Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Hector Beltran, CC: TBH Leadership
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 9709c97fb0.gif]
::: OPENING SECURE CHANNEL :::
::: INCOMING TRANSMISSION :::
::: SENDER - FINN MCCOOL :::

Hello Hector -

Much time has passed since we last spoke with eachother, though I do remember our discussions being pleasant and positive in nature. I've always counted yourself and the Brotherhood as reliable and friendly during our interactions, including the multiple drinking matches with some of your boys.

Regardless, as evident by this comm, I am back amongst the living. Not dead as presumed by so many after my capture by the Core. Still trying to remember all that transpired, though sadly it's still a blur during the months I was held.

Needless to say, after being released, I've been gathering information on recent events, and... it's fascinating to see what can happen in such a relative short amount of time. Most notable was when I was informed that the IRG have been declared enemies of the Corsair empire. While I have not resumed my position as head of the IRG, I still care about the research organization I founded years ago, even if my role with them is now more of a consultant rather than a leading figure.

Might I ask what happened, and why the IRG are labelled as such? I've heard bits and pieces, but it's all very muddled and given our history, I assume I would get a clearer picture from you.

I await your response, and hopefully I can gain more understanding on the situation at hand.

- Finn.

[Image: JSrDc7m.gif]

[Image: av-328661.png]
Sender: Luciano Vasquez, The Brotherhood
Encryption: Mucho strong
Recipient: Finn McCool
Topic: IRG Relations

Saludos Senor Finn,

I do believe we have not met before, so let me introduce myself, I am Luciano Vasquez, and after Hector disappeared about a month ago, Consul of The Brotherhood and Elder of Corsair people, which is why I am answering these message instead of Hector. Now, I wouldn't think you've had the best of times in the Cores... hospitality, nor do I wish to have to re-explain our issues with the IRG when they have already been well explained, so I will be brief in my reply, and ask you to take a read through the communication channels that I'll be attaching to this reply, and you can see for yourself what rash actions Erzie has done for IRG be marked as enemies of the Corsair Empire, and some of the fallout that it has caused between the Corsair Empire and Zoners of all stripes. Since you, unlike your successor, seem like a reasonable guy, if you have any further questions, ask them here and I'll try find the time to answer them.

Respetuosamente,

L. Vasquez

The Brotherhood
Planet Crete, Sparta

Transmission Terminated...

Good day Mr. Vasquez -

The news of Hector's disappearance is troubling. Seems the Omicrons are all about disappearances these days unfortunately. A shame to hear, and you have my condolences.

With regards the information you provided. I will first off like to extend my apologies for some of the actions presented, even if I am no longer leading the IRG at this present time. Those member's words were a little quick to jump the gun so to speak. There are some inconsistencies I'd like to address if you are willing. More for a better understanding, rather than assigning blame and pointing fingers.

First, your logs regarding the attack at Port Carthage. Your guncams are hard to discern who is shooting what, and unfortunately don't show who was the aggressor, only showing the middle of a fight. The IRG did request you leave, though in a more aggressive tone than not. I also do not see any words of attack confirming that they initiated the fight. Do you have any other recordings of the incident beyond just words asking you to leave? I also have heard though that the Corsairs did mount an attack on the station, believing it to be a Core facility rather than a neutral Zoner station. Do you mind providing some info on this? If that is the case, I'd unfortunately have to agree that Corsair warships at a Zoner facility with the aim to destroy or incapacitate it would warrant stronger words. But I could very well be wrong, hence asking for clarification. I am aware that you believe that the Core will use this to their advantage having assisted in it's construction, and I myself am weary of such. But given all that has transpired, we Zoners are not in a position to continue fighting wars. Diplomacy and ways to avoid bloodshed will always be on the forefront of our dealings. While I may not agree that the Core are the best to make deals with, I must also acknowledge that Zoners would not have survived much longer with the continued assaults and the lack of assistance from our allies. Again, not blaming anyone nor pointing fingers, more acknowledging the situation that fell on the Zoners living in the Omicrons.

Secondly, although minor, you make mention of the IRG Administrator of Freeport 11. Surely this information has been rectified and cleared, as IRG have never held an administratorship position on Freeport 11, and Mr. Akibara is not of the IRG. I would hope this is still not being used against the IRG. The Corsairs also claim that the facility was built between IRG and Core. As stated by Mr. VonCloud, that is simply not true. As stated in the distress message, IRG provided support under it's construction. But so did the OSI, and the entirety of the CoF. Why then is the IRG being singled out in this regard? IRG as Zoners of course will provide support for a Zoner installation. My records indicate supplying laboratories and medical facilities on board the station. Surely that does not equate, and I quote, "The IRG had a major hand in the Zoner-Core adventure." Only one mention of the IRG in those comms, and only to indicate IRG AND OSI played a supportive role, yet IRG are taking the blame for such. Is there a reason for such rash conclusions against the IRG?

Thirdly, relocating your vessels without permission by itself is ill-advised and one I would have harsh words with were I still in a leadership position. But I am trying to make sense of the screens you provided. The first record does indeed indicate the Omega-49 system. What it does not show though is the IRG vessel you claim to have jumped you there in proximity. Given the close proximity to one of your battleships that once frequented Omega-49, that recording could have been taken at any time with your vessels heading towards or away from your vessel in the nearby systems. The next recording shows you in the Pennsylvania system, where the recorded conversation plays out. Now, per the logs it did seem like the IRG member in question did only wish to talk, though I will agree the methods to get a conversation started was poorly done - but again, that begs the question as to the conflicting images?

Lastly, I am aware of the fact that members of the IRG have a sour taste with regards the Corsairs when, after many discussions and meetings between myself and others, the Corsairs captured and pirated an IRG vessel carrying IRG Power Cells. As the inventor of such cells, I was aghast when I heard that the Corsairs justified such actions and claimed the IRG were carrying weapons of mass destruction. Especially when the amount equated to nearly a billion credits worth of materials on it's way to Livadia. While yes, these were being transported through Gamma, we've never had issue before when transporting our goods, and had an authorized member of the Corsairs be directed to examine and have a walk through of our achievements, we would have provided evidence that these were not weapons, but power cores. To claim that they are weapons would mean that any fuel or power source is a weapon. While technically true that any power source could be utilized in such a way, most would not call a battery or a power core a "weapon". Surely the Corsairs do not consider the power cores providing energy for your vessels as weapons on their own? I would appreciate more understanding regarding this decision as well if you may.

As I mentioned, I ask these questions not to place blame, but to gain a better understanding and hopefully move forward and not wipe away years of work together during my team founding and leading the IRG.

I appreciate your willingness to discuss these matters, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With respect,
- Finn.

Saludos Senor Finn,

I see you've read through the reports quite carefully. The IRG actions, or perhaps, should I say Erzie's actions, have been quite the annoyance recently.But to start with, Port Carthage. Since they first started as Bounty Hunters, the Core has been nothing but a thorn in our side, and when we, the Council of Elders were told they were involved in constructing an extension to the Freeport, well, I think you can see why we wouldn't trust them. We may not rely on Freeport 11 for many of our supplies, but the neutrality of a Freeport is one of the few things keeping them safe, and while it does not surprise me that OSI and IRG were involved in the construction, I am surprised that they would've worked with the Core like that. So, the base had to go, as the Council did want to risk letting the Core gain a stranglehold on the regions economy, or a new base to patrol out of. Perhaps a bit unfortunate a loss for Zoners, but I'm sure you've gained a lot of rebuilding experience already, and that as you must've seen, we have undergone a few... negotiations around any reconstruction attempts.

As for Ex-administrator Akibara, I still not sure why the rest of Council of Elders wanted him removed, as my few interactions with him painted him as a sensible and reasonable man. In fact, Senor Akihara was there before Erzie first, to my knowledge at the time, abducted our ships to Omega-49. You have my apologies for the lack of recordings there- I believe something in the jumping process must've done something to our black boxes... So... I would see no reason why Senor Akihara could not return, if he wished to, although I beleived the Order made several demands against him too... Nevertheless, after a bit of investigation, we learned that the IRG had also been abducting our ships that were doing them no harm at all. While I still dispute the necessity of the first one- We were outside the NFZ, and Senor Akihara had even noted that too. Yet Erzie went ahead and sent our ships to Omega-49. And in this other incident, a Corsair warship was sent from Cambridge to Pennsylvania, in Liberty of all places! Getting that ship back home was no easy task, and it goes to show how little of a regard Erzie has for the supposed "neutrality" of a Zoner faction.

And finally, the power cores. It is no doubt of mine that that is when thing become troublesome between our people. I had little to no involvement in the incident, being busy elsewhere in the Omegas, but I think we both know that calling the power-cells bombs was an.. exaggeration of their capabilities, yet from my understanding, it was the IRG ship's captain that started that line of thought, which lead to our pilot deciding that the Empire would be safer if such dangerous goods were in the Empires hands. And yet, after some negotiations, the Brotherhood was more than willing to return, at first 10, but eventually all but one of the cells, as a gesture of good will, if only last one would be unlocked, for humanitarian and agricultural uses on Crete. And yet, Erzie refused to work with us, despite the generosity of our offer and our previous cooperation defending Freeport 11. I find this behavior strange, senor Finn- despite all the emphasis on their value, Erzie was dead set against any negotiations or a show of faith between us.

It is my thoughts that Erzie's judgement is clouded by thoughts of distrust and even hate towards myself and my people. Anyone who thinks that we are, to quote his own words, "scum" shall have no place in our Empire. So long as I am convinced of this, and he continues to be the director of IRG, I cannot see us being able to again trust the IRG to be within our Empire either. I hope this has cleared up the situation somewhat, and shown you why we have done what we have done.

Respetuosamente,

L. Vasquez

The Brotherhood
Planet Crete, Sparta

Hello Mr. Vasquez -

I am most appreciative of the thorough response to my inquiries, as well as the amiable words used. Perhaps it is my jaded past when dealing with unknown persons, that I had assumed the response would've been reduced to "Go screw yourself" for having any association with the IRG. Glad I'm in the wrong!

Now, onto your points. With Port Carthage, I can see your viewpoint, and one I agree with. I must also share the other side. Adjacent to the vast help we have received from the Corsairs, the Core were a daily threat. One that neither the Order nor the Corsairs could afford to push back every day in defense of Freeport 11 and her citizens. That is not to lessen the help received, but to more reinforce that the resources needed to defend daily attacks is one that I doubt the Corsair Empire or the Order would be able to afford or be willing to provide. As the turmoil grew, from what information was passed to me, guns were not going to save more lives. Negotiations needed to happen. While I was shocked and surprised at the news that Zoners were in talks with the Core, if we were to continue our existence in the Omicrons, we couldn't do so with guns raised or rely on our allies to constantly provide resources to our aid. The new Guildmistress though was an old acquaintance, and while I was also shocked at her appointment in the Core, past interactions proved to me that she was far more reasonable than the past Guildmasters before her. I may not agree with the choices made in my absence, but I can see their side and why they chose the path we are now on.

Regarding the power cores, I again see both sides. For the pilot to erroneously state that the cells were bombs is a gross mis-representation of their true potential, as I am sure you are aware. But given such words, it is not surprising that they would be confiscated given the threat assumed at the time. On the flip side, the IRG is a business. A research Institute that, when I founded it years ago, worked to provide revolutionary advances for not only Zoners across Sirius, but the public as well. As a business, the IRG is not some small, ragtag group of people whom can be pushed around from anyone. Having established state of the art Corporate offices in the heart of Sirius, with multiple facilities throughout free systems, we have proved ourselves successful on many fronts. I mention that only to reinforce my next point. That to steal and claim property of the IRG, and then turn around and claim "well, we'll return most of what we took from you" and act as if that is some kind gesture is in fact extortion - that pilot in question took IRG property under threat, and then offered to only return some. Mr. Vasquez, if I were to demand property developed by a Corsair business, but then offered to return all but some, it would not change the fact that I took what was not mine. That is why I can see why Dr. Erzie did not accept the "gesture of good will". If others were to discover that the IRG would roll over and accept theft of goods produced by the IRG, we would lose the respect and position the IRG has spent years building. Erzie did in fact offer that if you needed or wanted a cell, we have proper channels to request one as set up for all of our clients. Surely you can see that side as well.

But, I do have a more immediate situation I would like to call to your attention. Dr. Erzie was found missing last night from Freeport 11, with security feeds disabled for a period of 15 minutes. Given the tension between the Corsairs and Erzie, I would be foolish not to at least inquire if you have any such news surrounding that incident. Of course, if the Corsairs did have a hand in it, I would assume no confirmation would be provided.

Dr. Erzie's disappearance though has brought me out of my time enjoying relation, and I have stepped back into the position of CEO of the Ingenuus Research Group. I have given orders to all IRG personnel coming in contact with Corsair pilots to avoid any hostile entanglements, though they of course have every right to defend themselves. I do hope though, that given your mistrust of Dr. Erzie and your willingness to speak peacefully with myself, we can come to an agreement that does not endanger IRG or Corsair lives in the future. What mistakes have been made should not be forgotten, and I would never presume to ask of such. But those mistakes have the potential to build off of and learn from, especially considering your grievances appear to be with Dr. Erzie instead of the IRG as a whole.

I await your response, and am eager to mend the tear in our relationship, as head of the IRG once again.

- Finn.

::: PINGING SECURE CHANNEL :::
::: AWAITING RESPONSE :::
::: TRANSMISSION RE-BROADCAST :::

Saludos Senor Finn,

So... It seems much has happened since our last words. I must admit I'm a little surprised to learn of Erzie's disappearance, but I think I can tell you that if a Corsair was involved, either he would be in my custody by now, or dead. And leaving you in charge, so soon after getting back from wherever you were. How convenient, si? *chuckles* It is no matter anyway, I wouldn't complain if a few other certain leaders were to disappear, and I won't complain about this one either. You are right that a lot of our grievances were with Erzie, and the way he ran IRG, so this could be a... new leaf, for us to work together once more.

Now. Port Carthage, the Power Cells. What else is there to be said by this point? Both of our sides have been acting in their best interests, as only natural. The Omicrons are a dangerous place, perhaps in the houses, you can sit in a board room and discuss your plan of action, but out here, on the edges of known space, it takes a fast decision and steady arm to stay alive out here, and you'll find the Corsairs lack neither of those. We saw a threat, and dealt to it before it could bring harm to our people, or escalate beyond our control. Often these solutions may require a forceful approach, but sometimes not. Whats done is done, senor Finn, and if you look too much behind you, you won't see the new threats in front of you.

And with that said, I think I could see to allow IRG once again to pass through, and land on, Corsair bases, under your more... sensible leadership, if a suitable favor was completed in return. A show of good faith, if you will. Think on that, and while I do have a few ideas in mind already, I would like to see what you think up of for what you can offer the Empire.
Respetuosamente,

L. Vasquez

The Brotherhood
Planet Crete, Sparta