Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Kyle Cross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

ENCRYPTION LEVEL: High

[Image: gwLyK5U.png]

:::ACCESS GRANTED:::
FINALIZING IDENTIFICATION PROCESS ... PLEASE WAIT ...

• »»» Location: :::Encrypted:::
  • »»» Sender ID: Elena Voigt
  • »»» Recipient ID: Kyle Cross

Dear Mr. Cross,

You may or may not remember who I am, but this is not truly of importance right now anyways. I guess you will be surprised to hear from me in case you do remember, and so am I surprised that I am messaging you. I wouldn't, if I didn't feel the obligation to do so.

Kiara Garlow, friend of mine and girlfriend of yours as far as I am still aware, is currently MIA. Since I am not sure how many of her other friends knew about your relationship, I think it's solely up to me to inform you about the sad circumstances. Her vessel was found in Tau-37 yesterday, without any energy, life support or life signs. No sign of her whatsoever. Investigations are on the way already.

Mr. Cross, we didn't get along swimmingly when we met, but you can trust me that we will do our best to find out about the exact circumstances of this tragedy, and whether there is still hope concerning her aliveness.

Yours sincerely,
Elena Voigt

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
INCOMING TRANSMISSION...

Comm ID: Kyle Cross
Encryption: Enabled
Message Type: Voice only

*A sigh can be heard* You... took me by surprise here, Ms. Voigt. I knew something wrong happened the moment Kiara stopped responding to my messages. However, I hoped that it wasn't something like 'that', because the last time we talked she did mention being in a bad mood... *The voice pauses for a few seconds*

Anyway... Thanks for letting me know. I actually went to Liberty, hoping to ask the local Trenton and Newark crowd about Kiara's whereabouts. But judging from what you've told me, Malta might be a better place to start the search. I'll go back and ask around. It is probably going to be a search for a needle in a stack of cardamine grass, but it's worth a try.

I'll return the favor and let you know if I hear any news about Kiara. And if you do find her first... please let me know... no matter how bad the news might be. Cross out.

TRANSMISSION TERMINATED
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

Dear Mr. Cross,

As I have not heard from you so far, I assume you haven't heard the latest news yet. On the one hand, I am more than relieved to tell you that it has come to our knowledge that Kiara is indeed still with us. A few days ago, we've got word that she is still alive, luckily. On the other hand, I am quite sure you can already guess what's the fly in the ointment like. Her current conditions seem to be ... less pleasant, to word it nicely.

She is currently being held hostage by a slave trader as far as we know. By now, we have already received a ransom demand in order to procure her release out of those people's clutches. I am sure however you will understand our hesitancy concerning dealing with such filthy criminals that way.

Whatever you do, I want you to know that the situation is nonetheless well under control. A plan is already in the making to free Kiara out of captivity. If we need anything the least, then it is rash, imprudent decisions. I could understand you if you wanted to deal with those bastards all by yourself, however your girlfriend's life is at hazard, so please restrain yourself from acting on your own in this case.

For once, I am afraid you will have to trust me.

Yours sincerely,
Elena Voigt

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
INCOMING TRANSMISSION...

Hello again, Ms. Voigt. Sorry for a slight delay, I needed to come to my senses. I was silent because I couldn't find anything so far. And you're right, I haven't heard the news, because I didn't receive any demands. Apparently Kiara knew that your organization had a lot more money or power than I could hope to accumulate. If anyone can free Kiara, it's probably you.

Also, I'm smart enough to hold off my vendetta until Kiara is safe. But once she's free, no promises. However, if you need any help, do let me know. Until then, I'll indeed have no other option but to rely on you, so please make sure you do whatever it takes to get this over with, and without Kiara getting killed or maimed by that slaver scum.

For the time being, it's best to keep me out of the loop about who exactly kidnapped Kiara. But if your plan doesn't work out, I want names and places.

TRANSMISSION TERMINATED
INCOMING TRANSMISSION...

Hey, I just called to check up on how the whole rescue thing is going. I know you said the situation was "well under control", but we both know it's just a cliche, eh? And frankly, all the wait is killing me... I mean, not being able to do anything, not even knowing where exactly Kiara is and who exactly we're up against.

I gave it a thought and it occurred to me: you don't deal with criminals, and criminals don't usually deal with lawful mercs, but the Outcasts are a different story. Whoever the guy is, he might be more receptive to someone who considers Malta home. I know you have your doubts about me being involved, but I know that just finding that guy and barging in wherever he is is the worst thing to do.

Bluntly, I need whatever info you have about Kiara. Otherwise I'll be off to some wild goose chase and might inadvertently mess it all up. The more I know, the better decisions I can make. I know you'll understand, and I'm looking forward to your reply, and hopefully, the intel.

TRANSMISSION TERMINATED
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

Dear Mr. Cross,

So far, the whole contact with the slaver I told you about has confined itself to some sabre-rattling with a bunch of implicit threats, which I however try not to take too serious. I have difficulty staying calm in this situation just as much as you have, I must confess. While stating that the situation is fully under our control would be far from reality, I can assert you that we are currently gathering our forces and allies while planning a well-timed trap to set an end to this person's slavery once and for all. If everything goes well, Kiara should be in our hands soon again.

There is however no certainty, and I am aware that we are playing with risks here. My instincts tell me to pay that ransom, but my rationality knows that criminals should under no circumstances be trusted (this is not meant as an offense, naturally), and their attempts to try and manipulate your decision are to be disregarded at all cost. If we paid the exorbitantly high ransom, we would risk being fooled in an almost lampooning way.

The man we are speaking about is a Gaul, a high tier in the so called Gallic Brigands. However, we don't know where said man is exactly located, neither how much power he holds. We are in the process of finding that out. As soon as we do, be sure that we will take according steps to make an example of this bastard.

Maybe a last resort of ours could lay in your knowledge of the slavery routes from Gallia to Malta. If we should fail at negotiating with him and he sends her off to Malta, perhaps you would be able to intercept the transport before it reaches Omicron Alpha?

Yours sincerely,
Elena Voigt

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
INCOMING TRANSMISSION...

Brigands, huh? Well, that narrows down the possible search area. If anything, I know where I'll be going should... this thing go sideways. You're right not to trust that Gaul, criminals aren't to be trusted, and slavers even more so. And I didn't take offense, because 'criminal' is relative, and I don't really count myself as such anyway.

What does concern me is that I didn't see anything about rescuing Kiara, rather about revenge. So far I don't see how even you can pull that off. An ambush means that he'll either have Kiara with him, or that she'll be hidden somewhere else. Either way implies that she'll be in danger and it'll all end up with gunpoint diplomacy. Trust me, I want nothing more than to end that guy myself, but this requires a deft touch. Basically, I'd point a gun at him only when I know that Kiara is safe. Consider that when you devise your plan.

That's exactly the same reason why 'intercepting the transport' isn't really an option. Anyone coming to Alpha from Gallia would have to pass through Omicron Tau; it's probably the fastest route. Sure, we'd know the place, but not the time and the ship. And intercepting that ship with Kiara aboard is just as risky, because the Brigands could use her as a bargaining chip, knowing that you want to free her and keep her unharmed.

By the way, the ransom was exorbitantly high because he knows that you care. If he ends up going with Kiara to Omicron Alpha, he probably would't get a nearly as much as what he may've asked from you. But he doesn't know Kiara has friends there, so he wouldn't ask the same amount from, say, another Outcast. Should Kiara end up on Malta, I could help you get her out of there without spending nearly as many credits and drawing attention.

In short, our last resort may lie in the fact that the man who kidnapped Kiara doesn't know about me. Even if he does, he probably doesn't have my picture, and I can alter my name and appearance. I know that at least some Brigands did business with the Outcasts in the past, and some may keep doing it now. If anyone can get close to Kiara and keep her safe while you deal with that scum, that's probably me.

This is why I ask you to provide all the information about the guy as soon as you get it.

TRANSMISSION TERMINATED
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

Dear Mr. Cross,

Have trust in the plan we have devised, it will prove to be successful. While we will undeniably take some chances, we would have to do that one way or another anyways.

Apologies for getting carried away by thoughts of revenge, preserving Kiara's life will of course be of top priority. However I would like to avoid her being transported to Planet Malta if at all possible. There are so many variables that would have to be accounted for, and chances that she would end up somewhere on Malta, already being bought by somebody else, without you being able to track her down, would be far too high. Not to mention that said Gaul might suit the action to his word and prefers organ trade over selling her off as a slave instead. We are no Frankensteins who would go and patch up her limbs together again.

Don't worry, we will play it as safe and sound as possible, but in the end I am afraid it will boil down to gunpoint diplomacy. However, you could call that our field of expertise if you wish. However, I will make sure to get back to you in case Kiara should really end up on Malta in whatever way. In such a case, you would probably happen to be the last way to get our fingers back on her. However we will still try our best to keep that from happening, especially since it would entail even more problems such as the inevitable addiction to Cardamine if she spends too much time on Malta.

That being said, the next time I am going to contact you, I will either need your help, will be able to tell you good news, or bad news if the plan went down the pan. However, I am optimistic, and I recommend you to think the same way.

Yours sincerely,
Elena Voigt

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
INCOMING TRANSMISSION...

You'll excuse me if I don't sit around and wait for some iffy plan to come to fruition while Kiara's life is at stake. I grabbed some equipment from my old Outcast military days and headed over to Gallia. Maybe I'll find something out on my own. I'm not going to use my real name or mention Kiara at all, if that's what you're worried about. If you run across an Outcast Sabre with Rheinland engines or see my face, pretend we never met, but try not to murder me. I'll return the favour.

By the way, I still hope to hear from you some intel about the guy who kidnapped Kiara, assuming you learn something else. If not, I'll just fumble in the dark and might mess something up. Keeping me in the dark won't do too much good, especially if 'the almighty plan' fails.

TRANSMISSION TERMINATED
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

Dear Mr. Cross,

After some time of pondering about your message, I must say I still don't understand in the least what you expect to achieve by flying around in Gallia in the most pointless of ways. I do understand your desire to change something about the current situation yourself, but must I remind you that you yourself said that you have no alternative but to rely on us? A pity that your view on that matter has changed. Whatever your questions might be you want to ask around Gallia, they will, with high certainty, raise suspicions.

I can tell you what doesn't do any good. Somebody who is trying to blackmail us to lay his hands on some information that may or may not even be useful for him, all while consciously risking somebody's life in doing so. That you are willingly fumbling around in the dark, knowing that you might mess something up, just to make us come out with information, is, and please excuse my wording, one of the most childish behaviors I have seen in a while.

Nothing is going sideways so far, quite the opposite, everything goes according to plan besides your sudden-like decision to meddle in this. I can only repeat myself. In case this goes sideways, I know who to contact, but for now I don't consider it guaranteed you would not start goofing around more if you got a name. So far you have proven me right.

Yours sincerely,
Elena Voigt

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
Pages: 1 2