Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: At the Core of the Conflict...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
// This story starts prior to this comm

[Image: 3c6e9eebc1.png]

Drowsy and incoherent, Finn's eyes fluttered open. A cold, steel room with nothing but a chair and small table occupied the small space. Closing his eyes trying to think of the events that transpired, his mind drew a blank. Regaining some senses, he tried to get sensation back into his legs and arms... only to find both strapped to another chair in the room. As his vision cleared, the taste of copper flooded his senses. Blood.

Looking around, trying to make sense of things, he could hear the faint sounds of foot steps nearing. Shaking his head, trying to regain more control over his sense and vision, he watched as the door slid open to the room.

Bright white, almost glowing in the room. Blinking a few more times, his vision became clearer. A woman, older, dressed in a vibrant white suit stepped in. Still unable to see who wore such fine garb, he tried to speak.

"Wha... ugh. What is thi... this?"

The women smiled, and as Finn shook his head once more, her face came into view. Mrs. Lyell, Guildkeeper of the Core.
The operation had been quick and effective. Finn wasn't a man who was hard to find. Especially considering that he was supposed to be an important figure in almost any scientific field, this fact in itself was baffling. A bar. The Arcani who had been tasked with shadowing, and apprehending the Administrator had found Finn McCool in a bar, quite intoxicated, making it easy for the skilled infiltrators to persuade the man to accompany them. Entirely without violence. Well, until the Administrator sobered up and found himself in the cell of an APM vessel heading towards the depths of Omicron Rho. A little bit of advanced silencing under the threat of airlock evacuation training had been necessary to silence his mouth.

Now, entering his little, humble abode, she felt almost bad for not having specified that he should at least look presentable. Damaged wares sold cheaper. "I take it you had a pleasant night?" asked Cordelia Lyell, Guildkeeper of the Core. With a hand, she stroked a hair off her pristine white suit. "Do you know what day it is?" She came to a halt approximately two steps away from where Finn was restrained against the chair he was sitting on. The door closed behind them, and Lyell knew there was someone protocolling the entire conversation, so there was no need for her to take notes.
Slowly closing his eyes with a slight shake of his head, Finn tried to recall the day, or even what had transpired the night before. Vague flashes swept through his mind, but nothing clear or recognizable. The last thing he remembers was enjoying a drink. Not surprising, given that is his preferred method of relaxation. Everything beyond that though was fragmented and indiscernible.

"I... don't. I don't know what day it is. I don't even remember what happened."

Closing his eyes even tighter, he mustered what strength he could feel in an attempt to force the memories into something he could latch on to and remember. About to give up, a flash of a fist. Pain. A far off voice asking him a question, though the words escaped him.

"Why am I here Cordelia? The last time... I recall speaking with you, we were on surprisingly amicable terms, given... what transpired. What do you want?!"

His angry tone in his last question left him wincing in pain. He wondered what could possible have happened to result in this situation, but his mind would not cooperate.

It seemed he was suffering from a short term memory loss. Such 'blockages' were unsurprising, Lyell figured, given the medicine needed to sedate the man. There was something perfidious about the idea that they could have potentially had this talk a lot of times already, as this would reliably wipe the last day of his memory. "Were you raised in a barn, Mr. McCool? One does not address authorities by first name." She wouldn't call herself vainglorious, but there was a certain degree of satisfaction she derived from being able to have people address her formally, with title even. "You are here because I willed it. There has been an incident with a Zoner Colony Ship called Arcadia that broke the ceasefire." The words would tell him all he'd need to know.

"Of course, as the de facto leader, I saw fit to put the rapier to the Confederacy's throat by seizing the head of the hydra, as it were." Her stance was rigid, her hands folded behind her back as she stood before him, the neon light of the empty room illuminating her pale, old face.
Fin sneered as soon as soon as Cordelia chastised him for using her first name. He was her captive, he was beaten and suffering memory loss. His last worry or care was appeasing her request for a formal address.

"You have me tied up, beaten, and drugged. Any respect or authority you feel you deserve from me is not going t' happen Cordelia.

Coughing, he positioned himself up on his chair as best he could while being tied down. He tried cracking his neck, but searing pain shot down his left side as soon as he twisted his head. Composing himself as best he could from the pain, he focused on what she said about the Arcadia.

"The Arcadia... yes, I'm familiar with her. Not personally, but i've heard reports. A lone captain with a minimal crew. Operates outside the confines of the Confederation, and has been more a thorn in our side than a benefit. Not entirely surprised that the Arcadia would break something they never agreed t' in the first place."

He chuckled, and stared Cordelia straight in the eyes as he continued.

"Heh, you really screwed up didn't you? You capture me as t' strike fear into the hearts of the Confederation, over actions that we ourselves never condoned? Are you mad? What did you hope to achieve? That I would suddenly go ' Oh I am so sorry Mrs. Lyell. You have my sincerest apologies for the actions of someone who acts against our own interests often. How ever can I bow and grovel at your feet for something that wasn't even connected t' the Confederation!' I mean, really? You're essentially blaming the entirety of the Confederation for the actions of a sole individual, misguided and frankly shouldn't even bear the name 'Zoner'!"

He strained to finish the sentence, and burst into a coughing fit.
This reaction was to be expected. In fact, she had heard it at least five times already. Since Finn had been brought here, it had been at least two weeks. Suppressing any reaction to his spiteful reproach, Lyell simply nodded briefly, slowly. "You are not telling me anything new, Mr. McCool," she told him evenly. Turning her head, she nodded towards the door and a figure dressed in what looked like a full-body armor of a sleek, black material entered the room, the door closing behind him. From out of Finn's vision, the figure would start pulling a medical tray closer to the bed, though what exactly was on it eluded Finn's limited sight, even if he turned his head to the side as much as possible.

Tired of Finn's words, Lyell watched the figure work, her eyes resting firmly on whatever artisian craft was being prepared by the evidently male figure. There was nothing of value coming from Finn's mouth, and if she was being honest, she didn't need anything from him. What would follow was simply amusement. After all, she could have his short-term memory wiped again, just as it had happened many times before. Granted, the more they did it, the higher the chance of him eventually suffering a catastrophic brain-tissue degeneration, but as far as Lyell was concerned, she didn't crave anything inside that skull. The only sounds in the room was the soft clanking of whatever the man behind Finn was preparing.
It had been days since the torture had resumed. Never seeing the figure, never hearing a sound other than Finn's own screams of pain. On the few occasions where he was able to catch a breath, he noticed that the only portions of his body affected were not essential locations, nor did the various techniques used on him have lasting effects that he could notice. Whoever was orchestrating such sessions was doing so with skill and precision, but to what end Finn couldn't grasp.

All he could gather was something larger was occurring regarding his imprisonment at the hands of the Core.
Frustration.

There were few instances in which Lyell could truly say that she had felt exasperated in her life. Fancying herself a woman of composure and class, such things were considered beneath her notice. Still, if there was something she could not help but take note of, it would be being stuck. It had been days since the last time she had spoken to the Administrator who was still locked in her 'cellar', as she liked to call it. She simply couldn't find the energy in herself to subject herself to his mindless screams. There was a sort of idle wonder about how long it would take until the treatment she had ordered him to be subjected to would evacuate any semblence of humanity left in his skull, hollowing it out like a pumpkin for halloween. It was akin to a child in school, dissecting an animal in biology class for the first time. There was simply something visceral, and Lyell even dared say, pleasing about the thought of one of her enemies suffering worse pains than even biblical punishment had prescribed. If there was a good, a gestating figure looming over everything and orchestrating their lives to the tee, every little detail to amuse himself, Lyell was convinced that this God was not a merciful or caring creature — and neither was she. He had not spoken. Regardless of how adamant they had tried to pry the secrets of the Ingenuus Power Cores out of Finn McCool's feelble skull, he had not yielded, given no quarter.

With one finger, Lyell turned the page of the book in front of her. She was sitting in her study, secluded in the farmost reaches of Durban, quite far from the suffering of McCool. The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. It wasn't like she necessarily needed these things, but she found a strange satisfaction in owning things that the mortal soul would not be able to afford. The book in front of her was ancient, believed to have been taken from Sol by one of the passengers of the Hispania, and she had procured it for a sum so abhorrent, it would make Gallic nobles blush. With a resounding snap, the book was closed and pushed to the side. Putting her head into her hands, Lyell remained like this for a while before staring off into the distance, into the corner of her room, ponderous. The electronic light streaming from the ceiling illuminated her grey hair, laying bare to all who could see her advanced age that she so adamantly denied and refused to show, although it was taking a toll on her.

With a hand, she opened a tab on the terminal that was mounted on the desk in front of her and appraised the contents of what was shown. It had been a while since she had contacted them. It had been more of a mood, really, nothing concrete. There had always been a rather insatiable desire to find out whether these creatures were capable of more than simple aggression. Culture, art. Maybe even a soul? What would she gain from doing anything for them? Nothing tangible, that was certain. The fiends were way too sly to yield anything of note, anything that she could use. Then again, what would she do even if they did? She already was rich, richer than 99.9% of Sirius. She could buy an entire planet if she wanted to, or better yet, simply take one for herself out here, in the Omicrons. After all, the useful idiots of the Core would do anything for their mistress.

And yet it all seemed hollow. Lyell had long since forewent the pleasures money, realizing that there was a certain treshold, that, once passed, would simply devolve her frenzied avarice into gluttonous self-indulgence that would ultimately lead to ruin. Idly, she tapped the edge of the nearly invaluable book that was lying in front of her. One of the only copies of the bible that were yet preserved from Sol. There was the sudden urge to destroy it, simply because she could. Not her problem that the money that went into acquiring this could have probably funded the evacuation and continued safety of the entire population of Planet Nuremberg from the dark matter catastrophe in Munich, but she stopped herself. After all, wanton destruction served no purpose.

Sighing, she stood up, the chair she had sat on grinding over the expensive ground loudly in the complete and utter silence of the room. With decisive steps, Lyell moved towards the door and left, intending to pay McCool one final visit that would be the deciding factor in whether she would decide to finally allow him to die or not. God might be neither merciful nor kind, but even he got bored at some point.
It seemed like an eternity in the cell. Time became meaningless, as tracking the times when his frequent "sessions" occurred brought no answers. It only brought pain. But Finn refused to answer the questions requested from his torturer. Questions about Zoner in general, questions about the Ingenuus power Cells, and many others that seemed to slip through his mind when he attempted to recall such.

Catching what felt like minutes worth of rest in the corner of his cell, the door open. Standing up in expectation of another round of agony, he opened his eyes and gazed at the bright white that contrasted with the grey and blue hues of the room. focusing his attention on the face of the person who walked in, his eyebrows lowered and a rush of distaste washed over him.

"Oh look, the wrinkled old snake is gracing us with her presence. The hell do you want Cordelia?

He coughed after forcing himself to speak, with his words raspy and searing pain as his vocal cords moved. But regardless of the pain, he was not about to let a moment be lost to antagonize and offer a jab at his captor.

Giving in to the pain of exerting himself, he sat down on the single chair in the room, and stared with one fully open eye at the wolf in sheep's clothing.
They had had this before. It was always the same. After a certain point, all desire to duress from him useful information had yielded to a more visceral desire to simply see him suffer. It had been fun, for a while, at least, though after hours upon hours of it, it had gotten stale. "I must congratulate you," Lyell said, taking a dainty step into the cell that had been McCool's housing for several months now. She wondered whether he would instantly turn blind at being released into the blindingly bright deserts of Nauru. "I believe it is time you regained your freedom." She came to a halt merely out of reach of his legs. She wouldn't debase herself by suffering an ill-thought-out assault of his, after all. "Freedom from me, that is."

If there had been any doubt on what to do prior to this, it was gone now. The simple prospect of his unbelieving stare upon realizing what she had envisioned for him made it all worth the effort. She snapped her fingers, and through the door came two other generic looking men in grey uniforms, who positioned themselves behind the chair that Finn was bound to. He would only be hearing the chains that bound him being tampered with before the men grabbed his arms and pulled him upright. The treatment as well as the fact he had not received much space or opportunity to move made it visibly difficult for Finn to walk, though the men were strong enough to drag him, courtesy to the H+ Clinic. "Bring him to the Insidiosus," Lyell instructed the men, who nodded and started moving towards the door with their captive, Lyell walking exactly three steps behind them as the door of Finn's cell closed in a decisive manner.
Pages: 1 2