Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: final nail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(07-05-2015, 06:38 AM)R.I.P. Wrote: [ -> ]Lol yea, eliminate any other choices and make this server a monopoly. Dumbest thing i have seen yet. You must work for the American government.

Feel free to elaborate then, if you have the capacity to do so.
revert to .85

kthx
(07-04-2015, 10:23 PM)R.I.P. Wrote: [ -> ]Mainly because a lot of people have quit, i personally have deleted all my ships and will never return to the game. Just here checking messages and laughed when i seen this. Disco is dying, stop denying it. : ) (flame on)
Nobody is denying it, because it is really big surprise that 12 YEARS OLD game is slowly losing players. Can you name one equally old game which is able steadily increase their player count? Can you name ten equally old games which still have servers with at least 40 players online and active community around them?

(07-05-2015, 06:38 AM)R.I.P. Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2015, 12:16 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Stop giving people the option to create unofficial servers using the Discovery mod and I am sure we can get more people on our own, when they do not have choice which server to pick.

Lol yea, eliminate any other choices and make this server a monopoly. Dumbest thing i have seen yet. You must work for the American government.
While I don´t have clear opinion about this, I understand reasoning to restrict it. Other servers are using work of Disco devs (which invested their time and effort) and in the end damage the outcome by luring players away from server which the mod was created for. If people want their own servers, why shouldn´t they invest their time and effort and create their own mods?

(07-05-2015, 08:44 AM)Carter Wrote: [ -> ]revert to .85

kthx
This won´t help in any way. Why some people keep thinking that golden age is connected to certain version of mod when there were far more reasons why that age was golden. This will not work now, instead some players who like the new toys from newer versions will leave.
(07-05-2015, 06:38 AM)R.I.P. Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2015, 12:16 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Stop giving people the option to create unofficial servers using the Discovery mod and I am sure we can get more people on our own, when they do not have choice which server to pick.

Lol yea, eliminate any other choices and make this server a monopoly. Dumbest thing i have seen yet. You must work for the American government.

What is dumb about this? The mod is maintained by this community.

Disco is fun but it is more enjoyable if something like 150 players are online.
(07-05-2015, 09:01 AM)Laura C. Wrote: [ -> ]

kthx
This won´t help in any way. Why some people keep thinking that golden age is connected to certain version of mod when there were far more reasons why that age was golden. This will not work now, instead some players who like the new toys from newer versions will leave.

True, but some things did work better back then. If you take away the player base and only look at the game itself, it has really changed a lot, from being an action packed space shooter to being some strange sim city / passive-aggressive hybrid shooter with 30 seconds distance to nearest friendly weapon platfrom or dockable; it doesn't work terribly well.

Turret steer significantly tipped the way PVP was balanced, now even the biggest nub with solaris turrets and zoom is a real danger. Huge mistake to nerf individual player-skill progression like that, although from a cap vs cap perspective, ts is nice.

POB's and other mindless grinds were introduced, again changing focus from flying around in space in little ships shooting each other, to having to have schedules, spreadsheets and panic attacks.

There are other things, but 4.85 was the last version of the mod to be thoroughly based on the Freelancer gameplay. I suppose from a dev perspective, 4.86 and later contains far more original gameplay stuff, and that is fun and exciting so it's a natural direction for the mod to take - it's a volunteer project so it's supposed to be fun for those who create it. However my opinion is that the core Freelancer gameplay is what always made Disco worthwhile, so for me that's at the center and that is the reason - notwithstanding nostalgia - I preferred 4.85 as it was a little more "pure" in that regard.

---------------------------------------

I still have a Disco passion, but I never play. I even tried creating new indie ships to fly around and chat with people, but whenever you find people they are very busy with the grind or don't speak English (or just don't want to communicate). Then you can meet some friendly LNS'ers, and while they are nice guys it's not much fun flying around with a bunch of cap players that shit all over every snub they come across, so that gets old fast. What I tend to do is make a pirate and meet random players at the lanes and roll with them for a while, but then you get PM'ed by angry players or have to read dumb stuff on the forum (and deal with subsequent nerfs afterwards), in spite of appealing to people's common sense. It's an uphill struggle.

It is very difficult to find enjoyment in the game if you aren't already completely lost in a faction/POB or a circle of cyber-friends etc. It's become a game that hinges on its surrounding structures (maybe it always was and I was just blind to it), and that sucks the life out of those who cherish individuality more than anything. There's a long list of individuals who fought for their own views and got rejected over the years.
To be honest, I feel that Disco is less restrictive when compared to two years ago (hence I fully joined Disco again). Everyone are pointing out restrictions, "forced" roleplay and stuff... Guess what, this is a roleplay server and basic English is needed to have fun.

There is setting of course, that cannot be jumped over - because it would be like making D&D character a Japanese (yes, I am aware about Eastern Lands Expansion to the Forgotten Realms) with sniper rifle. Which could be a pretty neat idea, but not fitting the overall lore and setting.

Rules are rules, and aside of some extreme examples with pretty unclear or poorly written lines (yes, I'm looking at you, Nomad ID and such), they are straightforward. There are just... About 20 rules at the best to remember, which could boil down to four things:

1. Roleplay before your attack, with at least two sentences.

2. Keep to the lines in your ID (and PLEASE check the system listing before using certain types of IDs).

3. Be aware of the House Laws (or other laws) that exist inside roleplay - they may differ.

4. Don't be a dick and keep everything fair-play.

With this, we could even hit 200/200 8|

+1

EDIT: Oh btw, if you want to make your own damn server, then make your own Mod and make an unofficial server for all we care. But this is Disco and GC is the Main Server, so people realy should play on this rather than making unofficial ones. If they're so eager, then they should make their own mod, simple as that.
As harsh as it may sound, removing the ability to make anything but a LAN server would, ermm, maybe benefit us to atleast some small extents. Maybe 10 or 20 more server pop each day. Well, that's my thought.
(07-05-2015, 10:06 AM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]

kthx

True, but some things did work better back then. If you take away the player base and only look at the game itself, it has really changed a lot, from being an action packed space shooter to being some strange sim city / passive-aggressive hybrid shooter with 30 seconds distance to nearest friendly weapon platfrom or dockable; it doesn't work terribly well.

Turret steer significantly tipped the way PVP was balanced, now even the biggest nub with solaris turrets and zoom is a real danger. Huge mistake to nerf individual player-skill progression like that, although from a cap vs cap perspective, ts is nice.

POB's and other mindless grinds were introduced, again changing focus from flying around in space in little ships shooting each other, to having to have schedules, spreadsheets and panic attacks.

There are other things, but 4.85 was the last version of the mod to be thoroughly based on the Freelancer gameplay. I suppose from a dev perspective, 4.86 and later contains far more original gameplay stuff, and that is fun and exciting so it's a natural direction for the mod to take - it's a volunteer project so it's supposed to be fun for those who create it. However my opinion is that the core Freelancer gameplay is what always made Disco worthwhile, so for me that's at the center and that is the reason - notwithstanding nostalgia - I preferred 4.85 as it was a little more "pure" in that regard.

I still have a Disco passion, but I never play. I even tried creating new indie ships to fly around and chat with people, but whenever you find people they are very busy with the grind or don't speak English (or just don't want to communicate). Then you can meet some friendly LNS'ers, and while they are nice guys it's not much fun flying around with a bunch of cap players that ***** all over every snub they come across, so that gets old fast. What I tend to do is make a pirate and meet random players at the lanes and roll with them for a while, but then you get PM'ed by angry players or have to read dumb stuff on the forum (and deal with subsequent nerfs afterwards), in spite of appealing to people's common sense. It's an uphill struggle.

It is very difficult to find enjoyment in the game if you aren't already completely lost in a faction/POB or a circle of cyber-friends etc. It's become a game that hinges on its surrounding structures (maybe it always was and I was just blind to it), and that sucks the life out of those who cherish individuality more than anything. There's a long list of individuals who fought for their own views and got rejected over the years.

Upvote + gold.
(07-05-2015, 10:06 AM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]

kthx

I still have a Disco passion, but I never play. I even tried creating new indie ships to fly around and chat with people, but whenever you find people they are very busy with the grind or don't speak English (or just don't want to communicate). Then you can meet some friendly LNS'ers, and while they are nice guys it's not much fun flying around with a bunch of cap players that ***** all over every snub they come across, so that gets old fast. What I tend to do is make a pirate and meet random players at the lanes and roll with them for a while, but then you get PM'ed by angry players or have to read dumb stuff on the forum (and deal with subsequent nerfs afterwards), in spite of appealing to people's common sense. It's an uphill struggle.

Golden, pure golden... i couldn't have said any of this better. *bow*

Now seriously, revert to .85.

Also,

This.

Edit: Also, Laura, now that you mention it - why don't you enlighten me and tell me about these "toys"? What, cloaks? Jump drives? PoBs? Please, these were c.a.n.c.e.r since the day 1 when they were introduced. I wouldn't be upset if they vanished, no, exactly the opposite, i'd cry of happiness.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17