Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Bōmei
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Shin Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture, Planet Honshu
11:02 PM, May 13th

To the average foreigner, Kusari was not known for its diversity of alcohol. But this was a lie, as any discerning individual could tell you. The proof existed in the palm of Sora's hand. A glass of the finest whiskey, crafted at a distillery located not far away from Shin Sendai. Its heritage lay with an ancient distillery from the distant past of humanity when the people of Kusari still lived in their home country: Japan. According to legend, the founder of the distillery went to a far and distant land to learn the art of creating such a libation from foreigners. And despite the conservatives and reactionaries of his land opposing such, he established his trade and shared the gift of this amber concoction with the rest of Japan and the world.

Sora Kobayashi contemplated the nature of such alcohol as he relaxed in a small, trendy restaurant not far from the Shin Sendai spaceport. Western-style furnishings and style meshed together with traditional Kusari cuisine and clientele. The dim lighting did little to reveal the faces of the other patrons. The privacy of the darkness suited Sora, despite his nickname of 'Hotaru' from his time on Planet Tomioka. Even though his days as an infantryman were only three or so years ago, they felt as distant as his birth. He tilted the glass of whiskey towards his mouth and savored each drop of the burning nectar that graced his palate and throat.

An older man entered the establishment, eyeing the table Sora occupied. As per tradition, the host let out the cry of 'Irasshaimase!' to welcome him, accompanied by a courteous bow. With a brief nod, exchange of words, and a point towards Sora, the old man came over to stand in front of Sora. He gave a deep bow, to which Sora responded with a quick equivalent. After the greeting, he sat down.

"You certainly seem to prefer this variety of restaurant, my lord. I even see those of my own Shimazu clan coming to this place in particular. I can only hope it does not attract the unwanted attention of the police," the old man cautioned.

"You worry too much, Izanagi-san. The Republic is currently going through a civil war. They will not bother with some ex-Dragons getting drunk in some small city on Honshu. Our connections ensure as much, at least. And remember, I am a lord no longer. My title was stripped from me long ago," Sora responded.

A server brought forth a platter of sashimi for the table, and both men nodded in thanks. Sora ate one before continuing.

"I did not call you here to debate my choice in eateries, however. I called you here to discuss our future."

For a moment, Izanagi was silent. His typically solemn countenance shifted into a more eager expression.

"We shall ride once again? Say the word, and we will prepare ourselves to unleash hell upon whomever!" he declared excitedly. The chance to regain some honor and glory was enough to spur the old man into action.

"You misunderstand me, Izanagi-san. I do not mean to go to war. We are far from prepared. There is much that must be done before our rise to prominence."

Sora took a sip from the whiskey, placing it down on the table.

"Do you remember the original Bakumatsu, my friend? When the Tokugawa Shogunate was replaced in favor of an empire led by Emperor Meiji? It was a clash between old and new. When the two meet, the old ways must inevitably give way to their modern counterparts. However, as history has taught us, that meeting is often marred by chaos, conflict, and bloodshed. The blood of the elderly will always water the furrows of the newer generations. But before this could be accomplished, the Imperial faction had to open up to the world and modernize. Abandon the foolish pretensions of the feudal samurai code, and accept that the world had changed. To drop the katana meant to pick up the rifle. And to fight with the gun meant to claim victory," he explained. He took another sip, then continued.

"Allow me to give you another tale. A man by the name of Masataka Taketsuru once traveled to a distant land to bring a foreign drink to Japan. He wished to bring the world to Japan, even though many despised such an act. With his learning from abroad and enough tenacity, Masataka was able to not only prosper but he created a brand of whiskey that was enjoyed all over the world. By bringing the world to Japan, he brought Japan to the world."

Izanagi pondered the stories for a moment, before giving a nod of understanding.

"If we wish to emulate the success of Emperor Meiji and not the failure of the Tokugawa, we must transform ourselves and modernize. And in order to learn and change, we must travel far and wide to gain the knowledge and resources to commit to such a grand undertaking."

Sora snapped his fingers. "Exactly. Izanagi-san, if I may give one order to you, it is that you prepare a civilian freighter for a small crew and I. We shall begin laying the groundwork for our quest to transform the Dragons, and hopefully, Kusari. And contact Kaito Fujimoto, if he is still alive. The man was most loyal to me during my rule," he commanded.

With that, Izanagi-san stood up, bowed, and headed outside to make preparations. Sora was left to contemplate the future on his own. Were the Blood Dragons even truly fit to govern Kusari? The people never truly rose up over the destruction of the Hideyoshi Shogunate. They were content enough to live out their lives in peace and prosperity. It mattered little if Kishiro, Samura, or any other entity governed over that harmony. To evolve with the changing world, Sora felt the Dragons needed to change drastically. Feudal fantasies no longer had a place in the House of Kusari. The time to reevaluate the ideology, change the culture, restructure society, and modernize the military of Hideyoshi's champions had come. Despite his outwardly calm demeanor, Sora still held a deep resentment for those who opposed his reforms and leadership. And in time, he hoped that he would be able to avenge himself.

He hoped that the Blood Dragons would remember well the name of Hideyoshi Yoshitsune.