Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Forlorn Hope: Seraphim Wing || Open to all Forlorn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
|▫|▫|▫|▫|Project Log |▫|▫|▫|▫|

Project: SERAPHIM

[Image: nniFuSh.png]

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FINALIZING IDENTIFICATION PROCESS ... PLEASE WAIT ...
FILE OPENED...

• »»» Location: Taba Starbase
  • »»» Progress: Minimal
  • »»» Priority: High
  • »»» Restricted Access: Red - 1

Seraphim Wing, Log 1,

Alright people. I'm happy to report that our negotiations with the Crayterians have come through. We now have eleven Nyx Space Superiority Ships on their way to Haven, and they are scheduled to arrive in the next two days. This is a large project, as each of the ships needs to be inspected, optimized and potentially modified to give each of our pilots every possible edge they can get. So, to that end, I'm officially instructing everyone, even the Knight Captains, including myself, to make sure that this Project is given utmost priority, second only to the Haven Project. The only person exempt from this is Mai, as her current Project might leave her unreachable for large periods of time.

Now, I'm no engineer, so I have no idea what might be needed for this Project in the future, however, Elena does have some background as a mechanic along with Gerald. So for this Project the two of them are in charge. I've already contracted a small workforce of mechanics to help the two of you with the Project, but should you find yourselves lacking any equipment or materials, let me know, and I'll get it A.S.A.P. for you. Aside from that, all I need is for Gerald and Elena to report to the Haven so that when the Nyx's arrive work can begin immediately.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
Knight Captain Stenn
The Forlorn Hope

|▫|▫|▫|▫| Project Log Closed |▫|▫|▫|▫|

Arrival Log, 1,

Okay, here comes Log Number One from me. After a rather bumpy ride to the Omicrons, I finally reached my destination today at 15:00 Standard Sirius Time. Haven still looks like a complete wreck, I still don't know how we even managed to move it one single meter at all. Anyways, repairing Haven isn't going to be my duty, instead I will have to oversee the work being done on the Seraphim squad we just bought a few days ago.

I already had the opportunity to have a close look at them, they are indeed magnificent aircrafts, the concept of beauty in itself.
A pity I might have to disassemble them completely to see what needs to be changed in order to make them full-functional again.
Though I already got a few neat ideas what we could try, I guess I will have to talk to Gerald first. We're working on this together after all.

Anyways, that's it for today. No progress has been made so far, but that's obvious I guess.

Log Submitted
Knight Captain Elena Voigt
The Forlorn Hope

Arrival Log, 1,

Hell, if I had known the journey to Taba would be this long I'd have brought more wine, they don't wanna give me any of theirs. I arrived with Spanner later than I expected, but since no work has started yet I figured it was okay to take a long nap when I docked. When I woke up I went and took a closer look at Haven. It will be hard work, to say the least. She's in bad shape, and needs a lot of love.

As for the Seraphim, I had a peek at the ships. They seem fine from the outside, I'm not entirely sure what y'all want me to fix them for. Elena wants to piece-by-piece each one so that'll take a while as well. We'll have to pace this out correctly, so I can work on Haven and the fighters the same amount of time.

That's all.

Log Submitted
Knight Gerald Carry
The Forlorn Hope

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

Seraphim Wing, Log 2,

Elena, Gerald, glad you've both made it out here in one piece. Due to the recent events in Deck 4 of the Haven, I haven't been able to personally come visit you in your workshop. However, I can happily inform you, that despite my extended Med-Bay visit, work on the Haven is progressing smoothly, and now that the power-core and life support are properly installed, you can begin work on the Seraphim. I've read your logs on the subject and can share some information. First, what we need done with the ships is basic maintenance, you know the sort, make sure everything is plugged in right and working at peak efficiency. Secondly, we need to focus on getting all eleven of the ships up to that same standard. I don't care if you rewire the entire ship for an increase in efficiency, but I do care that you take care with your attempts to do so. Don't be afraid to use one of the ships as a test bed, so long as you are certain you can translate the positive results of it to the other ships.

With all that said, I leave the Seraphim project under your capable guidance. Feel free to requisition materials and supplies as needed, and remember that all of the Forlorn benefit from this project, so don't be afraid to call them in for help, whether it be a test flight of a ship or something else.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
Knight Captain Stenn
The Forlorn Hope

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

• »»» Location: Haven

Seraphim Wing, Log 3,

Alright, so after the first day working on the Nyxes together with Gerald, I can already say it will be quite labour-intensive. Even though we got the mechanic teams at our disposal, unscrewing every single Nyx to fix stuff in the inside will take some considerable time. To shorten the time as much as possible, we decided to concentrate on one exemplar of it for the time being, and doing handicrafts until we are happy with the outcome. Then, we can proceed with fixing the others, following the way we handled the first, which will hopefully take considerably less time.

I already talked to Gerald, he seems to not have quite as much ideas what to do with the Seraphim as I hoped. Well, I will have to think about something on my own at first then.

Guess I should list the problems first. So, as it seems from the first deployments of the wing, the power core is not working at its full potential. For now, I got no idea why exactly that's the case, but I guess this will be our first move, removing the power core and inspecting whether something is wrong inside them or they just don't work correctly together with the other systems of the Nyx. Don't wanna criticisize Crayterian manufacturing, just saying I might do better.

The weapons systems also don't work as well as we hoped they would. That's the second thing we need to check, whether it's because of the Crayterian weapons mounted or not. I still don't understand what exactly the reason for it is, but I got a suspicion. We equipped the Nyxes with different engines, others than the original Crayterian ones, so it might has to do something with them, as I was also told by Mai that she heard weird sounds from her engine during her flight-outs. I will have to check that as well, maybe the Black Market engines from Barrier Gate station don't work well with the Crayterian power core.

That's it for today, I primarily used it to list the problems we need to solve and what the reasons might be. Tomorrow, I will start looking deeper into the Nyx's systems.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
The Forlorn Hope

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

Seraphim Wing, Log 4,

I poked around and found what you were talking about. I think them folks gave us restricted versions of the Nyx that they use. This is usually easily fixed, but having never worked on Crayter tech before, I can't say for sure. We'll for sure need to use one of them as a guinea pig to see what works and what doesn't. Let's just not break them.

Elena is working on a list of problems to make it easier for everyone working on them. Before we make any big changes to them, I'd like to see the core working at full potential. Right now it's near impossible to overheat due to the lowered output limit, but that won't help us one bit when we need em most. Not to mention the black market engines, those can be a risky investment.

I'll see if I can find anything else, but I'll wait for Elena before I start pulling plugs.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
Knight Gerald Carry
The Forlorn Hope

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

Seraphim Wing, Log 5,

to be honest, I'd have never thought those cheeky bastards, also called the Crayterians, only gave us some second-hand Nyxes, but apparently, they really did it. On the other hand, we shouldn't blame them, they got a freaking war against the Gallic Royal Navy going on at the moment, and they probably need their latest and most modern makes for themselves.

It's especially cheeky since they polished the outside of the crafts, probably to make us believe they are brand-new. But when I looked into the inside with Gerald today for the first time, we were both shocked at how messy the wirings looked and how filthy it was in general. Actually, it's a wonder these things are still flying quite well, as it seems some real amateurs already dabbled with them and tried to repair them, but without any heart obviously. Not like us. I swear, I'll rather go to my grave than seeing these Nyxes in such a bad shape for any longer.

We only had a look at one Nyx so far. As I said, they seem to have been repaired by amateurs, which as a consequence means every single craft will probably look different on the inside, making it a much harder job for us to replicate our repairs on every Nyx the same way.

As Gerald suggested, we first tried to unplug the power core, the operative word being "tried", as we had to cut some cables here and there to even get to the core and remove it. In the end, we were able to do it, and I gave it to Gerald to analyze the power core on a more detailed basis to see what the hell is wrong with it. From what I've seen though - and that something was a rosty piece of crap -, we will probably have to order new power cores, I personally don't see any way how to repair them. Maybe Gerald got some neat tricks on how to solve that problem, but I guess we'll see.

While he was concerned with that issue, I used the rest of my time to try and get an overview on which cable is leading where exactly, as it literally is an unorganized, inscrutable mess in there. At the end of the day, I've been able to get an idea on how this specific Nyx seems to work, even though I found wires that don't lead anywhere, or ones that shouldn't be connected to each other. That's probably a reason for the power drain as well, giving more energy than necessary to some modules while neglecting others like the weapons system.

And once again, I don't think it was a good idea to equip them with these blackmarket engines. It's called blackmarket for a reason, and as it seems, they don't work quite well with the rest of the systems as of now. Changing this is of course on our to-do-list, but it's not going to be our first priority. Rather, getting the power core back online on 100% or purchasing new ones that are compatible with the Nyxes is our most important task right now.

Gerald, please find more about the power core ASAP, especially whether you think you can repair them and get them back into shape or whether we really do have to spend even more money.

That's it from me for today. Tomorrow, I'm going to instruct the rest of our team, so they are also capable of finding their ways through the Nyx's inside - I could really use a dozen more of hands helping out.

Damn these Crayterian engineers. They don't seem to know what they got with their lovely crafts.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
The Forlorn Hope

[Image: zomNBO5.png]

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

Seraphim Wing, Log 6,

Glad to see work is progressing smoothly, despite unexpected setbacks. Seeing as there are no equipment or personal requests just yet, I would like to remind you both that all you need do is ask for it to be acquired and delivered. Until then, keep up the good work. And yes Elena, we knew they wouldn't be top of the line, they are fighting a war as you mentioned, just be glad these are Evo-2 models, and not Evo-1's.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
Knight Captain Stenn
The Forlorn Hope

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

Seraphim Wing, Log 7,

Alright, so here we go again. Unfortunately, Gerald has been kinda busy lately, mostly with other stuff, which made me having to deal with the powercore all alone. Not that this would be a problem though, I believe I can also handle it on my own.

However to be completely honest, and this is a long time mechanic speaking here, I don't see any good chances in bringing the powercores back to 100% as they are now. As I already pointed out in my last log, the one we removed from one of the Nyxes looked extremely rosty, hence Itried a few things with it, to be precise to replace the batteries and some very old cables. In the end though, I decided to put it under a stress test, draining as much power from the core as a usual Nyx would need to operate at 100%, and it literally didn't take three seconds until the core malfunctioned completely and just fell asleep. I tried to get it back online with any means possible, but nothing helped, some fatal error must have occured I don't have any idea about.

Keeping this failed experiment in mind, I'd highly suggest ordering new power cores instead of working on the old. I already made one into complete scrap, and in serious combat situations where full power is needed, I doubt we can or should risk a power core error like the one I caused. For our own safety, we should order new ones and work on implementing those instead. This task would be a lot easier, as I'm more or less expertised in adjusting ships to power cores, not the other way around.

Otherwise, there's nothing new to report, as I'd like to wait for the new power cores to arrive before I want to make a decision on what to do with the weapons systems and the blackmarket engines.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
The Forlorn Hope

[[[ACCESS GRANTED]]]
FILE OPENED...

Seraphim Wing, Log 8,

And here we go again, although this time I got nothing totally new. Haven't been able to talk to Nick about the new power cores so far, so everything that correlates with the implementation of these new ones will have to wait until they have been ordered and delivered, sadly.

On the other hand, what I wanted to report is one of the first succesful flights with the Seraphim under realistic combat conditions. Nick and I were present with our exemplars when a small task force of Crayterian battleships alongside the Libertonian and Bretonian Forces gathered in Leeds and confronted the Gauls. All in all, it was a success, and even I hadn't been able to work on the two ones we used, their handling was surprisingly good. The only obvious problem is and will remain the powercore and the weapon systems, when chasing down an opponent and opening fire for a longer duration of time, the enegry drain is immense.

Luckily, both the Nyxes survived it. My motivation to repair them from scratch wouldn't have been the biggest one to be honest, even though I got a whole repair team at my disposal.

That's it for today.

FILE CLOSED...

Log Submitted
The Forlorn Hope

Pages: 1 2