Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Research, Rug-Rats & Romance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Chapter III: Discoveries and breakthroughs

Yuma Robotics HQ, Central Dome, New Astarte, Planet Yuma, Coronado

4 Sept. 824 A.S.

Erik was slightly startled, albeit pleasantly, by Doreen's discreet greeting. He turned his head for a moment and welcomed her with a smile, quickly returning to the analysis he was conducting. It had become rather enjoyable to see Doreen often come to the lab and engage in studies along with the team. It felt like she started to become part of the crew.

"I'm just saying - no matter how much you enhance the production, there's a limit to how fast cellular construction can happen without breaking the DNA." - Catherine was saying, just as Doreen approached her and Samantha.
"Dr. Valders," the doctor asked, "what sub-routines are you using? I don't know much about that aspect of things but stem-cell generation has a few different mediums to which can be used including nuclear medicine and bone marrow."
Samantha giggled for a second, then replied "I meant code-based routines, as in programmed software, doctor. You see, the equipment we use needs to be programmed to work, since these nanites function based on a raw form of artificial intelligence." - she stopped to take a sip from a cup of coffee and realised she's was being rude - "Oh, I'm sorry, would you like some coffee before I go on?"

She swiftly resumed her explanation though "I recently developed an algorithm that should, in theory, double the stem-cell production rate by using half-developed stem-cells as raw material to construct new ones."
"Oh, I'm sorry, would you like some coffee before I go on?"
"I would love some, thanks. I'll get it," she answered. She poured her coffee with just a little sugar and went back to the team.
It was obvious, Doreen wasn't real tech savvy but she got a general idea of things.
She had a perplexed look on her face as she cocked her head a bit and held her coffee mug by her shoulder, "I always thought......." Then she shook her head and continued, "....never mind. I'm thinking therapy. I learned through the use of bone morrow and nuclear medicine. I'll just watch and learn."
She took a seat, watching the team work. How one re-created stem cells from stem cells she had no idea. As she sat, her com badge signaled.
"Dr. Naggar, please call surgery on a secure frequency," was the request. She rose and went away from the team.
"So what's up?" she asked.
She was informed of a captured Gallic Royal pilot, badly injured and in critical condition. If treatment was given, the pilot would die and no one on the staff would work on the pilot. She gave a concerned look toward Erik and sighed. She didn't dare tell him.
"I'll be right there," was all she said as she left for surgery.

She arrived to find two security guards standing over the unconscious pilot and medical people acting as if he wasn't there. She examined the pilot, pushing the guards out of her way as she became angry that so many in her staff ignored the oath they took. He was dying. Looking at some around her, she instructed them to scrub up.
They ignored her.
"I said, scrub up, Dammit!" she hollered. Only one nurse did. She then said, "so be it."
She went into surgery with only one assistant. As she operated, she spoke a lot under her breath to everyone.
"You people took a Hippocratic Oath and ignored it. I guess that makes me better than all of you."
Within an hour, the pilot was stabilized. When she came out, she told the guards that when he woke up, they might be able to get some intel out of him. She then looked at those around her, "I bet none of you considered that fact now did you? I saved not an enemy but a human being that might give useful information." She pointed at the pilot, "Because we...I mean I...saved him, he might be more willing."
She cleaned up and retreated to her office to calm herself.

4 Sept. 824 A.S.

Doreen's sudden rush out of the lab wasn't too inconspicuous, and everyone was a bit confused by it. Still, most assumed it must have been a medical emergency, so nobody bothered to stop her and ask. They just got back to their respective tasks, while Catherine was a bit annoyed by this turn of events. She had been hoping to have Doreen's help today with the stem-cell generation process. Alas, she had no choice but to start building a digital render of the process and see if - at least in theory - it would be anywhere near viable, and she'd work on it with Doreen the next time they'd come together.

New Hipppocrate, Planet Yuma, Coronado

4 Sept. 824 A.S.

About 20 minutes after the Gallic pilot's surgery had been finished, while Doreen was still in her office, the door opened suddenly, but silently - no knock, no announcement beforehand. A mid-height woman with black hair and a colour-matching leather jacket entered, with nothing but a number on her shoulder to signify who she might be - 205th. After closing the door, she swiftly approached Doreen's desk, her walking giving off signs of military training, and spoke on a bleak tone, lacking any variation "Doctor Naggar, your decision was commendable, your skills even more so. We had hoped you would rise to this challenge if and when it appeared.

By saving the life of that Gallic soldier you've done a great service to the Republic and created a rather rare opportunity. Unfortunately, there are many a Crayterian, even medics, who harbor too much hate for the enemy to be able to do what you did. I won't ask you to excuse them, but I would recommend you don't see them as ill-intended. This war has taken much from many of our citizens, and it's only human to be reluctant in such a situation."

The woman paused for a second, took out a paper from the inside of her jacket and placed it on the desk, then resumed talking "As to my reason for being here, I'm am to inform you that your patient is being transferred to a secure facility, for both his and others' safety. Rest assured, he will not be harmed.

Good day, doctor."
- she nodded.
Before she could receive any kind of proper response, the woman left as quickly as she came in. The paper she left on Doreen's desk just had a governmental seal on the outside. The inside was a brief explanation regarding the switch in jurisdiction over the Gallic pilot, from the medical staff to the Crayter Intelligence Service, with the entire situation being approved.

Doreen returned to the lab. To her liking, they were still hard at work. She was still annoyed by her staff's reaction but considering what she was told, she was in the process of letting it go. Her annoyance was evident by the absence of a smile when she returned. She took her seat again by Catherine and simply asked, "So where are we?"

Her mind was only partially on the project but enough to maintain focus. She did what she could to help the team and pick up some knowledge. In the back of her mind was the fate of even an enemy. She hadn't even released him from the hospital. Would he be any safer there than in her care? She remembered the fates of many an opposition to Corsairs in Omega 49 during her internship but this was different. One side was conquesting to take everything as payment for sins past, the other preserving their very existence. For the rest of the day, it was consuming her but she pushed through it.

That night at home, she confided in an old friend after putting Benjen to bed. She also hoped that Erik wouldn't find out...although he probably would as word traveled quick. She knew little of his former wife, only that the Gallics killed her. So maybe the intelligence service was grateful to her but how would Erik feel? Sleep eluded her much that night.
Corvin Estate, New Thessalonica, Planet Yuma, Coronado

morning of 5 Sept. 824 A.S.

A long and lazy yawn would be heard as a small boy stretched his arms while walking down the stairwell and into the kitchen. Erik smirked and greeted him "Ain't you up early this morning...?"
"Mornin', dad. Yeah... " - he replied, still half-asleep - "Just wanted to see you before you go to work again."
Erik couldn't hold from feeling slightly ashamed at Peter's response. He had been quite busy this last week, especially due to Yuma Robotics daily crises, and had spent less time than usual with his son. His only consolation was that Peter spent enough time with Ben to probably make up for part of his absence. He just stroked the boy's head and offered him a cup of tea, with a salad and eggs for breakfast. As the two sat down, eating in silence, it was a serene moment that any father would cherish. Still, good things rarely last long, and one of the notification systems beeped spontaneously. After checking it, Erik perked up and got ready for work.

Before going off, he hugged Peter and said "It'll just be like this for a couple more days, everything's been a mess at the labs." - to which the boy nodded in understanding and then ran off to watch TV, until later when he'd probably meet up with Ben, one way or another.

While starting his flight towards New Astarte, Erik opened up a comm. on his holo-pad, sending a transmission to Doreen.
"Good morning!

You seemed rather off yesterday evening. I'm hoping no lives were lost or anything... Uhm... Anyway, I won't pry. There's something else I'd like to talk to you about. Peter told me the other day about a conversation he had with Ben. If you can drop by the Robotics HQ, I'll be there until after noon.

Got to go now, duty calls, sorry."
Naggar Residence, New Thessalonica, Planet Yuma

She checked her morning messages before she stirred up Benjen. To this point, the previous day was forgotten.

"Good morning!

You seemed rather off yesterday evening. I'm hoping no lives were lost or anything... Uhm... Anyway, I won't pry. There's something else I'd like to talk to you about. Peter told me the other day about a conversation he had with Ben. If you can drop by the Robotics HQ, I'll be there until after noon.

Got to go now, duty calls, sorry."

She nodded. She was curious now. What did Ben tell Peter to get her into trouble? She would find out later for sure. With a snicker and a sip of coffee, she went into Benjen's room and sat on the side of his bed.
"Wake up, Honey," she told him. He only moaned.
"You better wake-up....or else!" she told him with an evil grin. He just pulled the sheets tight over his head.
"That's it!" she warned. She proceeded to tickle him. He was rolling around to escape but couldn't. Through his giggles, he woke up only to try and tickle his Mom back. His attempt only resulted in more tickling.

After they settled, she asked him what he wanted for breakfast.
"Eggs, toast and some sausage," he said, "and a tall glass of milk."
"Coming up," she said. She left for the kitchen and made breakfast for the both of them while he got ready for his day.
Over breakfast, they discussed the week of work and school. To him, her work was interesting but he didn't dig deep into it but she always took interest in his studies. She was proud of her son and he was proud of his Mom. Of course, no chat was complete without an inquiry about Peter since they were best friends.

She walked him to school. She hugged her son in front of the door.
"I love you, Mom," he said to her.
She could only smile, "I love you too." She watched him walk into school as she did each morning and then went to her office.

The day before wasn't discussed and her staff didn't "hate" her for her actions. For now, things were back to normal. With no surgeries scheduled for the day, she headed for Erik's office.

5 Sept. 824 A.S.

Around 10:05 - after another early urgency at the HQ, Erik was settling some papers at his desk. The hydro-lab had caught fire today, ironically, because one of the old firefighter drones had malfunctioned.

His hair was already a mess after having to help a technician disable the glitch-y drone, and his attire wasn't much better off. Luckily, he had had the good instinct of not wearing a suit. He was already feeling like this would end up being an exhausting day. He was looking over a set of data on some other project with some annoyance lingering... when the elevator arrived at his office. What now...? he thought, however his face lightened up a bit when he saw Doreen entering the office.

"Hello! I'm glad you had time to stop by." - he commented while rising from his chair and attempting a smile.

[Image: 1805e4e0abe33bea1369f05b6ed30514--isla-f...autumn.jpg]

"Good Morning, Erik," she kindly said to him. She looked around at the mess that was now his lab. Soot from a fire and Erik was a bit of a mess himself but, she like it. She found it rather cute. She only chuckled a bit. Dressed in a violet chiffon stand neck blouse, she felt a bit over dressed for the occasion but it was also common work attire for her. She took a seat.
"You did say that you wanted to see me this morning," she stated with a look of concern, "is everything OK?

5 Sept. 824 A.S.

"is everything OK?
Erik huffed quietly and replied "It could be better... I'm pretty swamped with putting out fires - even literally." - he chuckled as he added his last few words, mainly trying to put a positive light on the mess of things happening at HQ.

He sat back down and settled his shirt a bit, then continued with a full smile this time "Not why I called you here though. Apparently ..." - he started grinning - "... our boys aren't spoiled enough."
After a loud chuckle, he tempered himself and went on "Right. I'm joking. The thing is, Peter told me he and Ben want to celebrate their friendship so far, along with the fact that you and Ben have been living here for a month now."

He paused, his face showing a sort of wonder.
"Come to think of it... that's right, it's been a month since you settled here, hasn't it?" The realisation made him quite intrigued. Doreen had so far become a respected colleague for him, and even a good friend in some ways. More than that though, ever since she came into his life, he's had one too many moments when he felt a... unique kind of content.
She relaxed in her seat and crossed her left leg over her right. She was a bit perplexed as she thought a moment.
"My goodness we have been here a month," she thought aloud, "Keeping busy I guess I never gave it much thought."
She gave a chuckle as she smiled a bit, "So our children want to celebrate. I sort of thought that they did that every time they played together." She thought again for a moment and smacked her hand on the arm of the chair she was sitting in.
"Damn!" she semi-shouted, Ben's tenth birthday is in a few days. I've been so busy I haven't had time to think about it or get him a present." She shot up to her feet, turned around, her back toward Erik, placed her hands on her hips and threw her head back, "Uuuuggghhhh!"
She turned back around, "I never forget his birthday." She then went a bit somber, "Not that it's a big celebration as it's always been the two of us since he was born."

She put her hands behind her back and walked over to a window in thought. The only people she knew were co-workers. Yes, Peter would make it better. Somehow, she thought, Peter's birthdays weren't much better. Like her, Erik was a single parent and a hard working professional. The difference? She had only filed her papers recently for citizenship. Erik had always been one.
Still facing the window and her arms crossed, she spoke aloud to him, "Perhaps you might have an idea of how or where I can make his birthday better. I mean, I just don't know the area that well yet."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28