Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Nova torpedos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
why is it they can effectively be used as anti - fighter weaponry?
seems a little stupid to me, they turn at a ridiculous speed :S

edit- mortars aswell

comments anyone?
They cant be used efectively against fighters because they turn too slow. Unless you fire them at point blank range, and you risk being hit by the blast too. Same for mortars.

Those torps were meant as anti BS weps. thats why they have expanded explosion radius. To avoid missile inmunity problem seen in big ships.
Korrd hate to say but Novas can hit fighters pritty well.

And mortars can hit to prob is a gunboat fires one at you with after burner and even if you use CM's when it hits the CM's it blows up and hurts you.

Anyway a torpedo is ment to go in a straight line missles track targets and torps go in the direction you fire they should not track at all really, same with mortars a mortar goes up then drops on target but would be hard to do in FL so just make it go in a straight line BS's move slow so you could hit them anyway.

Kiggles :mellow:
Have you seen starwars? Proton torpedos track targets and are VERY hard to dodge. Novas are easy to dodge but still have slight tracking so it can actually attack battleships. Without that mortars would be useless. Unless we make the speed of them ALOT higher they will have to lock on and track targets.

Teaboy... I'm sorry but you are very wrong. Novas have almost no tracking abilities. Gunboats can dodge them if they are shot from far enough away. Fighters its easy unless your on a head-on attack and they shoot at 200m away. Thats why it seems its fast because its the enemy's ship speed plus your speed plus the torpedos engine speed. So it seems they are fast, but thats because your flying straight at it.
its still stupid....... they shouldnt be able to track. and if they can, they shouldnt be able to turn so sharply.
Torpedoes can track in real life too.
The submarine torpedoes were cable-guided y using information from the sub active sonar.
Actual torpedoes can seek a target by themselves because they have sonar sensor array in the bow.

Novas behave almost like real torpedoes. they are slow, have little maneuverability (just enough to do course corrections while homing) and carry a powerful payload.

Its the easiest to elude with a fighter because of that, unless they fire at you at point blank. And even at point blank, it sometimes does not explode due to lag.
Teaboy,Jul 14 2006, 12:58 PM Wrote:its still stupid....... they shouldnt be able to track.  and if they can, they shouldnt be able to turn so sharply.
[snapback]26429[/snapback]

You didn't read what I said. They do not track as well as you say. They have crappy turning. You just think they turn fast. But really they hit the side of your ship as you start turning before you actually get very far. You just need to turn earlier before someone gets close enough to shoot it at you.
I cant say for nova's, but my crusers twin light mortars can pull two 90 degree sharp turns, after that they just spin off into space, there easily avoided, i only use them against NPC fighter wings because they dont dodge, and they vaporise those fighter wings before they can swarm me :)

Torpedoes are ok the way they are, look at our current technology, now think about what advances we would make to that weapons tech in the future, now relate that to the FreeLancer setting, hell, torpedoes in FL (if it were reality) would probably be able to kill the heavyer fighters as well as capital class ships.

My advice to you is to learn to fly erraticly, never fly in a strait line, fighters never fly in strait lines, it just invites getting shot down, its why its called dogfighting, your all over the place, its not a chase.
ok, so just to say, if i have to turn and dodge mortars all the time, i cannot fight. spend the whole time running, only to get destroyed by a right angle turning mortar anyway
secondly, fire a torpedo from a ship at a speedboat, and not any old speedboat, a racing boat travelling over 100mph.... will it get it? hah.
Cruisers and BSs cannot dodge torpedos easily BSs can't at all unless the torp was not aimed well. Gunboats are meant to be able to dodge quite a few, hence their small size and speed. But well aimed ones can still hit them. They have the ability to dodge them because they are meant to take down fighters.
Pages: 1 2 3