Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Making snubs more appealing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(12-15-2015, 07:15 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I mean, worst case scenario, do these changes, host a test server and let people go in and frak around a little to see how it would work.

+1
(12-15-2015, 07:15 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]You know why I do not fly snubs? Because
you're a newb and have no idea how to use them. Snubs is the thing that makes FL so special compared to other space games.
Those GB buffs implemented since .87 were like some sort of a huge counter to all snubs, like a great newb shield. Stay behind your favourite PoB, spam double missiles which are hardly counterable by CMs, spam razors/cerbs/whatever like a cattle with auto-aim.
I'd take a look into eyes of that dev who figured all that **** out. Why do you make snub life even harder? Why do you let noobs hide behind thick walls of armour that easily? Why do you buff PoB turrets that hard? Are you sane? Stop ruining this ruined mod already.
OMGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

>double missiles
Since when is that possible? Oh right, you do not even play the mod anymore to know what was changed over the last half a year, have you. ))

And no, why should I invest time in learning to fly a dinky 2mil worth scrub ship if I have the money to fly something bigger and better and that doesn't die to some guy who uses camera ini edits and whatever turnrate/sur cheats people who fly snubs use these days.

You tell me.
(12-15-2015, 10:32 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]OMGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

>double missiles
Since when is that possible?

I remember having that in .85 Big Grin

Back on topic, I actually like Spazzys idea about playing around with shields and hull points a bit. Cause basically, caps are tin cans which couldn't be that hard to kill, once its shields are gone, cause basically anything bigger than a foam dart could do some damage to it . ( Okay, I insist, bigger than a ridicolously big foam dart, but still ), While fighters can't really rely much on shields, due to not being able to carry a fusion powered reactor on the back seat to keep the shield running for ever.

So +1 on Spazzy thistime.
I find the balance as good as it is tbh. Snub damage on caps is fine.
But catching a nuke mine is very punishing.Ofc you can easily counter mines if you see your opponent spamming them , but still , a nuke mine can take your whole hp away. I would live to see mine damage being reduced but making them easier to land so you will still suffer if you be careless against mines but not that much as it is right now.
Also I think fighter missiles should be a little damage buffed but should be countered easier , so timing gets more important.

I am speaking as a scrub here. All I can play with are bombers, I am not going to practice all the aim stuff , so I keep a sidewinder on all my snubs. As discussed in previous pages , missiles can be made more newbie friendly imo.

In a group fight , such as the recent event , I didn't see a balancing problem out there , except gunboats are extremely op. Well , let's not say gunboats but Cerberus turrets. Because when they use other weapons , you will have a small time to quickly reflex and run away , but with cerberuses you find yourself burning in a matter if seconds.
i guess snubs are too skill based then all others,a skilled bomber can kill fighters quite easy and work good enough against other classes too

so..

Why not make bombers...bombers? remove their weapons and add 4 torpedo launchers with a couple of variety such as, normal torpedos(4 of them hitting will do same damage as a nova torpedo),emp torpedoes 2 of them will hit for 100k total but use all the energy and for hull the same as emp ones
*keeping the rocket launchers could still work
(12-15-2015, 07:15 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Snubs, on the other hand, can get their hull boosted, but shield reduced to current LF levels. This would allow us to move away from instakill hull weapons such as the SN and razors, and instead force people to specialize a little.

I mean, worst case scenario, do these changes, host a test server and let people go in and frak around a little to see how it would work.

Having a non-existent shield wouldn't be something I'd call fun. I wasn't exactly around the .85 times and lower, but snub combat is pretty polished as it is right now. So what if you have to be careful to not 'die instantly'? Snubs are fast enough for you to dodge that random nuke that's coming your way and there's always CMs to trick that Cruiser Missile into ruining someone else's day.

You try to kill a Liberator/Hayabusa/Wyrm in anything that's not a Gunboat/Cruiser/Battleship(by the process of the Light Fighter getting bored and leaving in half a minute) without hoping to the Sky Gods that the pilot would mess up and kiss your nuke.
Because it's not going to happen if you're not a god at aiming. Hell, it rarely happens even with nukes if the LF pilot is goddamn careful.

(12-15-2015, 07:15 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I mean, worst case scenario, do these changes, host a test server and let people go in and frak around a little to see how it would work.

Or they could make a back-up of the server as it is now and dump a lot of new changes (for example: your LF Shield/Boost HP idea) on the official server for one week and see how it goes. If the people like the new things/at least some of the stuff that was added, they can add those things only when reverting back to the original server. I'm not sure if this is even possible but it makes sense in my head. Since this mod was made for the players, what better test subjects than - well - the players?

Edit:

(12-15-2015, 07:15 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]And no, why should I invest time in learning to fly a dinky 2mil worth scrub ship if I have the money to fly something bigger and better and that doesn't die to some guy who uses camera ini edits and whatever turnrate/sur cheats people who fly snubs use these days.

You tell me.

I just saw that.
I really wonder what you're talking about because even when I was playing - again, only snubs - I never really encountered any of those people that edit camera.ini files and/or use turnrate and sur cheats. : O

You're probably just throwing that excuse because even the random Sabre with an AU1 and half a flashpoint can transform your dusty snub into a fiery ball of flame in approximately half a rat's ass worth of time.

Unless the cheater-person is using some mega-speed hack or something or intentionally making himself jitter like a madman, it's still possible to blue him/her/whatever kind of powerful demon is behind that keyboard.
Just use the famous tactic of dropping one nuke and instantly destroying their whole life in one second, because that's what happens all the time. Completely unavoidable. Always hits. 100%. All the time. Yeah. It's cool. Seriously, it works. Try it now for 9.99$.

Yeah, no.
(12-15-2015, 11:41 AM)Hannibal Wrote: [ -> ]i guess snubs are too skill based then all others,a skilled bomber can kill fighters quite easy and work good enough against other classes too

so..

Why not make bombers...bombers? remove their weapons and add 4 torpedo launchers with a couple of variety such as, normal torpedos(4 of them hitting will do same damage as a nova torpedo),emp torpedoes 2 of them will hit for 100k total but use all the energy and for hull the same as emp ones
*keeping the rocket launchers could still work

Yeah, remove their guns and give them more torpedo slots + maybe a hull boost.

I'm also for hosting a trial server or backuping and checking it there.

So +1 here
Changing the hull/shield ratio is dumb. You make snubs even more sensitive to caps 1shotting them- which is probably what you want anyway despite that you said it's the biggest problem, sindroms. The complaints about cheaters are unbelivably dumb and a terrible excuse. You couldn't notice if someone cheats for the life of you.

Snubs are balanced and fine. Caps just outclass them in every single regard, there's no advantage to having fighters when you can have gunboats cruisers and battleships. You need to outnumber caps with bombers gathering 4-5 to actually be able to fight caps, which isn't realistic with the current metagame, that consists on logging as many caps as possible, and most often ends when the caps realize they can just chase them 1 by 1 and razor keep them from doing damage/ instakilling them cerbs/razors.

"Snub fights last too long" -> How many threads have been made about caps wanting exactly that situation on their fights, complaining they're too short. Snub pvp doesn't take long, people being trash and hiding behind npcs does.
(12-15-2015, 01:06 PM)Yber Wrote: [ -> ]"Snub fights last too long" -> How many threads have been made about caps wanting exactly that situation on their fights, complaining they're too short. Snub pvp doesn't take long, people being trash and hiding behind npcs does.

This.

Omg this made my day +1
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10