Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Notice: Temporary removal of the Setmsg command
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Hey there, peeps.

It has been around three years since the last time the community began an argument regarding the impact of the Setmsg command on an RP server. We kept an eye on this thread and the remarks about how the setmsg commands must be the cause, so a discussion started in the admin cave regarding the statements made there and, even though the general consensus was that - just like those many years ago, it would make no difference - we realized that most of our current members were not around during those times to experience it.

With this in mind, we would like to allow the participants of our community to be able to test the consequences of at least -some- their assumptions and for this purpose - the /setmsg command will be disabled until the 14th of November. This will come into effect during the next server restart.

This is not intended to be a permanent change, sure, but we firmly believe that an RP community blaming the lack of RP quality on a command is rather silly. This is an experience you should obtain, at least for two weeks. If anything, it will most likely put some of your concerns to rest, if only to make way to new ones.

And if by any miracle it does improve things...well then, be sure that this was totally our plan all along! Surely.
Will /showmsgs continue to be available? I'm assuming you're also disabling the commands that use messages stored by /setmsg?
Not that i'm against testing things, but i think in this specific situation for slow typers (like myself) it would be a hassle to type a long message while in a battle instead of having witty sayings one likes to use mid fight saved on /1 or whatever - think of it this way, stop dodging for 15 seconds to write 1 message, return with half your hull taken away.. in a dread.

I mean, wheres the fun(and the rp for that matter) in not speaking after the first few pre pew lines were spoken?
I returned here after 6 years, played when there was always a 200/200 population (roughly). Heck, I remember having to wait for 30 minutes of trial and error till I could finally connect due to the lack of slots.
I can't tell if that command has any impact, but i CAN tell that toxicity levels have gone WAY up since that time, which makes it rough for me to enjoy the game as a returner.

I run into people during a trade run - they don't even greet back. I run into PvP - nomore "honor", nomore gentleman attitude. Just being told how pathetic a certain performance was, how terrible it looked. And thats ooRP, so an attack on a personal level, and there is no inRP other than "look what we have here" and blasters going off.

You see fellow navy stand idly by in their capships while pirates gang up on one of their navy brothers in a snub in the middle of NY to "keep the fight fair". Pirates in New York, the capital of liberty space, shouldnt expect a fair fight when they are bold enough to sit near a cap ship of the navy.

The server commands and "playground" we are provided are not the problem - the people are.

Thanks for letting me shove my opinion in your face, i feel better now. So bring on the flames, bring on the torrential flood. This is a "new" player not feeling welcome.
Well playing a Nom trying to RP a Message for engagement is going to suck since we get shot writing out our stuff.
Good.

I never used this command anyway, and I do not like the results of what this feature has caused. It caters to lazy people who can't be bothered to think and just want to shoot.

(10-28-2016, 03:16 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]Well playing a Nom trying to RP a Message for engagement is going to suck since we get shot writing out our stuff.

Don't nomads have an infinite cloak?
(10-28-2016, 03:22 AM)McNeo Wrote: [ -> ]Good.

I never used this command anyway, and I do not like the results of what this feature has caused. It caters to lazy people who can't be bothered to think and just want to shoot.

(10-28-2016, 03:16 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]Well playing a Nom trying to RP a Message for engagement is going to suck since we get shot writing out our stuff.

Don't nomads have an infinite cloak?

Even if they have their cloak, the engagement rules have a little while ago changed on the ID and now K'Hara at least has to do said notice while uncloaked. I do not, however, remember the public Nomad ID rule set regarding engagements.
(10-28-2016, 03:22 AM)McNeo Wrote: [ -> ]Don't nomads have an infinite cloak?

Im in K'Hara and we had our ID changed.... we have to do two lines Out of cloak in order to engage... so typing something like this

**..(Rage) ..'Yours'..-Husk/Metal- ~Anger~..'Ours'..'Embrace' ~Spitfire~**

while not getting shot and typing two lines will get us crapped on...

Not to mention trying to stop smugglers... etc. some people see this took a a way out.. but i see this as a way to help me say what i need to and stay within the scope of the rules.
(10-28-2016, 04:27 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 03:22 AM)McNeo Wrote: [ -> ]Don't nomads have an infinite cloak?

Im in K'Hara and we had our ID changed.... we have to do two lines Out of cloak in order to engage... so typing something like this

**..(Rage) ..'Yours'..-Husk/Metal- ~Anger~..'Ours'..'Embrace' ~Spitfire~**

while not getting shot and typing two lines will get us crapped on...

Not to mention trying to stop smugglers... etc. some people see this took a a way out.. but i see this as a way to help me say what i need to and stay within the scope of the rules.

Back in the day we didn't have /setmsg and Keepers/K'Hara had no problem engaging and so on.

imo. disabling /setmsg is a good thing.
not having /setmessage is going to be hard for some, myself included, not so much for the time it takes but because on every char i have /1 set with a that ships/char name and a generic greetings or safe skies style message, now iv got to spend a hour plus most likely plus going going through my chat loggs to find all my char names just so i have them all, cause as of right now i remember about 4 out plus a few crew members names out of just over 60 shiips!! , not licking this no set messages idea but hey will see how it goes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14