Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Ingenuus Research Group | From: Ezrael Vertiga
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 04_by_rhulaner-da2sxcj.gif]

:::[INCOMING TRANSMISSION]:::
:::[ESTABLISHING SECURED AUDIO FEED]:::
:::[AUDIO FEED: LIVE]:::

ID: Ezrael Vertiga
Subject: Cloaking technology
ENCRYPTION: [Image: encryp_by_rhulaner-da2t4d9.gif]

Good day, Mister McCool and the people of the Ingenuus Research Group.

I have a question about cloaking technologies. Maybe the IRG can help me on this matter. Currently, we're 'stuck', so to say, with the Apahanta in Omega-49. Gran Canaria is a beautiful world, and the system is as well, however, we're waiting for Bretonia to answer our request for permission to pass their space, and cruising around in the Omegas and Omicrons is very dangerous for a lonely battleship like the Apahanta. We have a cloaking device though. One that allows the Apahanta to cloak for a consecutive 15 minutes.

That's not enough for my ship. We still have only a skeletal crew of 20 humans and 400 Kishiro Service Robots, so we are just able to use and maintain the cloaking device but not to alter it. Also, we don't have experts on that matter. You sure have.

So, is it possible to extend the duration of the cloaking device's ability? What are the options the IRG can offer, and, of course, what are the costs?

Ezrael Vertiga
[Image: auxdevtrans_by_rhulaner-da30hl1.gif]

[Image: ZFE4gFw.gif]

-_-_-_-_-: Secure Channel Open :-_-_-_-_-
-_-_-_-_-: Encryption Level 5 :-_-_-_-_-
-_-_-_-_-: Sender: Finn McCool :-_-_-_-_-

Good afternoon Mr. Vertiga -

It has been some time since we last spoke - I'm glad t' hear you are well and thriving.

Onto matters at hand. The short answer is yes, it is possible t' extend the duration of a cloaking field. The long answer though is a tad more complicated. Conventional Cloaking Deivces run of batteries, instead of drawing power directly from a vessel's powercore. Standard power cores cannot handle both the weapon systems, propulsion, as well as a cloaking field at once, otherwise you run the risk of a core meltdown. Hence, the need for an external power source, in the form of Cloaking Batteries. Of course the downside is the size of such batteries, which limit the amount a vessel can hold, and subsequently how long they can sustain the cloaking field.

Without going into too many details, we are currently working on ways t' counteract such a primitive solution such as utilizing batteries, but the process is lengthy and we are not yet at the production stage for public use. While I cannot promise anything, nor am I giving you a "yes", I would like t' examine the Apahanta's powergird as well as technical diagrams of your vessel, and see what we could come up with, and if it is feasible. Should we determine that it is a project worth moving forward with, we can discuss cost and draft up a contract.

Until then, safe skies.

Finn McCool
Ingenuus Research Group

That's pleasant news. I'm honest with you, I'm not an engineer. I asked the Apahanta's chief engineer to provide me what you asked for and he just gave me those nice little pictures:

I only understand just a bit about all this. You surely find those pictures interesting and can imagine what possibilities are given. However, I understand one thing for sure: The Apahanta is more alien than I thought, and it's creeping me out. I know the Core did some strange things on Durban and Alabama, but knowing my ship's core isn't a motor but a heart is changing things in my mind.

Can't wait to see your response.

Ezrael Vertiga
[Image: auxdevtrans_by_rhulaner-da30hl1.gif]

Good afternoon Mr. Vertiga -

Thank you for your timely response - much appreciated. Your attachments and logs are... quite interesting t' say the least.

If possible, I'd like you t' return t' Livadia Shipyard, as I'd like my personnel t' get a first hand look at the APM power core. While the layout will provide us with a basis with which t' work on, after reviewing the internals of the Apahanta, it may be more complicated in that the systems may be specifically designed t' only work with APM power cores, versus more universally known powergrids.

Let me know if that is possible, and when you arrive. Safe skies.

Finn McCool
Ingenuus Research Group

[Image: Cdgcpw6.gif]

Lucky coincidence, the Apahanta was mining Iridium in Omicron Lost for our Junker friends in New London, so we were actually close to Livadia.

There is nothing to hide on the Apahanta, so your teams will gain complete access to the ship, as long as they put everything back where it was. I fully trust you on this. Thallia Thorn has a laboratory on Deck 2, at the stern of the ship. That's where you may ask her for permission to enter it, if neccessary.

We have a lot of APM stuff lying around on the ship. Tools, hardware, documentation files and such. Feel free to use it if you want. Canaan was quite interested in it, so maybe you will find some of it useful as well. I'm sure that stuff is better in your hands than in anyones else's.

Take your time with all this, but if you could give me an estimate, that would be nice, just to manage this with my crew. You know, my fiance tends to do weird things when I'm not around for too long. Women.

Ezrael Vertiga

Good evening Mr. Vertiga -

I'm glad t' see you made it safely. As per the norm, the mooring point has been closed off, and your crew only allowed within the confines of the hangerbay. I also was not aware that Dr. Thorn had a laboratory aboard the Apahanta - I'll have t' check in with her as well, and see where her knowledge could assist us.

As far as the offer for APM hardware, we would definitely be interested and would most assuredly find them useful. I'll have my men meet with your crew and take them off your hands shortly.

Now, as far as an estimate, sadly I can not provide one at this present time. Mainly due t' the fact that we would need t' review the logs you sent us, as well as get a first hand look at the Apahanta. T' completely work from the ground up will take a considerable amount of time, when working with unfamiliar systems such as those present on your vessel. If though you required a very rough estimate, I would venture t' design, construction, test, and implement a new cloaking device would run upwards of 500.000.000cr. That may turn out t' be lower, or possibly higher depending on what we find and what our project leads determine after gathering all information. I'm sorry I can't be more concrete than that. Hopefully your fiance understands.

Until my team has analyzed everything, I wish you safe skies.

Finn McCool
Ingenuus Research Group

Subject: Money

I somehow had the feeling that would burn a hole into my account. 500.000.000 Credits, that's a tenth of what I got when I sold my parent's company. You know, I already put around 2.5 billion credits into the Apahanta. I guess another 0.5 won't hurt that much anymore, as I see this as a investition absolutely neccessary to ensure the ship's and the crew's safety.

So I'm okay with that. I think IRG is the most promising entity here. I trust that you work out something. The Apahanta will stay moored at Livadia for as long as you need it. Tell me when and where the money goes. In the meantime, my chief engineer Leon Isley will oversee everything happening during my absense.

So, have fun with playing with your new toy. Safe skies, Mr. McCool!

Ezrael Vertiga

Good day Mr. Vertiga -

I'm grateful for your trust in the IRG for your needs. As t' the matter of payment, please direct all funds t' IRG|Ingenuus. Since the project has yet t' begin though, there is no rush for funds t' be wired quite yet.

I do have another matter that I would like t' discuss. Our first contact with you was during the Freeport 11 incident, where you more than proved that your loyalty towards the Core was not a threat, given your request for repairs at Livadia. Since then though, there has been an agreement of ceasefire between Zoners and the Core, though I suspect that we have yet t' see that matter fully solved and complete. Anyway, with such a ceasefire, communications have been established between myself, and Guildkeeper Lyell.

I'm sure that name is familiar t' you, is it not? Now, please do not turn defensive, as any communication between myself and Mrs. Lyell has not provided her with any specific information regarding the Apahanta or yourself, beyond that she is aware we are in contact. I'm not in the business of selling secrets t' the highest bidder, nor wish t' be a catalyst that would harm those who have sought refuge and help from the Cof or IRG. The nature of our discussion regarding yourself captain though, is one I would like t' inquire further on.

My question for you is, and in your own words, why would Mrs. Lyell feel the need t' send me a comm that recommends caution with regards our association with you? Obviously I am taking her words with a grain of salt, if you can forgive such an ancient saying, but as a scientist and researcher, understand the value in coming t' my own conclusions with facts from all sides and angles.

I look forward t' your response Mr. Vertiga. Safe skies in the meantime.

Finn McCool
Ingenuus Research Group

Pages: 1 2