Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Dark Cycle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Counter-Terrorist Initiative Headquarters, Capital City, Neu Berlin.
15/09/822 A.S

The Capital was quiet. It usually was, at this time of year. It was emerging from the dark cycle, and people waited in anticipation for the sun to shine once again on the planet. Below, on the lightly snowed streets, people bustled in large winter coats, dragging bags or children behind them. During the dark cycle, people tended to get a little... mad. Reported cases of homicide, robbery and vandalism increased dramatically. But it wasn't just the citizens that had a tenacity to lose their minds, it was the ones who defended the Republic that seemed to tip the most.

Could I ever blame them? No. I've worked with the Polizei, and the MND, for a while. To them, life is always in a dark cycle, always shrouded in some form of uncertainty or mystery. Admittedly, in most cases that works in their favor. The CTI, the Counter-Terrorist Initiative, is ruthless at detective work and uncovering enemies of the state. Their obsession with their work transcends passion and delves deep into the heart of insanity, as they exhaust themselves studying every detail of every instance of evidence, in some from of sick romance with security. Always in a dark cycle, I conclude. The large sliding metal doors behind me opened with a swish, and I heard light footsteps approach.

"Brandt," she said "they'll see you now."

The CTI is no ordinary charter into anti-revolutionary action. Its directors and heads are made up of the finest minds of the MND and police state departments. They have branches upon branches of operatives and assets that they can throw away if needed. They're merciless, as many agents will tell you, as they recall the instances where targets were executed before even the slightest interrogation could occur. They have power, and they aren't afraid to use it in order to make a demonstration of themselves. How lucky I must be, I think, to be working with such a wonderful organization.

I enter the large meeting room. Four of them sat at a table, which was the only illuminated object in the room. Behind them, in the inky darkness, I saw the gentle movements of other people, watching and listening. I took a seat as they slid the folder of neatly aligned, stamped and organized documents across the steel table, and into my hands. I flicked through them as they spoke.

"As we have suspected, the HVEB have been lobbying more support from the middle class of..." The HVEB are a Hamburg political group, or something like that. They appeal to corporate figure heads and the financially rich to move against the government. The brief outlined that they've been trying to install a "terrorist sympathetic politician", alongside using populist support to incite riots and unlawful behaviors. The briefs were always one sided, I've found. Always paints the other side as the definite villain, never exposes their humanity.

"...they've been trying to cover their tracks, yet the work is amateur. They've been leaving bread crumbs where ever they go..." Amateur work. There was a certain sting to the way the threatening intelligence officer said that. Of course they mean its child's play, they don't expect much from what is essentially a lobbyist group. I suppose that's a side effect from the dark cycle, everyone else always appears to be inferior, except yourself.

"...we've traced down their support to the 8th Sector of Harburg city. We have reason to believe that the density of the amount those sympathetic to their cause is far higher in Sector 8 than anywhere else in Hamburg." I smirked to myself. 'We have reason to believe' was jargon for 'we're totally speculating here, but there appears to be a mild correlation between these two factors.'

"We're moving you to Sector 8 immediately. We need you on call and ready to act at a minute's notice once we uncover the suspects." Another side effect of being caught in a perpetual dark cycle is that people become paranoid. They want the target dealt with, since their existence is a threat to the Republic, or something like that. Once they find this person's identity, they want them neutralized at the click of the fingers.

I listened a while longer, while they outlined the middle class flat I'd be moved into. I signed the acceptance of the brief (I doubt they'd let me leave without it), and I was off. Out the door and on my way to Harburg City.

Sector 8, Harburg City, Planet Hamburg.
04/10/822 A.S

19 days had passed since I first stepped onto the icy city, and stared at it's tall, looming towers, that gently brushed the sky. Harburg City was really something else. While most cities kept to a horizontal axis when expanding, Harburg flipped that idea upwards. The entirety of the urban landscape consisted of pillars that shot up into the sky, connected through a pedestrian highway of walkways and hovering platforms. Atop the skyscrapers were heating systems that guaranteed the richer patrons of the top were warm and cozy in their luxurious spas and king sized beds, while those who lived in the slums below defaulted on wrapping themselves up in thin blankets, while gathered around a dying fireplace. I tried not to think too hard about the bottom slums. I wasn't being paid to evaluate someone's life, I was being paid to end one.

As the days passed from within my comfortable flat, I almost started to fit in with the citizens. I began to recognize their faces down the hallways, in the ration stores and down the narrow alleyway streets. I was alarmed by this, as the notion of assassination had never left my mind, it now only brewed larger as I recognized that I might have to silence someone that I know, or that knows me. Could I bare to see them squirm as their skin turned pale, their eyes gently fading and blood draining from their body and onto my hands, so that I may arise baptized in the blood of murder? I shook the thought away, I wasn't going to be caught in the dark cycle, I repeated to myself.

I swiped my neural-net card at the door. With a satisfying beep and click, I pushed the door open. Home sweet home, I thought. My watch buzzed. A message, simply titled "Job" and from the "CTI". I gulped, they had found the target.

Cristofer Breisacher was a part of the richer society of Harburg. He owned a manor, and a servant that attended to it too. I flashed quickly through the images headquarters had provided to me of the interior of his home, as I hastily strapped my boots to my feet. The manor was extravagant, with polished wooden floors, mahogany tables and burgundy chairs. It was probably warm too, I thought.

Then I was out into the streets in the sky, walking past people at a fast pace, then lightly jogging once they had left my sight. I began to ascend on a platform, then I zig-zagged across the maze of pillars, walkways and people, until I had finally reached the Breisacher Manor. I approached the front door, and knocked. Discretion wasn't totally endorsed for enemies of the state. They were to be made an example of.

The door opened. I pulled the taser. The butler fell to the ground. "Servant down, investigating scene."

"Be thorough." The response came. I was. I flipped the mahogany table, checking for carvings under neath. Various vases and ornaments in the doorway were thrown to the floor, in case they held important information. I kicked out the legs of the chairs, just for a little fun. I heard the door open.

"Joachim? I'm home. Joachim?" came the voice. Target identified. He moved through into the dining room, and continued calling. "Joachim?" I closed in from behind as he admired the mess I had made of his house. I pulled my silenced pistol, aimed it to his head. I hesitated. He began to turn back towards the exit and in a moment of anxiously fueled action, I pulled the trigger. He fell to the ground.

"Target neutralized." I said, rising to a standing position and glaring at Chisofer's body.

I laid out the evidence on the kitchen bench. A datapad, a weapon, a handful of files from an office and pictures frames, with images of his family on them.I slid them all into the black bag and headed for the exit. On my way, I snatched the keys off of Joachim, who was now awake, yet tied to a support beam and targeted for police pick up.

A quick run over the datapad proved it to be a gold mine for evidence. A large amount of information, contacts and data had recently been exported to a character named "Jane". I was going to get paid, I thought, I was going to get out this city, and I was going to escape the dark cycle.

Brandt's Flat, Sector 8, Harburg City, Planet Hamburg.
07/10/822 A.S

I had to hand it to them, the CTI were efficient. Cristofer was killed a mere three days ago, and already command had reassigned my position. They were chipping away at the datapad and the servant, Joachim, day and night. The most recent development was that the datapad had been accessed not long before the owner's death, and some contacts had been highlighted for investigation. Progress was slow, due to heavy encryption on the datapad. That wasn't stopping the CTI though, they were furiously digging through encryption code and data, combing out the fine information. I was stuck in Harburg though on extended stay until they can dig up another HVEB operative to assassinate.

This brought me no ease. Now, the scope of potential villains had been expanded and I saw my neighbors and acquaintances with suspicion and anxiety. All of them were suspects. All of them could have been conspirators. I didn't know it at this point, but I was slipping into the dark cycle. Paranoia was the first sign, seeing everyone else as a threat. Should have been smarter. Should have been able to see past that.

Mind you, that was only two days in. It got worse. Fast.

On the second day of my extended stay, I was tasked out to one of the contacts we'd decrypted. A nurse, 36 years. Knew Cristofer as a college friend, apparently. The news had spun his death as an armed homicide, I was Detective Kohlberg for the Harburg Detective Service. His sudden homicide alerted the service, since violence was on a slight decline in the city, and this spontaneous death was a shock to the law.

Down the winding, grey streets, up the vertical towers, crossing pathways, riding elevators and climbing stairs. Sometimes, Sector 8 felt like a maze, never being able to traverse on one plane, but always being forced to pass across many. The chilling cold never helped either. The pricking of the wind on my skin was the looming sense of darkness, the cycle trying to consume me. I reached her house. Knocked on the door, she opened.

"Detective Kohlberg for the Harburg Detective Service. May I come in?"

I made my way to the couch while she fetched a photo album. She lived humbly, in comparison to Cristofer. A worn carpet dressed the floor, her table was made of simple oak, and instead of fine porcelain ornaments, she had photos of family and friends. On her dining table, she sat a clean, pressed nurses uniform. Always on call, I thought.

She sat down, placing the album in front of me. I wondered why the photos were printed, and not digital, but I looked around the modest room again, and figured it out for myself.

"Cristofer and I went to college together. He majored in economics, I minored in it." She spoke, and I took notes. "He was enthralled in it. Every graph, every equation, just won him over." She herself seemed charmed by him, he was hypnotic to her. I almost felt bad.

"Economics? What did he do with that after college?"

"Opened his own manufacturing branch. Had success with it too. More success with his economics than I did. She smirked as she nodded to the uniform on the table. I took note. Naturally, the HBEV would target someone like Cristofer: an economically minded character with his own money to burn. He was too good to pass up. I asked about that elusive name, that didn't sit right on my tongue: Jane.

"Did you know a Jane at all?" She squirmed uncomfortably.

"My sister, but, he didn't really know my family." She glanced away, then back at me. "Sorry, but what do these questions have to do with his death?" I frowned. This Jane almost seemed like an illusion to her. Someone not entirely there. I took note, then spoke.

"We have reason to believe that he may have been affiliated with criminal activity from his college days." She seemed shocked. I thanked her for her help, said my goodbye and left. I pulled the 'we have reason to believe' jargon. Should have seen it then. Should have seen the dark cycle. Maybe I couldn't see it because it had already consumed me. I don't know.

I wondered back into my flat. Sat down. Another ping from my watch. To my amusement, a list of candidates appeared before my eyes. It dragged on, and on, and on. There was a note at the bottom:

"Be quick. We need this done as soon as possible."

The curtain stunk. Not badly, at least not as much as most of the block this flat was located in, but it still stuck in her nose like a nasty flu. It obscured her enough, however, to hide her dark figure in the shadowed corner while the detective questioned Cristofer's former friend - a task for which she had been here, at least when she arrived. Now however...

"Did you know a Jane at all?"

The situation had changed. Heavily. Up until now, the detective had been asking normal questions. Where she knew him from, contacts, et cetera. But that one question through her off. They knew about Jane. They knew she was on the planet.

In the fraction of a second, she evaluated her options. Kill them both? Possible, but risky. Would throw up too much dirt and possibly make the mission impossible. Vanish through the backdoor? Easy, swift, but that way she'd not know what that detective knew. Wait until he leaves, then kill her? Most promising option. No witnesses, make it look like gang criminality on her return and right now would give the highest chance of pursuing the man that threatened her life and mission. Right, the plan was there. She now just needed to wait until he left, and then...

"Goodbye, and thank you for your cooperation. We might come back to you soon."

Right. She forced herself to breathe, wait another moment, then pulled the trigger of her gun. A barely audible humming, then a flash. The nurse that served her tea a few minutes ago sunk to the ground without a sound, and Nika briefly registered the way she lay on the table, having knocked over only one cup of tea. The adrenaline kicked in, suddenly everything was important, details of the wallpaper (flowers, mustered in small caros), the type of tea (mint) the color of the carpet (worn blue)... Nika searched the body for a key, found it, locked the apartment behind her. She just saw the Detective go around the corner. Luck or skill, it didn't matter. Now to shadow him.

Wrapping the black scarf around her mouth and nose, letting the shadow of her cap do the rest, she dived into the masses, hiding in plain sight. She was one with the organism, part of it. At least for now. A dormant c.ancer cell, on the hunt for the leucocyte that threatened to find out what she really was. She'd manage. Just would have to rely on her training, and then she'd be fine.
I thought back on what I asked. I concluded that I wasn't subtle, I was rash and blunt. You're definitely not a detective, Brandt, I thought. At this point, looking over the list before me, I wanted to drop the mission. I wasn't a detective, I shot people. I felt out of place, trying to charm people into letting me see their deepest memories of the man I killed.

"Let someone else do this job." I murmured, tiredly. I looked at the list. Professors, Doctors, CEOs, Landlords. All of them were high class income earners. I had to give it to him, Cristofer was connected, and I was not. I scanned through the names, looking for someone within my vicinity. I caught one, a war veteran a few blocks from Cristofer's home. According to the files, he was an aged solider from the war on Liberty. I didn't bother to check the relation to the victim, I wasn't going to stay long. War Veterans weren't the type to backstab the government that paid their bills and fed them food. Just one off the list, I thought, throw those CTI dogs a bone.

I threw on a coat, it was black on the outside, but was layered with a synthetic wool on the inside to give it warm. Plus, it had far more pocket space. I set out the door, then onto the streets. It was colder than before, the snow storms were beginning to set in. I pulled down my sleeves, then folded my arms over. I only remember the chill of the weather and anger of my job. It was like someone flicked on autopilot as I took a familiar route lacing through the city, strolling past the manor, now decorated in police tape. I glanced at the front door, police officers and detectives wore stark white rubber gloves and coats to match, they were brushing over the scene with the best acting skills I had seen to date. I smirked, and kept walking.

"Flat #381, Held Building." I muttered. I knocked. Third time I've had to knock in a single mission. That's a record, I thought. The door opened, he greeted me. I introduced myself, he let me in.

"Mr Hopfner," I started, drearily "I'm here to ask about a friend's death, Cristofer Breisacher." I explained the situation, said that we were looking for any information about Breisacher's private life, or a suspected Jane, who is believed to be his murderer. That was far more believable, I thought, yet I could have had a better tone. He nodded as I spoke, listening attentively. He answered to the best of his ability, reiterating what we already knew. Said he'd never heard of a murderous Jane, then apologized.

"No, thankyou, Mr Hopfner. Your service here has been invaluable." I glanced out the window and watched the darkening clouds, signalling the hailstorm. "I must go now, though, wouldn't want to get caught by that storm." I stood up, thanked him for his help again, then said goodbye and went out the door.

I strolled out into the streets, the snow was getting heavier, but I took a moment to take a seat on a metal bench. It was strange how one simple murder complicated itself into a full-blown investigation against the HVEB. I wasn't even interested in the HVEB. Not the Bundschuh, not the CTI. I just wanted to live comfortably, but that seemed impossible when my hands felt coated in a thick shade of red.

"What am I doing here?" I asked the freezing sky, to which it responded with a hailstone the size of a pebble. I got up, and made my hasty way back to my flat. Even the city wanted me to move on. I shoved my hands deep into my pockets, lowered my head. I yawned, I was tired. Maybe it's time I hung up the hat, I thought.

That's preposterous, came the reply.
The cold breeze was barely noticeable in the mass of people around her. Masses upon masses of people just swarming over the catwalks, turning it into a slowly flowing river of obscured faces.
Her target had visited his assumed home and stepped out of it rather quickly. No lengthy observation necessary, and that was a good thing. Nika had a plan, and that plan would only work if she acted quickly, and, ideally, before the adrenaline rush ended. Meaning right now. He was standing at a balcony, staring out in the sky. Remembering his name from the sign at his apartment by heart, she stepped right behind him, pressing the guns cold plastic in his back. No other contact was made, and the coat made sure that nobody else saw the gun... Not that anyone would have cared in this mess of faceless, emotionless drones only working for their own, small goals.

The grip of her gun filled her with determination, and the voice that left her lips was as cold as the air around them.

"Good question... What are you doing, Herr Brandt?"
Have you ever had a gun pressed into your back? I have, many times. In every instance, snipers were parked a short few meters above, ready to have the threat dropped. But this was different, I was on my own, alone with a feminine voice, the incoming hailstorm and a gun. Something changed inside of me. Harburg was a strange city, during my stay, I had descended into that dark cycle. I saw it then, when my life was on the line. Strange feeling, having everything you stood for turned upside and thrown around. Disorientated, I raised my hands into the cold air, surrendered.

I've been followed, I realized, a moment or so too late, as the voice had answered my question with another question. They train you for this situation. But I wanted out of that. I wanted out of the cycle, out of this state of mind.

"G-going home to my flat."

I breathed in the cold, bitter air, strangely upset that it might be my last.
No grin appeared on her face. No satisfaction was to be found in the fear that she just instilled in the man before her. Focus and discipline. Do never show emotions. You're the one in control. That's what her training said. But again...

She fought down the doubts. Damn, the rush ended quickly. Composing herself, glad that her now-prisoner could not see her face or body, she continued using the same, icy voice.

"I like this idea. I believe you have invited me too, haven't you?"

It wasn't supposed to be funny or humourous, no, it was playing a role. She pretended to be that cold-hearted bastard that just ran around killing people. A mask, like so many before. And after a few seconds, this mask fitted her perfectly, and rather than pretending to be, she became that person. Deep inside, she hid herself from the monster she just unleashed.
Well, I thought, I never suspected this. How could have one job been so messy?

She was threatening, I gave her that. But I wanted freedom, and if she was who I thought she was, then I had to get it from her. I was desperate.

"O-of course. Right this way, Miss."

Instead of my usual free walk around Harburg, I was direct. No lacing and twirling my path down walkways and elevators, straight home, no stalling, no wrong corners. They teach you that. Never negotiate with terrorists. I assumed she was one of them, but I had to play my game right. We approached the flat, I cautiously grabbed my card, held it to the door, then dropped it to the ground.

"Come in, please. Take the card too. Did you want a drink? The kettle's boiled." I laughed nervously and waited, anxiously.
"Can't hurt. Open it, it's cold here, if you haven't noticed."

Nika poked the gun a little harder in her prisoner's back. There should be no doubt about who was in charge here.

A last check on the surroundings. No one was looking their way, for them the two were just another couple wanting to flee the rain. Or a hooker and her customer. Or something like that. With that last look to Harburg's sky, she also breathed heavily one last time. She'd have no time composing herself in there, no chances to look away. One last breath. Then she turned to the opening door. Cold as ice. Hard as steel. He thought her a coldhearted terrorist. She decided to give him exactly that.
"Welcome to the homestead" I said, awkwardly. "I said the kettle's boiled, but I doubt you'd let me go by myself." A forced laugh was a nice touch. "I've been located here recently, so I apologize for the lack of, well..." I led my eyes around the room "..things." I approached my chair, cushioned and a bland shade of egg shell white. I sat down, hands in the air. I faced my captor, and my eventual liberator.

"Now, not to be too forward, but I doubt you dragged me off the streets for no apparent reason. What do I have that you need?"
Pages: 1 2