Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Excavators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

System: Omicron Delta
Date: 10/04/823
Time: 12:34

*Clink*

Lars Vann exhaled heavily, before he wiped his forehead with a spotless napkin. The Nauru sun was cruel and unrelenting; the harsh heat caused sweat to accumulate on his brow. After finishing with the napkin, he placed it into the pocket of his khaki shirt. He leant down to tie the shoelaces of his brown boots, his nobly white knees being exposed to the sun as his khaki shorts rose. Once done he lifted his body upwards, arching his back before bringing his shoulders forward. He turned his head towards the excavation site - a large, but grim looking pit filled with diggers, robotic excavators, sand and sandstone. Large wooden supports, stairs and ladders outlined the pit. Upon closer inspection, the majority of the workers did not look well nourished. Upon even further inspection, some were even outfitted with metallic collars locked around their necks.

*Clink*

"I've got something! I've got something! “One of the workers cried as he threw his shovel aside and began to claw at the sandstone with his hands.
The other diggers averted their gaze towards him, all watching in wonder as he feverishly removed the loose stone. Several more diggers came forward to assist with removing the rubble. Soon, ensembles of hands were excitedly working away at the rock, desperately digging towards whatever secrets may lay behind it.

Lars descended quickly into the excavation site via one of the ladders. Pushing some of the workers aside, he proceeded towards the reason for all the commotion.
"What is it? What is the reason for all this noise?" he inquired.
"Dr. Vann-" said the dust-ridden worker whom had caused the clink "Whilst I was digging I heard a noise! And after removing more of the rock look at what we found!" he pointed excitedly to a large-sized opening in the rock. "Did I do a good job Doctor?" he asked happily, however Lars's attention was elsewhere.
Leaning closer to the opening, Lars's hands began to tremble with adrenaline. "This... this is amazing..." he said softly, his voice trailing off.

The workers gazed back at the opening once more. A silvery-white hatch engraved with alien markings stood out in-between the dirt. Lars brushed his hand across its surface. And as he did it, the engravings glowed with a cyan luminescence.