Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Turning traderships into warships: Gun/Turrets use cargo!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm curious as to why this isn't a thing! The mechanics already exist, so why isn't this being done?

What I mean is that, you know how current gun/turrets magically now use cargo space? Wouldn't it be possible to turn your average BWT or Heavy Tanker into a surprise-warship by trading massive amounts of cargo space for firepower? Make it so that by the time said BWT is decked out with 'warship guns', it's only left with about 400 units free for cargo or something, but now has the firepower of a light cruiser, or even a heavy one!

This would potentially turn transports into 'Q-ships'.

These kinds of guns would still fall under the class of 'transport turrets', so no... regular warships can't mount them.

Warships would still have their place in that they're inherently built with a lot of armor, and are equipped with BS shields. So no... these Q-ships would outright lose against a straight slugfest against regular warships.
making all transports like the salvager? :S
ummmm............
(09-02-2016, 02:49 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]making all transports like the salvager? :S
ummmm............

unlike the salvager, which is kinda gunboat-strong AND still has the cargo capacity to ferry goods like a regular transport, using these special turrets would make the Q-ship only be as cargo-spacious as a large freighter at best.
Also please note that a convoy of transports can already take down a cap...
(09-02-2016, 02:52 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]Also please note that a convoy of transports can already take down a cap...

To be fair... a squad of 3 regular gunboats could take down even a battleship, provided the gunboats are set up right, know what they're doing and that the cap doesn't. Which just goes to show more of how the game's been balanced towards superior numbers > equipment and skill.

EDIT: And if that's really the case, then it does beg another question as to why the current transport turrets don't eat up more cargo than they do now. Probably around the ranges of 100-200 units per turret. Then we can have proper Q-ship power with ranges of 200-300 units per Q-ship turret.
that's the thing... a transport shouldnt be compared to a gunboat. a transport's purpose is to move cargo. A gunboat is a kinda like a moving weapon platform. In vanilla it was a ship with many missiles.
the guns for transports are powerful in numbers as it is. I understand the idea of giving transports these stronger guns but it's not a ship designed for such things...

My opinion.
(09-02-2016, 03:16 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]the guns for transports are powerful in numbers as it is. I understand the idea of giving transports these stronger guns WITHOUT A RATIONAL DRAWBACK TO SAID GUNS but it's not a ship designed for such things...

My opinion.

fixed your opinion for you.

of course they're not 'designed' for such things... however, human ingenuity and perseverance has allowed determined transport captains to beat back even pirate battleships, a feat they weren't 'designed' to do, but still did so anyway. so that line of argument doesn't hold much weight.

I simply propose that transports be given the option to further specialize into Q-ships, but at the great cost of available cargo space. Which means said transport is just turned into a glass cannon that don't do their original roles as well as before.

Also, with that said, I do the option of equipping firepower into your transport have its risks/reward system. You can choose not to equip any turrets and have your cargo hold free in exchange for self-defense. You can also choose to have 'regular' transport turrets that trade off some cargo for some protection, enough to deter noob pirates. You can also choose to have 'Q-ship' transport turrets that occupy a MASSIVE chunk of cargo, but you essentially turn into a mini-warship with crappy shields and armor.
Basically makes the transport not a transport anymore, and lets us use pre-existing models in a logical in-RP way to create an entirely new ship class and an entirely new playstyle.

I see zero reason to not do this, tbh.
(09-02-2016, 03:01 AM)leonardo_tigre Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair... a squad of 3 regular gunboats could take down even a battleship

1gb with cerb loadout also can take down a battleship
Dont make transports equal to gunboats
Gboats are overpowered ship class in the game no need for another

I say transports shouldnt have any ship killer weapon maybe give them flaks to deflect incoming torps
Nobody tell Jayce about this, he'll be unstoppable
Pages: 1 2 3 4