Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Sapphire Raven
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
***INCOMING TRANSMISSION***

Miss Raven
Per your request the HS-Marama entered the Omega-11 system and we have concluded our tests on both the Red Giant in that system and the radiation that it emits. We composed a report on our findings, which i now send to you. We also have rock and diamond samples that were recovered if your own people wish to examine them.

I hope this is what you were looking for.
Regards: Dr J. Steiner

Observations on Red Giants and Radioactivity in Omega-11 (pg. 834-836)
Dr J. Steiner, et al (824 A.S.) Excerpt of Report as requested by Auxesia regarding spacial travel in radioactive systems

However in order to understand the level of radioactivity found in the Omega-11 system , and to accuratly predict whether or not the radioactivity will increase within the average Human lifespan, we must first examine the cause. Our focus therefore is the Red Giant that lies at the heart of the system. First charted and mapped by the famed Rheinland explorer, Von Rohe, and later confirmed by the Sirius Meterological Institute (SMI) the giant's data is as follows:

TYPE: M8
LUMINOSITY: Ib
COLOR: Red
TEMPERATURE: 3K
MASS: 1.59 x 10e33 kg
DIAMETER: 8.02 x 10e9 km

Given that stars age over millions if not billions of years it is safe to presume that the star has changed little since Von Rohe first mapped the system.

We can see, according to the above data, that the giant's surface temparture sits around 3000 Kelvin (Roughly 2726.85 degrees celsius). Given the star's mass, this is not an uncommon red giant, if anything it is still a young star. The levels of radiation (Which are confirmed to be Gammar photons) that are produced are perfectly normal for a star this old and of this size. To support this theory, the field team conducted a series of test. At roughly 25 Killometers from the surface of the star, teams were instructed to drop their ship sheilds and for a period of 5 minutes. The resulting damage to the hull was insignificant. The test was repeated with sheilds up with the same results. However at 15.6 Killiometers, the tests were concluded early due to significant hull damage. As such it is not reccomended for pilots to fly within the 16KM mark of the star. It should be noted that the test was conducted without armour, in order to accuratly assess the damage done.

Considering this temprature and the star's mass (as mentioned above) and the radioactivity it is producing we aboard the HS-Marma argue that the star is perfectly normal and healthy for its age, the background radiaction is an example of Nuclear fusion, meaning the star has exhusted its supply of Hydrogen and is now burning Helium. (Crowther, P. A. (797 A.S.). "Physical Properties of Wolf-Rayet Stars". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 177–219) Thus the star is expected to increase over time and eventually from a diamond planet, a nebula or possibly a white dwarf or supergiant at which point the possibility of a supernova is signifcantly higher than what it is now (Zeilik, Michael A.; Gregory, Stephan A. (793 A.S.)Introductory Astronomy & Astrophysics (4th ed.).

Regardless, with sheilds maintained and pilots flying an acceptable distance away from the star, the background radiation poses little to no threats to ships or people.
End of Excerpt

***END OF TRANSMISSION***
[Image: 3WWcT45.png]

»INCOMING TRANSMISSION«

» COMM-ID: Keeper Raven
» ENCRYPTION: Secure
» LOCATION: ???
» SUBJECT:-

»STARTING MESSAGE«

Interesting, I'm impressed by the surveyed data, but I have a few queries. What types of shielding did you use? Typically, ship shieldings tend to resist radiation, blocking most of the waves out where possible, but this all depends on how intensive the radiation is - meaning whenever the shield barrier is dropped, the more damaging the radiation will be as it isn't being blocked out. What kind of hull treatment or armor type was used on the vessel? Do you have the radiation readings? How many sieverts?

Gathering field data is important, as well as finding accuracy in the tests.

[[ENDING TRANSMISSION]]
Miss Raven
Our shielding is class six graviton transport sheild, and you are correct, except that Gamma radiation is not easily stopped. The closer one is to the giant the more radiation one is exposed to. Should you have your shields down then the ships hull becomes irradiated, and the longer you have your shields down, the higher the risk of a hull breach is. This holds true for when the shields are raised, save that the amount of gamma rays hitting the hull is significantly reduced, but not totally, there will still be damage if one spends a prolonged amount of time in the system. Furthermore, we purposely unequiped the ships armour in order to monitor the damage done to the Hull alone.

We have discovered a slight increase in the radiation levels within the ship, roughly 3 Sieverts. However the outside of the ship is reading 600 Sierverts. As such we locked down the Ore samples we took, some of the crew are under observation. The closest radiation readings we recieved were hovering around the 850-910 mark, but that was within the 16KM zone. If i remember correctly someone mentoned that the radiation does roughly 16875 units of damage per min (Unshielded) reletive to the ship at 16K (Or closer). Not including coronal damage. I'll check those numbers if you think they are off though.

Regards. J. Steiner

»INCOMING TRANSMISSION«

»STARTING MESSAGE«

If you could meet up with one of our workers in Inverness, that would be much appreciated. A squad shall be waiting for you on Invergordon for the dropoff.

Please notify me when you arrive and the name of the vessel, so we can arrange payment. Your work and efforts is very much appreciated.

[[ENDING TRANSMISSION]]
[[BOOSTING TRANSMISSION]]
Apologies Miss Raven, for not replying as quickly as I could. Three members of the crew died of radiation poisoning thus we were delayed while we gave them a final resting place and the proper funerals.

In anycase, we have arrived and are ready to make the exchange when you are. The name of the Vessel is HS-Marama.

Dr. J. Steiner.

»INCOMING TRANSMISSION«

»STARTING MESSAGE«

My condolences for your loss, may they find peace.

Please provide the timestamp and the docking reference of your arrival at Invergordon, leave the sample at secure bay 7, our guards will be waiting.

(//screenshot with /time )

[[ENDING TRANSMISSION]]
Pages: 1 2