Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Prof. Nerva Regis 's Stories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
010010010110111001101001011101000110100101100001011101000110100101101110011001110010000001100011011011110110110101101100011010010110111001101011001011100010111000101110

01000001011000110111010001101001011101100110000101110100011010010110111001100111001000000111010101110011011001010111001000100000011010010110111001110000011101010111010000100000011010010110111001110100011001010111001001100110011000010110001101100101001011100010111000101110

01000001011001000110101001110101011100110111010001101001ing parameters...

Initializing secure line to Unity Navigator's computer...
Connection established.
Scanning for interference...
Scan complete: No interference.
Firewall activated.

The communication channel is ready.
Threat scan initiated.
[Image: r9XrZwM.gif]

Hey Nera, can you stop that annoying alert?

I cannot stop it, you programmed it to stay on when we are in such dangerous situations.

True, but when I wrote that condition I never thought that I would guide a dreadnought through an asteroid field for more that a couple of hours.
How many clicks until we get out of the asteroid field?

The distance to the edge of the field is 25.6 clicks. Taking in account Unity's size, we have 26.6 clicks until the ship is out of the field completely.

Override safety protocols using my emergency access codes

Override initiated... Waiting orders...

Disable all alerts, alarms and warning .

Bravo, Regis! You really a genius.
There should be a hammer around here....
Alarm speaker, HAMMER TIME!

ALERT!
Asteroid field dete...

Brute force, I thank you for the silence... so another 4 hours of travel through this stone hell...
Hopefully we will find a decent base where we can repair the hydroponics bay. I am tired of eating this abhorrent Synth Paste, I can't wait to cook a real meal using real ingredients.
One week later near Freeport-1

...interesting, quite interesting. It seems the new sensors installed on the satellite worked better than expected. On the other hand*looks at images with the satellite wreck* this one is beyond repair.

Nera, how many satellites are still transmitting data?

Two satellites are still sending data, but judging by the telemetry that we are getting...I must inform you that in a couple of hours only one will still be in functioning state.

Did we get enough data to create an accurate visualization of the neutron star?

We have enough information to create a simple model and perform several analyses.

But not enough to have the full picture of the phenomenon...

That is correct. Although, if the last satellite manages to stay online for another two days...

Well... luck was always on my side, especially during my childhood.

Nera?

Yes, Professor.

Are the Weather and Terrain satellite prototypes still working?

Yes, they are still transmitting data. Do you want me to compile the data and send it to your terminal?

No, not now. I think I will go work in propulsion laboratory for a while.

Unity's Propulsion Laboratory

Alright then...let's try to avoid any major accidents this time, Nerva.

Unity's Propulsion Laboratory

Great, now let's see if this thing works.
Nera, power up all the system on the ship.
All systems are online.
accessing power consumption console...
CONSOLE ACTIVE
If I press here... it should...
screen lights up
[Image: obBYoGQ.gif]

-Screen starts to flicker-

We are running out of power, the ship only had 10% energy after the last experiment.
Close all the nonessential systems.
That's it for today, I'll return when we are back to 100% power. .
Although I did not enjoy pushing the ship'systems that much, it was necessarily to find out if they can hold under so much stress.
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.
I don't know exactly where I read this, but I do know that it has remained engraved in my mind for as long as I will live.
Oh, this remembers me of the time I was studying at the New Tokyo University. I must admit that I was really shocked after seeing how calm and kind people were there.
Sometimes, it seemed that they would have so many things to anger them, but they would just utter a casual Shō ga nai and be about their business.
It was truly weird, I always thought of myself as being a calm and patient person, but compared to them I was closer to caveman rather than a modern human.
One day at a bar near the uni, I asked a good friend how can they be so calm in situations in which, truthfully I would have lost my goddamn mind.

After talking for several hours, he concluded that the phrase “shikata ga nai” was tantamount to “I can’t be bothered” or “we just have to accept it.” It implied much greater passivity than the French phrase “je m’en fou” which would translate as “I don’t give a damn about it” or “I couldn’t care less.”

For me it was always more on the lines of “It is what it is. We don’t always have control over our lives.”

Nevertheless, I do feel sorry that I haven't had more time to stay on New Tokyo. On the short time there, I forged lifelong friendships.

When I was about to leave on my long journey to Hamburg to work on another project, my group of friends came to see me off.
To my big surprise, they decide to give me a parting gift.

It was so hard to take care of it while I was traveling....

Professor we are back to 100%, every system is running at their full capacity.

Yes,yes... I'm coming back to work.

I wonder what would they say if they would see what has come of their gift...

[Image: 7xl4JzI.gif]

Nera, I'm coming to Hydroponics 2, send an robot there to help me.

A robot will wait you at the entrace.

Crowds cheering and applauding.

This is it Nerva, you finally got your recognition for all the work you did at Hamburg University.
OK, steady... Do no trip while climbing the stairs to the podium.
You go there, shake hands with the dean and you start your speech.

Shakes hands.
Receives diploma.

Awesome speech time.
Start with the pun. Just as you rehearsed.

I thought that you had to be a famous alumnus – alumini – aluminum – alumis – to graduate from a school like this o...
Huh?
Continue talking....
Flying duct tape?

Err in the direction of kindness. Do those things that incline you toward...
Why is the audience floating?

Suddenly wakes up.

Alert! Sleeping quarters gravity field is deactivated!

What? Wh...

Alert! Sleeping quarters gravity field is deactivated!

Nera, what is going on?

There has been short-circuit in section D4. Redirecting a robot aid to solve the issue.

There is no need for that. I'll go solve it, I think I know what the problem is.

As you wish.

Good job, Nerva! You should have fixed that power relay before you went to sleep!

[Image: bICDZFh.gif]

The Cross-Vandermeer comet from O3 - part 1

I should make this one just like when I was writing papers in college.

If I remember correctly, the word comet derives from the Old English cometa from the Latin comēta or comētēs. That, in turn, is a latinisation of the Greek κομήτης ("wearing long hair"), and that the term (ἀστὴρ) κομήτης already meant "long-haired star, comet" in Greek. Κομήτης was derived from κομᾶν ("to wear the hair long"), which was itself derived from κόμη ("the hair of the head") and was used to mean "the tail of a comet"

So... I started what we all knew: A very large comet, possibly a rogue planetoid, caught in the gravitational well of the Omega 3 star. Initial scans have revealed immense quantities of Cobalt locked under it's icy crust. Due to it's proximity to the star, the comet cannot be mined directly, but the star is slowly eroding the comet. The comet's tail contains small quantities, easily retrievable Cobalt.

Unity parking near the comet.
[Image: cH57wig.png]

First we deployed three of our new terrain satellites.
[Image: V9tO2lZ.gif]

Physical characteristics:
Nucleus - after deep scans, it seems that is formed out of pure cobalt.
Coma - the streams of dust and gas released form a huge and extremely thin atmosphere around the comet.
Tails - the cloud from which miners get the cobalt ore is actually the tail of the comet that behaves like the coma.

And now the weird part - the comet is sniping around its axis, but it does not move around its star in an orbit. No, it just stays there... and revolves...
and it does that really fast.

Here is what it should look like.
[Image: 2riojLn.gif]

The comet should revolve around the host star. If it does not do that, it should crash into the star.

An object's momentum and the force of gravity have to be balanced for an orbit to happen. If the forward momentum of one object is too great, it will speed past and not enter into orbit. If momentum is too small, the object will be pulled down and crash. When these forces are balanced, the object is always falling toward the planet, but because it's moving sideways fast enough, it never hits the planet. Orbital velocity is the speed needed to stay in orbit.

How orbits work
The drawings below simplify the physics of orbiting a Planet. We see a Planet with a huge, tall mountain rising from it. The mountain, as Isaac Newton first envisioned, has a cannon at its summit. When the cannon is fired, the cannonball follows its ballistic arc, falling as a result of Planet's gravity, and it hits the Planet some distance away from the mountain. If we put more gunpowder in the cannon, the next time it's fired, the cannonball goes halfway around the planet before it hits the ground. With still more gunpowder, the cannonball goes so far that it just never touches down at all. It falls completely around a planet. It has achieved orbit.

[Image: c1VMJ5S.gif]

If you were riding along with the cannonball, you would feel as if you were falling. The condition is called free fall. You'd find yourself falling at the same rate as the cannonball, which would appear to be floating there (falling) beside you. You'd just never hit the ground. Notice that the cannonball has not escaped the Planet's gravity, which is very much present--it is causing the mass to fall. It just happens to be balanced out by the speed provided by the cannon.
In the third drawing in the figure, you'll see that part of the orbit comes closer tot he Planet surface that the rest of it does. This is called the periapsis of the orbit. It also has various other names, depending on which body is being orbited. In the drawing, the mountain represents the highest point in the orbit. That's called apoapsis (apogee, apojove, aposelene, apolune, aphelion). The time it takes, called the orbit period, depends on altitude. At space a altitude of, let's say 200 kilometers, it's 90 minutes.

The cannonball provides us with a pretty good analogy. It makes it clear that to get a spacecraft into orbit, you need to raise it up (the mountain) to a high enough altitude so that the Planet's atmosphere isn't going to slow it down too much. You have to accelerate it until it is going so fast that as it falls, it just falls completely around the planet. In practical terms, you don't generally want to be less than about 150 kilometers above the surface of the Planet. At that altitude, the atmosphere is so thin that it doesn't present much frictional drag to slow you down. You need your rocket (or cannon) to speed the spacecraft up to the neighborhood of 30,000 kilometers (about 19,000 miles) per hour. Once you've done that, your spacecraft will continue falling around the Planet. No more propulsion is necessary, except for occasional minor adjustments. These very same mechanical concepts apply whether you're talking about orbiting the Planet the moon, the sun, or anything. Only the terms and numbers are different. The cannonball analogy is good, too, for talking about changes you can make to an orbit. Looking at the third drawing, imagine that the cannon has still more gunpowder in it, sending the cannonball out a little faster. With this extra speed, the cannonball will miss the Planet's surface by a greater margin. The periapsis altitude is raised by increasing the spacecraft's speed at apoapsis.

This concept is very basic to space flight. Similarly, decrease the speed when you're at apoapsis, and you'll lower the periapsis altitude. Likewise, if you increase speed when you're at periapsis, this will cause the apoapsis altitude to increase. Decelerating at periapsis will lower the apoapsis.

Professor, I have started creating a model of the comet.
Put it on my screen.

This is fascinating.

[Image: Y1wJa4v.gif]
Update #1

Data analysis complete.
Pre-Alpha state of the software.

[Image: 9TfQRH2.png]

Took some time off today.
Went to buy some stuff from Liberty and Bretonia.
The Corvo moves really nice for a ship of it's size.
[Image: Z2fvzkT.png]
These will help with the satellite repairs.
I'll also try the FloraGo thingy to see just how much it influences a small crop.

Got an older model of handheld camera from Manhattan.
[Image: PZzEN1A.gif]

Considering how old it is, this is actually decent quality.

Broadcasting on all frequencies

This is NERAI from the Research Ship Unity - Location: Omega-3

While prof. Nerva was recuperating in Medbay, we were attacked near Freeport-1 by what my scans showed to be Bretonia forces,
Unfortunately, my failure to address the incident, while I was trying to impersonate prof.Nerva, brought doom upon us.
I managed to transfer a part of myself into a service robot and move the prof. to our emergency escape ship.
Although its cloaking device gave us the opportunity to escape the enemy ships, the lack of medical equipment combined with the already fragile health state of prof. Nerva mean that his survival chances were 0.
With my last remaining energy I've set the course of the escape ship to intersect with the Omega-3 Sun.

This message was broadcasted on all frequencies, hopefully someone will hear it, and understand that some people are not interested in wars.

[Image: 2e1e3ae7ae28ff27a594670b76c8077e.gif]
To my dear Nerva Regis, wherever you might be, I hope you have found your perfect blossom.

Transmission ended

DANGER, ENTERING SUN CORONA!

I've always wanted to ask you what it meat to be alive, at least I will know what it means to die....
Pages: 1 2 3