them with weapons and technology. However, if you think that Deep Space Engineering is not part of this ecosystem then you are wrong. Ageira barely produces anything, as they mostly focus on design and leave mass production to DSE. There are truly no innocents here.

As for the implementation of the system on your ships, I do not believe we need to do any decisions now. The preliminary design is ready and once you have your ships ready we will finalize preparations and choose the best option based on current circumstances and availability of our resources.

You asked how Junkers's Congress could help us. I think that there is something you could do for us. There is a certain device we have designed recently for which we do not posses required production capabilities to complete. Please advise if you would be willing to do it for us. We would naturally refund both resource costs and pilots fees.

Kind regards,
Nicole Hunter

...live.feed.lost...

[Image: IJ4D9Uo.jpg]

AndyH -- Acting Deputy Arbiter

Good evening, Ms. Hunter.

I suspected your delay was due to your being required to prioritize Lane Hacker workload. I know how it goes at times and have not been overly concerned. I trust that you have been taking care of yourself while you have been looking after the security of your people? One of my own flaws is not respecting my limits when extra hands are needed. No matter how many times I pay for working myself too hard, I just don't seem to learn my lesson.

I am glad to hear that we have something in common where Liberty is concerned, and I agree with your assessment of the symbiotic power structure that has been engineered from behind close doors.

However, I do personally hold that there are "innocents." Or is the janitor who cleans some big shot's toilet just as deserving of retribution as the man who would gladly write off that hired janitor as an expendable resource? Junkers tend to see such ones as potentially disgruntled and an opportunity to cultivate for the future. We know sometimes the best hand for slipping something into a king's cup is the one checking it for poison in the first place.

Now, on to business. I concur that there is no hurry for production decisions right now, and I will let you folk know when the first prototype vessel is ready. As for your request for industrial assistance with your project, I'm sure something can be arranged. I won't ask for details of what the device actually is over even a secure frequency.

One of your ships can deliver the blueprints to one of our resupply ships leaving Saltese for Puerto Rico, and it will be hand delivered straight to me. Then we can discuss arrangements separately without even remote risk of interception.

Safe skies,
AndyH
Acting Deputy Arbiter
Junkers Congress
...Provocateur.Goro.Yoshida.recognized...transmission.encrypted...
...uploading.data...

[Image: aYeyeyU.png][Image: GrsS6Am.png]

Greetings Congressmen. Apparently it is very hard to find you these days.

I am sending you this message in order to inform you that our scientists have finished the construction of the Communications Arrays on your Salvager mega-project.

The only thing that remains is to conduct field tests by sending empty transmissions to places in New York system which have extremely high chances to be intercepted by the LSF. After and only after the Arrays successfully pass those field tests we will be ready to begin mass-production.

Subsequently I am going to ask from you is to give us a Hyperscanner Scanner Mk3 in order to accurately send those transmissions through the aforementioned areas of New York. After one or two days we will return the scanner as we will have gathered enough coordinates. Additionally since operating that massive scanner will require large amounts of H-Fuel, we also request 6,000 units to be delivered in Leiden Base.

If you are in a hurry with this project, I suggest you to not take too long with these deliveries.

Pages: 1 2