Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Feelings that ring The Bell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A large vessel stood out in the middle of the crow nebula, hidden within its blue cloud. Actively bristling with all sorts of people within its family of a crew. The kitchen of the vessel had a rather odd visitor, one that wasn't part of the crew, but felt he knew the people of the ship. But not enough to feel casual about it, seeming that he'd stay a distance away from the people he'd be talking to while aboard.

"Why am i on the edge all the time...?" Enfield stood by the kitchen doorway, leaning back against the wall. Holding a bottle of half drunken orange juice, he converses with a woman in the kitchen with him, she stood by the fridge drinking her own drink. "Honestly, when you live a life of constant danger, and when things like... Well, this happen. Its hard not to." He rubs the back of his neck. "Especially when you're a known officer within ranks of the Rheinland intelligence agency. Although I push pencils more than triggers. But i guess I also miss the action." He chuckles, wiping a small bit of juice from his chin. "I've even considered retiring down to some place calm..."
"Pah. Millitant groups. It's your own fault for finding a place with one of them." Is the response he gets in return. "It's one way to get hunted down for the rest of your life, be that long or short." Eying him carefully. "I think you might be a bit too late. Can't shake the eye floating over your shoulder. - The life of 'constant danger' doesn't need to be constant. Exposure now and then to keep the blood rushing is one thing, although you've made a mistake if you always have to keep looking over your shoulder.
Then again, I dunno if i'm in any place to talk about that. I suppose I merely have decided to grow oblivious to danger around me. overconfidence is nasty, huh."

Jessica tilts her head slightly. "So, is that all you really wanted?" Meaning what he came here for, as Rachel did the work she needed to do.

"It's not too late, if it was too late I'd be dead." He shakes his head. "We still have our time together, and... Well, we have loved a lot of it together, minus the few occasional hickups. Its like driving a car for me at 16, its good to take a peak in the mirror frequently, but to stare and look when there's a problem is better advised before taking action. I should feel cautious, not paranoid, i dont believe that im always being watched, i know that i am, but i don't panic over it. Not shutting myself in like solitary confinement. I can relax when I've pulled over..? That or talking to a few friends I take gratitude in." He gives a friendly smirk. "Anyway, yes... This is what we'd hoped to be getting... Although I'm so used to expecting a job to be done before or after, I tend to ignore it but I felt like I should ask... Or is this so you can finally kiss my nuisance goodbye before i... Move on with my pathetic militant life?" He gives quite a loud chuckle, shakes his head and gives a pleasant smile. "Ohh... I feel good enough that i could have a nice smoothie right now... Save the umbrella."
"When it comes down to it, I feel like you're grasping at straws. You're trying to make things right in your life, without making things right for the things that you've done in the past. - I believe what i'm trying to say here, is that being self-centered for a period of time to get a life in order is reasonable. But history is gonna catch up with you, man. The people that you've ruined, be it directly, or indirectly are still going to be as they are through the work that you've done.

Perhaps i'm trying to suggest a profession change here."

Placing her empty glass on the counter. Sighing, she reaches into her pocket. Setting a small data-chip down on the counter, next to the empty glass. "Perhaps there's something on here they'll help you get started. If you truly care.
Depending on your response, will pretty much influence how much i'll care myself."
“I may be selfish, but not without good reason. I just want things to be right for her. Can’t exactly just leave her be… Commitment, I think that’s what they call it, but that’s something for another day, eh~.” He takes a moment to finish off the rest of his drink, sealing the bottle and then keeping it in his bag. “I can accept I’ve done wrong, you’d think after my last talk with your friend that I wouldn’t be constantly reminded about it. Now, where were we? So, a few Jobs. I don’t mind doing them, just as long as my position isn’t jeopardized within the Buro until my work is done. I’ll be moderately happy with it.” He walks up to the island counter on the opposite side of her, giving a few glances at the data-chip before picking it up. He rolls his shoulder, bringing up his sleeve to his metal arm. A port hidden on his fore-arm opens, clocking open with a mechanical noise. “This for now or later…?”
"It's time to make amends. That's all there is to it. Living with it is fine. But right now, it's time for you to start to go back. Dropping the selfish attitude, and fix what you ruined. Hell there's even one person aboard this ship right here, that you've upset through your.. endeavors.
Screw the Buro, you have more important things to be given attention. You as a person comes above your identity and capacities of any sort of agent."

She says firmly. Giving him an odd look.

"That chip comes into play when you finally decide that it's a good idea to help people for free, rather than the help which you've been tasked with, that ends up badly for one party. You won't regret it. Hell, you might actually get what you're looking for in that case. Rachel can't restore everything, only what she's worked on. I'm quite sure she knows the encoding of the fragmented and corrupted pieces. - Her motivation, depends on what you do with your life."
“Think this will make me a better person...? Yeah well... We'll see if i agree with that after this.” He stares at the chip, and then the port, continuously switching between the two. “But if Rachel's motivation counts on how much I help people for the gratitude of just feeling good... Well... Shes in luck." He looks at the chip, quite concerned about its looks, or what might even be on it. He then brings it to his face, examining it even closer. “Whats on here exactly? Don't get me wrong, but I'm not prepared to stick in a needle to find its rusty and coated in liquid cardamine.”
"Call it a trust challenge. Could ruin your body. Could help you in the long run. I like playing games, dear. Cute innocent little me. Someone you could overpower easily. I'm gonna stand firm on that 'cute' part, by the way.

My claim however, is it's merely data. It's not gonna change who you are. Merely something for you to 'see' - And perhaps help you find out what you have to do. Completely optional. Ivy's idea, actually. You're allowed to merely break it in two. - Doing good isn't the full goal here. It's to stop doing things in a negative form. A bit harder, huh. Allow us to play watcher. Granted we've already been doing that for a while now."

There are quiet footsteps. Rachel appearing back in the doorway. Her arms crossed, eyeing him carefully. "..."
"Ivy...? All the more curious now..." He slowly inserts the chip into the slot. placing it securely within the slot. "Now keeping watch, straight through my optics? Like... All the time? I don't mind but, there's a few things I like to keep private." He looks at Rachel at the doorway, he closes his eyes for a moment looking down while slowly nodding. Before taking a small breath before looking at her. "Thanks for this... Something else you need?"
"Jeez, why are you so.. Paranoid about things? It's a text file. With a few pictures. Wonderful way to take all of the fun out of it." Groaning quietly. Wondering why he was being a bit uptight now, of all times.

"I can't be assed to stalk you, i've got better things to do. I think you're missing the gist of why i'm talking to you in the first place. I don't want to restrict you, i'd rather not follow you, I just want you to get your damn act together, and work for the better, instead of the stupid life you've been living to date. That's all I want. Open up and be a bit receptive, instead of trying to twist yourself into being the victim."

Rachel draws her hand from her pocket, holding up the AI core.
"I'll give it to you, under one condition. Pass the kid test."
Pages: 1 2