Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: The Forlorn Hope, Agency 404
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: NZxLidO.png]
...incoming.transmission...directing.nodes...
...manhattan.relay...constellation.protocol.initiated...
...audiovisual..feed.only...

Friends,

It has been a couple of months since you've learned of Vergil. I'm curious what you've done with that time and how thoroughly you have tested this technology.

Professor Nagrebetskiy and myself have recently been thinking of how we may make sure that Vergil remains untainted by corporate hands and does not fall victim to mindless greed and profiteering. However before we share it we need to know how commited you are to preserving and popularising this technology.

Yours,
Fairchild

...sigterm...closing.uplink...
...disconnecting.relays...signal.shut.down...
...transmission.termiated...

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

ENCRYPTION LEVEL: High

[Image: ByHBBZY.png]

:::ACCESS GRANTED:::
FINALIZING IDENTIFICATION PROCESS ... PLEASE WAIT ...

• »»» Location: Haven
  • »»» Sender ID: Nick Stenn
  • »»» Recipient ID: Fairchild
  • »»» Subject: Vergil

Fairchild,

I was wondering when you would check in on us. As it stands, we've begun small scale production of the Vergil nodes, and have implanted several of our own volunteers with them. While we've gathered up about as much information from the tests we've preformed as possible, this technology, even in it's simplest form, is pretty advanced and not always easy for us to experiment with.

That said, early field tests have proved the Vergil Nodes working, and display clear results. Efficiency of pilots linked with their ships via a Vergil Network has increased by a minimum of 4%, with the most adaptive users displaying changes of up to 15%. In addition, the nodes are designed in such a way that updates to the baseline software are backwards compatible, so those implanted early on are on par with those implanted in the future.

Additionally, given the stability and results of the current Nodes, I have made contact with the SIS, ESRD and 404, in order to begin the spread of Vergil. So far the SIS has expressed interest, and their director is slated for a personal inspection in the coming week. Once we have established a working rapport with them, we'll be making direct contact with several Bretonian corporations, in an effort to ensure an equal spread of Vergil through military and civilian sectors.

However, it would seem you may be about to change the playing field on us, so I am eager to hear whats next. It is of course imperative that a tool as versatile as Vergil remains free from abuse.

Attachments:
None

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
[Image: 3WLlzhs.gif]

Agency 404

Transmission; Start
Identification: Director Avery Reeves
Encryption: Secure

initializing image feed...
image feed available...

[--------------------------------------------------------------]
[Image: upK8NWw.jpg]

Miss Fairchild,

Our sit-rep is as follows:

The technology you trusted us with has been divided into two models, as per Directorate orders, one for Agency-specific and Armed forces usage, the other for the civilian retail market. So far, Agency 404 has monitored two start-up firms in Liberty which have begun to produce various medical and convenience-based application for the technology, the latter of which is nearly out on the open Sirian market, while the former is still pending an actual test to certify safety of use on live patients.

Do not mistake the Agency as having made weaponized variations of your technology, the Agency-specific variation is purely a pilot-aid and allows direct control over a fighter-craft without any need for other physical instrumentation, yielding unexpectedly good results in a number of situations, initially field-tested against the Commune, a rabid group of Outcast raiders.

The variations that have nearly reached the civilian market are part of my personal investment portfolio and as such I'm carefully vetting the new investors. The medical application will gain its certification by this time next week and the convenience applications will be on the open market three days from now, the technology is not patented and will be open source for future developments.

If there are new guide-lines you have, we will be ready to adhere to them and modify our current approach accordingly.

Captain Stenn, Director Reeves,

Having in mind that our collective aim is to have Vergil spread to as many people and organisations and possible while limiting dangerous exploitation of the hardware, both the Professor and myself concluded that a centralised consortium, or foundation, needs to be created to enforce these principles. There needs to be an organ that can provide assistance in adopting Vergil in large-scale sustainable systems and support one of the greatest technology developments in human history.

The following are terms proposed by professor Nagrebetskiy regarding the widespread adoption of the Vergil hardware and software:
  • Vergil hardware (original nanite-bacteria hybrids, commonly known as Nodes) design is and will be open and free to use. All schematics, specifications, diagrams, designs etc. are public and may be accessed, used, modified and manufactured by anyone, commercially or otherwise. Any derivations based on the Vergil hardware design will be subject to these terms as well.

• The Vergil kernel (original system software powering Vergil Nodes) is and will be open and free to use. Source code of the software is public and may be accessed, used and modified by anyone, commercially or otherwise. Any derivations based on the Vergil kernel source code will be subject to these terms as well.

• The Vergil operating system (a modification of the nexOS free operating system) is bound by the license of nexOS (which is effectively the same as the point above).

• Any original Vergil user software is not bound by any license and may be distributed however the author pleases.

• Authors of any part of the Vergil project retain their copyright.

As long as the terms above are acceptable to you, I would like to invite both the Forlorn Hope and the Agency 404 to become the founding members of the Vergil Foundation and help shape the future of our technology.

Yours,
Fairchild

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

ENCRYPTION LEVEL: High

[Image: ByHBBZY.png]

:::ACCESS GRANTED:::
FINALIZING IDENTIFICATION PROCESS ... PLEASE WAIT ...

• »»» Location: Haven
  • »»» Sender ID: Nick Stenn
  • »»» Recipient ID: Fairchild
  • »»» Subject: Vergil

Fairchild,

Alright. I would be lying to say I'm not interested. I assume these terms are non-negotiable? If that is the case, keeping it both independent and accessible will be influenced by locations, and all that. Regardless of what you say, I can see the potential of this, and I don't aim to back out now. I'll gladly put the Forlorn forward as a founding member and supporting partner.

Attachments:
None

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
[Image: 3WLlzhs.gif]

Agency 404

Transmission; Start
Identification: Director Avery Reeves
Encryption: Secure

initializing image feed...
image feed available...

[Image: upK8NWw.jpg]

Miss Fairchild,

While the Directorate has consented to these terms, it has urged me to remind you that the combat-specific variations of Vergil developed by the Agency will not be made open source and will be retained for use by the Libertonian Armed Forces exclusively until deemed otherwise by the Libertonian Government.

This being said, we have no concerns with making the civilian variations of the technology open source.

I hope this proves sufficient for you, if there is anything we must clarify from our end, please do not hesitate to ask.

Dear friends,

I suppose that covers it then. i will forward you the manifesto once it's prepared to be released to the public.

Yours,
Fairchild