Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Winters is Coming...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Winters, Leonard Lionel. Requesting permission to land." He spoke into the comm as he throttled down outside the docking ring.

"Roger that, Winters. You are clear to pass through the ring as soon as the arms are fully retracted. Welcome home."

Lenny twisted a small knob on his console, bathing his Liberator in the pulsating glow of his hazard lights as he began his landing sequence. Once through the docking ring, he began filtering through the various flight zones until he neared his destination. He landed on one of Brooklyn's public flight decks and swiped his identification to deduct the cost of moorage fees from his account. It was several blocks from the public pad to his apartment but he enjoyed the chance to stretch after the flight time he'd put in, even if he did have to shrug off the bums and keep an eye out around one or two corners.

Off the sidewalk and up to the third story of a dull grey building, he punched in the code to his door and stepped inside. There was no one in the living room, but the sound of music and the smell of cooking greeted him and he smiled.

"Ma, I'm home." Leonard called, removing his jacket and hanging it on a rack by the door. He crossed the living room and entered the kitchen, where she was stirring something in a large metal bowl.

"I wasn't expecting you until later. I thought you were taking on another route tonight?" She smiled and turned her back to empty the bowl and continue her work.

"I was, but I don't think I'm gonna be doing that any more." He said. He opened his mouth to continue, but Anne Marie Winters was about-faced and cutting him off before he could.

"What did you do?" She said, leveling a spoon at his chest, "Didn't I tell you that attitude of yours was going to get you into trouble?"

"Ma, it's not like that. I just..." He tried to say.

"No, it's never like that. It's always something with you, Leonard!" She interrupted, still looking at him down the edge of her mixing spoon.

"If you would just listen, I'm trying to tell you..." Lenny began to grow louder.

"Yeah, you tell me. You tell me what your excuse is this time." Anne increased her volume as well.

"I got a new job, ma. That's what I've been trying to say." He finally got out.

"You didn't go to work for your uncle, did you? I swear to God..." His mother's expression hardened, and her spoon remained fixed between them. For a moment, Leonard thought she might hit him with it.

"Ma, no. Just calm down. Put that thing away and listen to me for a second." He snatched at the spoon, but her grip held for a moment before she relinquished it. Lenny continued, "I'm not flying independent anymore, this is a corporate thing. Wisp Innovations, it's a Cryer division."

"This is about your father..." Anne said, the hard expression leaving her face. She reached her arms out and her son met her in an embrace, "I know you feel responsible, but he made his choices and it's best we just let it go."

"It's just shipping, the same as I do now, but this way the pay is better and I'll actually be hauling something important. I'll be helping people." He withdrew and took a step back.

"If you think this is what's right for you, then I'm happy for you." She smiled weakly and patted his shoulders.

"Thank you. That's all I'm asking for. This is good news, ma. We're gonna be better off all around." He nodded to her and smiled.

"Good, good... Just look me in the eye and tell me this isn't about revenge, Leonard." Anne said.

"It's not about revenge, ma." He lied.