Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Upgrades, New Friends and Some Rest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Tombstone Estate, Planet Gran Canaria, Omega 49 System

Eddie burst out laughing when Nerva slid him some cider. Once he settled down a bit, he said through his chuckles, "Professor, I like how you think." He took a swig of the cider before reviewing the info before him.
"Now, you want to mass produce these units," he began, "that's good BUT I think we should see what kind of takers there are for these items. I mean, you don't want to produce a hundred thousand of them to find out that ninety five thousand of them are collecting dust in a warehouse five years later because nobody wanted to buy them."
"And we should field test them first if you haven't done so already."

"Now," he continued after a sip of his cider, "I've been authorized to field test one of those surgical units aboard Med Force One. Mind you, Doc isn't keen on automation as he values his staff but he's open to trying one as well as one of your maternity units. Med stations, I think, would be best tested on the refugee colonies here on Gran Canaria and the med kits can easily be tested with away teams."
He then placed his hands on the counter and looked through his glasses, "Are you with me so far?"

Nerva finishes his drink, "Doc told me he is not that fond of automation, but I am really glad that there is someone in his team who...err...understands my automation interest."
He fills up his glass again " Damn, this cider is the best thing I have tasted in a while."

Nerva turns to Eddie, "Trust me, I am well aware that people are far better doctors than robots... But, we humans, get tired, and we are vulnerable. No one would cry over a destroyed android. Moreover...robots can't get infected, and they can go where humans cannot go."

"But now I am deviating from the subject, please continue." said Nerva.

"OK," he said as he slapped his hands on the counter in unison. It was evident. Eddie was enjoying himself in a professional kind of way.
"Now, I know of some new warehouses in Canaria City," he continued, "For now, a small one until we see how this goes. If we do it right, we can build up enough to start and IF we outgrow the warehouse then we still have it for storage or whatever as we expand but........" He paused a moment, "We're getting ahead of ourselves. Do you have enough made to appeal to a small market? Say, a small business or a larger group willing to field test them and give some feedback?"

"For the moment I have about 100 of each one of the portable ones, and about 50 of the stationary ones." said Nerva.
" Do you think that will be enough?" Eddie could see that he wanted to put everything into motion as fast as possible.

Eddie tapped his fingers for a moment on the counter, ran his lip over his teeth a couple of times and nodded, "I think that would be enough to appeal to a small market, an experiment to see how the product is received."
He thought again for a moment. "You offer some up on the neural net and see who might be takers on an experimental basis. A good field test will show where improvements need to be made, if any.
Also, build up about a dozen portables and as many stationary units. Med Force teams can field test the portable units and we can use the stationary ones over at the Port Jackson refugee colony."

He stood up and sipped his cider, "A three pronged approach. Field testing here and Med Force crews about Sirius and you testing the market. You like the idea?"

Nerva stood up, finished his drink and said " You know what? That's a perfect plan. I know the Administrator of Freeport 11, and I was in talks about installing my medical equipment on that base. Obviously, the medical teams from there were really happy to see that they will be getting some new equipment."

Nerva looks around and spots the bar. He quickly goes, grabs a bottle, and returns to Eddie " As for finding an organization to test our equipment" Nerva starts pouring sake in Eddie's empty glass " I have some friends in Kusari with whom I've fought against the Nomads. I think they will be really happy to test my equipment."

Nerva raises his glass "Kampai!"

Eddie nodded as he listened. He raised his glass to meet Nerva's and responded with a "Kampai" of his own before drinking the Saki.
He then smacked his lips, "That's a start. A couple of places that you know now, we need to try and see if someone that we don't know might take interest which is why I suggested advertising over the net....to see if there are any takers willing to try. It'll be a good marketing test."

"Now, I'd like to see the schematic on the operating, intensive care unit and of the maternity unit if you wouldn't mind."

Nerva slides over the media device that had some detailed schematics and some video recordings of his medical bays,

Eddie studied the schematic about the time Doc returned from downstairs.
"Hey, Doc, take a look at these," Eddie insisted. Both men studied them while Eddie explained things to him. "With our power problems solved, I think we can install one of each of these units on Med Force."
Doc scratched his chin in obvious question, "They would be quite an addition but automated surgery and such. I just have my doubts."
"Doc," Eddie replied quickly, one hand on Doc's shoulder, "the unit doesn't do the surgery itself, what it does do is allow for automated control of say, the administration of medicine to one recovering from surgery. Rather than having a whole staff watching over people, you could have one or two people monitoring things while those staff can be better used in the surgical ward. It won't take jobs from people."

Doc thought a moment. He weighed what he had heard versus what he felt. Machines were great. His Rejuventor was an example of one that turned out to be a great investment. He bobbed his head and replied to both Eddie and Nerva, "Install one of each unit. We will conduct trials on it and see how it goes. The instant it costs me personnel or costs a life, they are gone."
Eddie just looked at Nerva, smiling in satisfaction.

Nerva looked at Eddies smile and realized he might have found another one of those few persons on which he can count.
"There won't be any casualties, these are the same things that treated me when I was in need of medical attention."
Then he started thinking again about how nice everything was on this estate. You had fresh air, nature was everywhere.... it was everything a someone like him would like to own.... He then reminded himself that it was not the time to dwell on trivial matters.

Right when he wanted to say something about one of his next inventions, his stomach made a funny noise. Doc and Eddie looked at Nerva, then the looked at each other and they all started laughing.
"It happens to me as well. I get caught up is explaining ideas and I just forget to eat." said Eddie.
"Yeah, but your body does not." replied Doc. "I think we should go and eat something." continued Doc.
"I think there is no point in saying that I am hungry." said Nerva.

Then all three of them started going towards the kitchen while still laughing....
Pages: 1 2 3 4