Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Laaaaaaaaaggggg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
About the rebuying of a L-train, you have to buy another ship, then launch and fly around alittle with it, otherwise you get kicked for cheating.

I found out the hard way.
Teaboy,Aug 21 2006, 01:22 PM Wrote:a) T1 is unsuitable for the task of running a popular online game server
b) you still didnt tell me what the bandwidth is
c) I'm not jumping to conclusions, I'm suggesting a possible cause and want to know the variables relating to it, but get told to sod off as its "not my business". yet it is I, and the other players who have to deal with this lag.  Now, i know we dont pay for this service, and we cannot really complain if its not perfect so i'll leave the matter after this.
d) I do not expect you to post screenshots, i expect you to say "well actually I have xxxxmbps upstream and xxxxmbps downstream".
e) your not going to tell me, so im going to sit in the corner and see what happens and what the problem is when its found.
f) I dont claim to know everything, but has a good grasp on the matters concerned, and going "i have a xxxmbps connection" is no more of a security risk than posting on this forum.
end it there, unless u want to tell me the speed, if not then thats fine, no more bickering though.
[snapback]31287[/snapback]

T1 is quite suatable for a Freelancer server, espeically since it's low-bandwith. Freelancer generates nearly 80% less bandwith than a Battlefield server dows.

b) I'm not telling *ANYONE* except the admins.

C) all the evidence points to something internal to the mod now, as I've liminted Network activity *AND* operating system (Yes, I eliminated the bandwith a long time ago, people.. I'm getting a little tired of explaining this)

For the upteenth time.. I 100% and full access to the server. I actively look *AT* the console of the server to see what's going on. THe lag is 100% ON SERVER... not the bandwith, nothing else. WHy do i know this? Reallly REALLY simple:

If server lags my router, all my computers suffer the *SAME* lag. The FL server is hosted on my local network. Otherwise, I'd never have noticed, and my router wouldn't start to throttle my connections (it's set up to do that if my pings to the ISP servers start getting bad)

Freelancer does *NOT* generate 500MBPS bandwith. If it did, I'd never host it here. Yes, Teaboy, you're right.. T1 is not suitable for *POPULAR* game servers, but you're missing a HUGE point.. you're compareing FL to Battlefield. Horrible comparison, especially when FL generates a hell of a lot less bandwith than Battlefield ever does in a split second.

THe problem has to do with something in the mod, or something with the hardware. So far, i've found no problems with the hardware, and this problem existed only with 4.80. I can almost guarantee the problem is something in 4.80 (The trains, transports thing) so lets work on that Ok ? I'm getting a little frusterated when this thread just has to continue. I know more details about this problem than the rest of you. There's a lot more to this than you guys are being let in on, and this is kind of up to us admins to work on it ok?

(Sorry, I'm in a REALLY BAD mood today.. Betwene posts here and some bureaucratic bullsh*t i've been putting up with today, I'm in no mood to put upwith anything like this).

See everyone tomorrow.
Teaboy please finish this! We are not a commercial MMORPG operator who may seek for better server hosting and pay some hundreds of $$$ monthly to maintain it. I personally don't care what bandwidth Wolfpack's server has, but I'm absolutely sure that it's no less and probably better than anyone of us may provide. Let alone the fact that Wolf provides a dedicated 2-cpu server.

Donations are unreliable, advertising won't bring much money into a middlesized community like ours, and we've got no rich sponsor who may pay for anything we need. Isn't all this obvious? We won't get WOW-class servers & hosting just because you say we need them.
i never mentioned battlefield, i hate that game, its a poorly made piece of crap - good on LAN tho

i made an estimate that freelancer probably uses at least 7-10kb/s upstream per user (and i think thats probably an underestimate by a considerable way) with 20 users on that means you need a 2mbps upstream connection (200kb/s) just to handle them sitting around, nevermind when large ammounts of npcs/other players start fighting. from what i can find, T1 is rated at 1.5mbps - enought for 15, which is about the ammount that the lag starts.

anyway, ill take your explanation, if your confident that its not bandwidth then i cannot argue further. your arguments make sense.

*server does not appear to be lagging at the moment (20people on)
:)
Igiss - i dont doubt wolfpacks bandwidth is way in excess of any of ours, but if we try and run a server on our broadband connections we will lag with 2-3 people connected. and thats why we dont :P what i didnt understand was why he wouldnt tell me what the bandwidth was.
me, i have a rubbish 512kbps downstream and 228kbps upstream, barely even able to handle playing the game, nevermind hosting it.

and the conversation has ended anyway :)
Teaboy,Aug 21 2006, 01:47 PM Wrote:i never mentioned battlefield, i hate that game, its a poorly made piece of crap - good on LAN tho

i made an estimate that freelancer probably uses at least 7-10kb/s upstream per user (and i think thats probably an underestimate by a considerable way) with 20 users on that means you need a 2mbps upstream connection (200kb/s) just to handle them sitting around, nevermind when large ammounts of npcs/other players start fighting.  from what i can find, T1 is rated at 1.5mbps - enought for 15, which is about the ammount that the lag starts.
anyway, ill take your explanation, if your confident that its not bandwidth then i cannot argue further.  your arguments make sense.

*server does not appear to be lagging at the moment (20people on)
:)
[snapback]31294[/snapback]

You grossly over-estimated it. Freelancer doesn't even use a kilobyte of upstream per user. All FL Server really does is *UPDATE* clients to locations, etc. It's not a global server like World of WarCraft or Battlefield is..

And my bandwith is *FAR MORE FLEXIBLE* than a straight off T1 ever is :)

Lag starts when we have 18 or more on the server flying the same pieces of crap. The bandwith doesn't suffer then. the server load does. THAT is the source of lag. SERVER LOAD. Not bandwith. Thank you.
less than 1kb/s?
Im not sure I can beleive anything you say ever again now.

im sorry, i will not believe that. that does require screenshots :D
:S
Teaboy,Aug 21 2006, 02:10 PM Wrote:less than 1kb/s?
Im not sure I can beleive anything you say ever again now.

im sorry, i will not believe that.  that does require screenshots :D
:S
[snapback]31299[/snapback]

I'm gonna ignore this post and pretty much anything you've said as of late, cause frankly, I'm tired of arguing this point.

Igiss, Korrd or anyone else wanna take turns at this? I'm going back to the SP missions for awhile (I'm already sick of this.)

EDIT: Okay. How about this.

If someone here can justify to me, the cost of spending approximately $300 set-up fee plus $200 a month for hosting elsewhere ON TOP of my existing $200 a month business internet set up i have here...

THEN we can talk bandwith. Frankly, We finished this arguement with DarkOddity in another thread.. I do not understand why you people are so insistent on knowing what the problem really is, when I've been doing repeat tests after test after test... and eliminating more and more of the silly commentary that you people have been throwing out. How about y'all let me, Igiss and Korrd figure this out without having to spend the time to actually respond to these almost lame threads? You want to report lag, go ahead. Just give me when, how many players on, and where you were (and what you were doing) and nothing more. THEN i can check logs and my bandwith monitor to see what's going on. Until then, stop sending me suggestions on what the problem is. No one on this forum, except Angel, Korrd, Igiss and I have console access to the server. Without that, you are missing a CRITICAL piece of the troubleshooting wheel. Without that piece, you are just throwing out possiblities that are easy to eliminate if we just check. The problem is 100% Server Load, not bandwith. I've stated this over and over and over. Please, KILL THIS THREAD NOW. I'm beyond my patience limit with this already.

Thank you.
Yea, everyone just leave Wolfie alone. He's doing a great job as it is but people do have lives and you can't expect anyone to devote his or her life to Discovery FL 24/7. Since now it is known the key issue is server load, let that be the end of the arguments.

Also, Wolf, I'm just curious to know, what are the current specs of the Disco server. I'm sure its posted elsewhere but I can't seem to find it.
Prometheus,Aug 21 2006, 09:57 PM Wrote:Yea, everyone just leave Wolfie alone. He's doing a great job as it is but people do have lives and you can't expect anyone to devote his or her life to Discovery FL 24/7. Since now it is known the key issue is server load, let that be the end of the arguments.

Also, Wolf, I'm just curious to know, what are the current specs of the Disco server. I'm sure its posted elsewhere but I can't seem to find it.
[snapback]31389[/snapback]

Current specifications:

Dual PIII 600Mhz, 512MB PC133 RAM (would prefer 1GB, but 512 is more than enough for now) 20GB SCSI HDD (don't know all the specs for that one).

This is in a 1U Rackmount box. I can take this thing to a coloc facility if I ever decide to move it to one to get it off my network, so it'd have it's own dedicated link, but I'm trying to measure bandwith per month. Right now, it's not looking good ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6