Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Looking For a New Video Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So, I've come to the realization (about 3-4 months ago) that my PC is more or less plenty powerful to run almost any game decently that is currently available. I may have to turn the settings down, but my PC should still at least be able to run it.

However, I've figured out that the weak point of my PC is my GPU, when it was made (and yes, I didn't build it myself, I got it really cheap on sale, deal with it), they didn't bother putting a decent enough graphics card in there, they sorta cheaped out and used a pretty standard 1 gig card with a relatively unimpressive clock speed.

So, in preparation for the future, and some of the more demanding games coming out soon (or never, *cough* GTA V *cough*), I want to try to upgrade my video card to something decent. Here's a list of a few details of what I'm looking for...

Would like to keep the cost as cheap as possible, max I'm willing to go is about $200.
Probably needs to be a card with an AMD chipset, since I have an AMD processor.
A card with two HDMI outputs would be great, so that I could use a 23 inch TV I have laying around as my new monitor, but keep my PC also hooked up to my 40 inch.
A 3 gig card would be nice, if there's a cheap enough one out there.
GTX 960
The GTX 960 is a 200ish card, which has a very high price/power rating for a mid-tier choice.
A few years back, the same spot was occupied by the GTX 750.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-...ce-GTX-750

[Image: T7Uomu2.png]
(03-12-2015, 01:15 PM)Snak3 Wrote: [ -> ]GTX 960

then youll probably need to get a new PSU, and check cooling as these can get hot, youll need a psu that can handle upto 35amps on the 12 rails

dont just get a beefy card and hope it works, if you got a small/low ampage psu , expect a pop and expensive repairs
I'm relatively certain my PSU is good enough, it's a 500 watt, IIRC. That was one thing I upgraded almost as soon as I got my computer, came with a 300 watt originally, just not enough power.

The GTX 960 looks like a decent card, but I'm concerned about how well it will get along with my AMD CPU.
My friend is running it alongside an FX-8350.
Mixing AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs is not really that much of a problem these days.
(03-13-2015, 01:38 AM)SMGSterlin Wrote: [ -> ]I'm relatively certain my PSU is good enough, it's a 500 watt, IIRC. That was one thing I upgraded almost as soon as I got my computer, came with a 300 watt originally, just not enough power.

The GTX 960 looks like a decent card, but I'm concerned about how well it will get along with my AMD CPU.

the watts isnt the main thing to look for, you could have a 1000w but only supply 19amps and itll go pop, but a 400w with 30amps would be fine

so still check on the label on the side what ampage is on the 12v rails
(03-13-2015, 03:03 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]My friend is running it alongside an FX-8350.
Mixing AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs is not really that much of a problem these days.

Would an AMD Phenom x2 count as from "these days" and mix well?

, noted.
No
Upgrade your CPU first.

FX 4X are decent.
If you can afford it, get a FX 8350, it is at a good price these days.
GTX 960 isn't that good deal. Get 280x as it has more frame buffer, has better performance and costs around the same.
Pages: 1 2 3