Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Question about liberty acts as pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
That is a common occurance really. You were seen with contraband and docked before they could stop you properly. When you came out they fined you and you clearly refused.
Perfectly in RP for them to use past evidence to fine, and if you refuse - destroy, you.
' Wrote:i was contrabading earlier. my point is if i m not carrying nothing illegal at the time should they fine and destroy me? they dont need material evidences besides their word? see what i mean?

Well, if they have the evidence from your breaking the law earlier - then it's a case of you were avoiding the law previously, so it's not bad RP, it's a case of delayed punishment.

If you'd stopped earlier and paid the fine, then it's bad RP. If you ran like so many do, then it's a case of they probably has a s/s of your cargo hold filled with contraband and under Liberty law, you set your punishment as destruction.

In other words, if you're going to break Liberty law, don't get caught later and expect leniency - you'll get none.
its all a matter of action and concequences. - when you smuggle, you must live with the consequences. - when you have been caught with a cargo full of whatsnames - you are marked down as a smuggler and labelled a persona non grata.

take it as if it was a massive faction hit with the player. - when you shoot the depot of a faction, they will hate you, even next time you get near the depot and do not shoot it. ( or at least - dislike you a bit more than before ) - untill you PROVE that you re doing them a favour again.

now, 7k range or not is irrelevant for that matter - if you had been caught smuggling before, and you have NOT made up for that - you will be considered a criminal. ( that is - if there was indeed suspicioun. - but when a cop asks you to "halt" and you keep on flying and even docking.... it raises suspicioun - even if he wasn t in scanner range, you know ... for that matter - its good to keep escaping when a pirate asks you to stop ( if you have a chance to escape at least ) - but if a policeman asks you to stop ... you stop ( cause of course you have nothing to hide ) - but if you DO have something to hide - you can keep flying - but then, the cop can make the logical conclusion that you had something to hide, hence he can assume that you have done something that violated the law )

' Wrote:i was contrabading earlier. my point is if i m not carrying nothing illegal at the time should they fine and destroy me? they dont need material evidences besides their word? see what i mean?

What i understand from reading this thread is....

Grail, you were sighted bringing in Contraband.
You docked, sold it, and launched with... Either nothing, or Legal goods...
Now, because you were caught and scanned (If the Liberty Lawful screenshotted you with contraband as proof)
It was in his/her right to enforce the law and ask that you pay the fine.
However, you refused to pay it and the ship opened fire on you.

If you would like, PM me the name of the ship that attacked you, and I'll ask him if he has a cargo scan as proof.

edit: I have a small list of ships iv been adding to as i sight them. If they escape and refuse to pay their smuggling fine, i stop them the next time they are sighted and charge them the outstanding fine.
Also note that, according to the current laws of Liberty, bringing in any non-passenger (or VIP) cargo from Rhineland is considered smuggling. But on such occasions they're supposed to ask you to drop the cargo and continue into Liberty, or turn around and go back to Rhineland... But if you dock and sell the cargo, they'll fine you, heavily.
So in criminal cort the assumption of guilt isnt enough. there are material evidence to proof guilt. If they cannot stop the contraband tehy shouldnt be cops. but well.........i still think they are pirates undercover......
but i got the idea.
sorry the bother and thanks for the replies.
:

its game mechanics - the cops can ask you to STOP - and you can still dock with a planet, even if RP would let you not dock there. ( keep in mind, a transport hardly lands in an abandoned place on a planet - it is mooring at the docking rings... .)

so - its a bit rich to say "if the cops cannot catch me..." - cause they have no CHANCE to stop you if you don t play along ( playing along = RPing a smuggler / police encounter )

there is nothing the police can do about it, nothing at all if the smugglers do not comply. - they cannot stage a trial like RL, they cannot imprison you - they can only hope you play along or execute an attack.

so, yes - in the ways they are limited being police - they are close to being pirates... but while in a pirate encounter, the initiative lays within the hands of the pirates - in a police encounter, the initiative lays in the hands of the smuggler.
-------INCOMING TRANSMISSION-------

to: Liberty Police Inc. Staff
subject: Protection

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce myself: I am Sir William Almstead, well respected Bretonian citizen, and lawyer of Cecil Harvey. The reason of my message is the protection of Mr. Harvey, who lost his ship in the incident. After the destruction of his compainoin's vessel, LSF and LPI officers demanded reparations from him, as an excuse, they told him that he was smuggling contraband to Plante Houston. However, Mr. Harvey told them, that his cargo was actually from Atka researchers working for Cryer Pharmaceuticals, and the cargo was Cryer property. He had no idea about the container's real cargo, so he mentioned to his protection the semi-secret research based on cardamine by Cryer Pharmaceuticals. As we know, Cryer Pharmaceuticals has the Wrangel Research Laboratory at Houston. Mr. Harvey then directed the Liberty officers toward Cryer staff, but they still demanded reparations directly from him. He offered no resistance, and demanded to contact me, his lawyer, at least 8 times. They refused to bring up the evidence and contacting me //In the case I would acted in rp starting lines with "W. Almstead:"//, they told him that the evidence was right before him, still sent him no datalink for Neural Net page //=Forum//. When the Liberty authorities fired at him, he quickly activated his ship's self destruction, and escaped in a lifepod, to not face certain death.

I'd like to state that the Liberty authorities did not contacted the Bretonian Embassy about the incident, Bretonian citizen almost died today.

Yours sincerely: Sir William Almstead, lawyer of Cecil Harvey.

-------TRANSMISSION END-------

//Brother, sorry for using your account to post this - To others: my account is Greendragon, we use the same computer, I forgot to log him out, my apologies to all.//
hmmmmm well this is an intresting case.....
MY THANKS TO TINKERBEL FOR SETTING THINGS STRAIGHT BY THE WAY.

im siding with the....uh.....oppisite side of grail....

' Wrote://Brother, sorry for using your account to post this - To others: my account is Greendragon, we use the same computer, I forgot to log him out, my apologies to all.//

Well, I think I should open my eyes next time, or both our accounts would be banned for misunderstanding. Sorry, kid, sorry guys. Contact me on this account.

Heh, now I finally know his account. At least I could oorp kill him for fun:lol:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5