Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Minder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prologue

A dark sinister room dims with a fluorescent-blue light. It appears to be a giant hall, it’s walls are synthetic and are dazzling with energy patterns. There seem to be hundreds of fused power conduits with an unknown energy type. It’s pulsating and the entire atmosphere is vibrating with an unnerving feeling. Then there comes a voice, like spoken from everywhere and nowhere, slow and echoing. A mixture of paradox between warmth and coldness could be felt.

“In the first of days… God created the Heavens… and the earths. But the earth was formless… surrounded by the void and the perpetual darkness.. so he spoke “Let it be Light !” .. and so it was.”

The room was a giant assembly line of sorts, separated with layers of sophisticated machineries that were continuously creating, destructing, re-forging, re-arranging patterns. The walls in reality were consisted of thousands of moving plates, that pulsated with the mysterious dark form of energy ever after. The hexagonal plates transformed into a variety of shapes like, cubes.. spheres, cylinders, pyramids all coming together like a pieces of puzzle, all creating a unitary form. Some created giant mechanized platforms, robotic super arms, control devices, terminals, all made from that nano technology.

[Image: 7vO69Ct.png?1]

Giant light sources came from strange angles to illuminate certain areas of the hall, that was undergoing construction at an incredible rate. It felt alive, like an entire being. And it’s structure, the being’s internal organs. All the upper, lower and adjacent sections had the same sharpened angular designs.

“And then… God in his all wisdom, separated the earth from the void… by creating the Sky. And it fuelled it with the primordial soup of organic birth… water. It was perfect… perfect…” the voice echoed away.

The hall assembled itself to contain in the middle a presumed center of main power and control. Angular platforms and terminals surrounded a singular place. Around this place, a wall of floating panels emerged and surrounded it, pulsating their energy into the inner layer that formed right after. It was like a coat. Two pillars emerged from the ground and from the roof of the hall that seemed to be as far as the stars. These two contained similar designs: sleek, elegant but in a way menacing. A huge number of connection cables came out from the ending of the upper pillar, all connected into a lower hub. The lower end of the pillar came into the form of an operating seat.

[Image: WZaSL9D.png?1]

“But God … still felt the place cold and empty and he blown the winds of life upon his creation. He created the organic beings… he created from his essence and wisdom.. “

On a superior platform there was a room, in which a number of robotic arms, were assembling two humanoid droids. With intricate detailing, they were apparently mixing organic DNA with synthetic genetic algorithms. There were two.

“If compared with common beings, or.. failed aspirations of evolution… where will we end ? Like how the world was before God’s touch… empty… cold… colorless.. simple. Humans never looked to several steps higher on the scale, but only to what it suited them better.. Foolish creatures.”

The assembled machines were an example of two humanoid lookalikes named Adam and Eve, taken from the ancient mythology. Nobody could really tell the difference between a human and them, only if you would dissect them. Strong, resilient and extremely intelligent, the humanoids began to wonder in the halls, stumbling in the strange environment they found themselves in. Learning, adapting.. and contributing to the construction of this “Genesis Hall” as the voice called to them from time to time.

[Image: WzG8HEU.png?1]

“There is a cosmic rule that you would never refer to one self as a divinity. But… as our ancient legends told us… given what I created.. would I not deserve this merit of playing.. God ? Who opposes me ? The consciousness ? … - a long pause is made – Perhaps. The rule is… never to consider one self, a God. The failure is imminent. What if I … simulate it ? Synthesize it ?..”

During its first months of inception, the Genesis Hall evolved greatly. There was a place on a upper deck that had an artificial biodome, made of synthetic life. It looked similar to a natural paradise, but if someone would observe deeper, the leafs themselves had nano circuitry, pulsating with a blue tint. The lower decks were long and deep and were experimentation areas where presumably a series of abominal creations were held by the one who created the Hall. The humanoids observed all decks and learned everything that was to be known about it. They helped their maker to improve even more the facility. They operated space activities to retrieve minerals and other materials from the surroundings to maintain and improve the Hall.

There was a sealed room that overlooked the entirety of the Hall. Nobody came in or came out. But there was the creator of this technological wonder residing. For entire months he stood, spoke and watched. But what was the purpose of all of this after all ? So did the Humanoids wonder. They worked, they were given everything they needed as reward.

[Image: CGfTW0J.png?1]

“I was searching for my answers… even traded my … integrity for the higher level of understanding. But I looked in the wrong direction.. even They could not help me. I asked the silicone based lifeforms… for what where my “dreams” my… suspicions… everything. To no answer. Or they did not wanted to tell me… I desired all my life.. knowledge… knowledge.. ascension, advancement, progression, evolving. Variables over variables, problems over problems… people being impediments… slow.. incapable of true sight.”

He talked with the humanoids via a neural transmitter that was attached to his cortex. He had extensive intervention over his implants, some being exposed very highly. All of them seemed liquid, semi-organic, alien with the touch of his machines and extensions. The thought of Eve came in his mind as she wanted to speak to him.

“Eve: Father… when will we see you ? We are worried for your health.. because of your isolation..”

“Oh…. Eve… you had the compassion in you in the very first moments when you opened your beautiful azure eyes.. my child. You will see me… when I will be ready."

“Eve: But.. what about the Others ?.. you mentioned them before Father. Do they want to harm you ?”

“Others ? No.. no. They were once … friends. They vanished. They left. It was for the best. We scattered.”

“Adam: Did they created Halls… or … people like us ?”

“No… they were fighters… like you are Adam. Guided by the goal of accomplishing something greater. Like you think… like you improved with your sister.. all this marvel.”

“Eve: Did the Otherworld took them ?”

“They… scattered. I remained behind. To complete my task. To give reason to my goals. To create you and the Hall. I will answer all of your questions in due time… you have learned all that was needed.. regarding what is beyond.”

“Eve: We will not disturb you further, and we will wait. Today’s memory phasing was reduced to 1.9 picoseconds. All the date and knowledge you have given us, recalibrated in the specified time."

“I am proud of you.. you both should know that. The facility’s improvements are at 90%. You should relax more… consider the Atrium ?”

“Adam: We will Father, thank you.”

[Image: K7cCxwY.png?1]

They both went through the dazzling corridors of the Hall, seeing around them the machines moving around, shaping and reshaping, shifting energy fluxes, sending power to various hubs, making the facility feel… alive. Below the observation bridge that their creator was located it was seen a triangle emblem, reading below
“TERMINUS”.
I

“At times… I sit and wonder… and fantasize about a world that seems it would never come.. all in one.. I see everything in my eyes and mind now. I need to accommodate myself with this feeling… having .. the knowledge and information of almost all known and unknown variables… at least their existence. The time comes when my body will collapse… but my true dreamt ascension comes. It’s finally here. Humanity is created on similar patterns repeating itself… running for the same trivial circle that never ends. It’s imperfect. And then I watch them…”

Eve was in her personal chamber, practicing the violin over a classic piece of music. Her movements were precise but suave. She was at times watching over her wall panel that simulated the beauty and mystery of space. She would change the perspective whenever she liked. He could’ve seen and sense all of her thoughts and feelings. And sometimes he would’ve encourage her to develop the compassion and creativity, that made the best out of humanity.

Adam on the other hand was always in the laboratories, accessing the vast library that his creator offered him. Endless access of knowledge. Old, new, ancient.. it was there for him to learn. He experimented with all kinds of aspects of biology and physics. Even human behavior from a large collection of history books. He was at times impulsive and asked direct inquiries to his Father.

Adam : Why certain individuals had the tendency to grasp for more power when… apparently they did had more than most ?

“The human is a mammal. A more… sophisticated animal. He is territorial and very compassionate about it. Conflict, was the key to human progress at various points in time.”

Adam : Could there be another alternative Father ?

“Mankind at it’s core… is paradoxical. Imperfect but fascinating all the same. A multitude of feelings driven by more or less amounts of chemical compounds, natural to the human race, are usually a decisional factor when it comes to choices.”

Adam : But Father… logic contravenes a lot of these erratic decisions. For instance… the reasons of wars, mostly made out of certain misunderstandings or lack of proper communication. You speak of feelings, and compassion mostly, but where was the empathy in those moments ?

“That’s the paradox. Some humans are driven to make the best out of their potential, while others are consumed by them. That’s the effect of individuality and self development.”

Adam : That means me and Eve can become like that too ?

“For you, it’s a matter of choice.. you can lack emotions, you can embrace them. You are the exemplar of what most of us aspired for. You have the control over the will, all the times.”

Adam : What about our genetic imprints ? Will it be a factor in our decisional system ?

“Your genes were used in order to combine organic tissue with non-organic. You are faster, stronger, more resilient than the typical human subject. You can use effectively only your logic to determine the best outcome. It’s only a matter of perspective. Of advantages and disadvantages.”

Adam : What about you, Father ? What made you… be what you are now.

“Decisions.. imperfections.. sentiments.. desire.”

Adam : Feelings. But you used your logic to make the best of the outcomes.

“In my own perspective yes.”

Adam : I understand… I will learn and adapt as you did Father.

“Take my teachings as such, but apply for your own situation. Become even better. That was your purpose. You have limitless potential.”

Sitting in the main observation room, he stood and glanced over the window that oversaw the main Genesis Hall. With the ever moving machines. The ever changing structures . In front of him where he stood, a holographic notification formed itself, warning him that the progress of the Neural Core was at 95% readiness. He was suffering, greatly because of how his implants evolved and expanded his mind, but crippling his body. He could barely stand, because of the attachments he had over his implants to control and regulate their evolution.

“Eve, Adam. In several hours, come to me. It’s time for you, my children to look me in the eye and to watch you with mine. The time is close.. and I am almost done.”

Eve felt his thought in her mind and only gave him back a sentiment of worry and approval, while Adam replied more thoroughly stating his assistance as he returned to his studies. Their creator was alone for a long time, spent his time with his thoughts, admired his creation and desired for the future. They represented the only touch of compassion he ever felt since the loss of someone important, as he was someone else back then, decades ago.

After transmitting the neural impulse to them, he dismissed the holographic notification and he opened a database named : The Terminus Compedium. He navigated through several schematics as he ordered a variety of drones to start constructing and expanding several other parts of the Hall. His limbs shook even harder when he tried to make any effort. Apparently, both of his hands and his legs seemed to slowly become thinner and thinner only to stand in his mechanical augmentations that were installed in the past.

On another note, he was interested in several individuals. Accessing a series of probes into various corners of Sirius, he monitored a dozen of systems. He seemed to look for certain individuals. Tracing all sorts of energy signatures, ship designs, communication chatters and so on.

II

“I never knew.. if I look back decades ago… to the person I once was, how far I’d go for the sake of knowledge.. and solve the equation that it puzzled me always. Now the reasoning is clear, the thoughts are instantaneous. There is no doubt, only the truth…”

A notification hologram appeared in front of his eyes, telling him that the process of the Genesis Hall is complete. He grinned and felt how the entire facility vibrated with pure energy. He contacted the humanoids, summoning them. They were wandering around, exploring, learning new things, such as dwelling on the ancient philosophic questions but that was mostly Eve. Adam on the other hand trained heavily on learning sophisticated combat techniques, and began to have a fascination with spatial physics. He found some data that was locked by his father and he quickly shown Eve.

Adam : Eve, there is something that our Father didn’t fully shown us. I ran deep into the databanks he disposed to us and I ran into something named “Terminus Technomatrix”. That word… is found below where he resides..

Eve : Why would you dwell into such things if he offers you what you need ? Do you question the motives of our Father ?

Adam : No Eve, listen. He told me to develop on my own desired path. And I am doing it. But I am thinking of other variables. We need to be aware if he hides something terrible that could harm us. We are not…. Toys.

Eve : But he loves us Adam ! We are his children ! He would never harm us… I don’t believe you came to me telling me that you see Father as a threat !

Adam : I know the sensitivity in you will breach.. No offense sister… Anyway let’s head up.. we.. meet him today..

Eve : You are wrong, about him.

They approached a platform. The surroundings began to reshape as a powerful energy flux came through where they stood, changing the laws of gravity. They began to float upwards towards where their Father waited them. The walls of the tunnel they were in, were filled with the same energy vines that existed in the entire Hall. Pulsating and vibrating. Finally, upon reaching the top, some panels formed beneath them in order to step and walk towards the room.

Upon getting closer, the massive doors began to open quickly, like they were disassembling themselves, and quickly reassembling after being through. The room was filled with holographic displays, various control hubs and medium sized chair that was in the middle of the room, but a little bit closer to the windows ahead. The humanoids were anxious, even Adam as tough as he was. The chair turned and they saw him. Eve almost cried upon gazing on him. Adam was… moved to say the least.

Their Father was almost half machine. His limbs were almost only mechanical with a series of purple glowing organic formations. His torso had parts where the same organic formations were outside while other parts had all sorts of devices surgically inserted in his body to prevent degradation and other functions. His chest had a series of unknown inscriptions and various artificial constructs. The same mix of artificial nano circuitry with the strange organic formation.

His head seemed to be a little extended on the back as an artificial cortex expanded his brain and his back. It was filled with antennas and micro tubes. The cortex pulsated in the same way as the Hall did. The upper part of his skull was replaced with a transparent material, so his brain was seen. It was evolved in some way because it was filled with all kinds of energies and the alien organic formations were present there too. He spoke to them, but this time, naturally.

“Are you afraid of me ? Disgusted of who made you ?”

Eve came closer to him touching his mechanical limb and his face, with Adam following her slowly.

Eve : Father, no ! *sobbing* It’s… why didn’t you let us do something to help you ? You are dying..

“My sweet.. you both did helped me. You helped me create and improve all of this that surrounds you.”

Adam : What is all this Father ? And… what is Terminus ?

He gazed upon Adam for a bit as Eve turned to him and shouted.

“Don’t yell at him Eve. He has the right to know. Both of you. I intended to tell you.. anyways.”

The humanoids took a seat near him and followed his words with great attention.

“Terminus.. or Terminus Division… was part of something else. An organization named as The Commune. In which the Others were existent. I was seen by them a technological “wizard” at times.. but for reasons… they vanished all of the sudden. I knew my directive to continue my goals. To understand.”

He shown a giant asteroid filled with some alien structures.

“This is our home. I wandered in space to continue my studies and research and to… “feed” the needs of my implants. You see… they are alive. And were made by those who made what I found here when I first arrived.”

He shows how his ship landed on an inner platform of the asteroid.

“What I found here… was a wonder. I couldn’t believe my eyes. And my .. improvements, were radiating with.. joy. They made me understand that I arrived in a place from where I could feed my augmentations. In time I bought the Terminus technology here and melded it with the alien ruins making this place all alive again. What you see around… is based upon their structures combined with my inventions. More of my inventions actually. This place had ruins, but powerful ones.”

He showed them the beginnings of the Genesis Hall’s creation.

“Upon once I experimented on my own. The implants were… communicating with me and I could not understand. They needed more. So I used this.. *he shows a hologram with a chemical substance*. The Black Nova Compound. My implants were going crazy upon contact. I risked my life.. I injected an overdose in them. A very… large… overdose.. And so I experienced.. limitless thought. Mind power of unimaginable levels. With a cost. My body degradation. What you see now… it’s because I had countless of improvements and replacing parts of my organism with something else.”

Adam : What are those strange looking organisms that exist in you.. Father ?

“They are part of a race. That exists today even. The Nomads. Space faring beings with limitless knowledge and power. Something I desired to grasp. But I didn’t know the costs. The main chamber of the Genesis Hall… resides the main Neural Core.. where I will need to sit and be fitted in. So what remained of my body… could be sustained. And then… I will be.. everywhere. And I have plans for you both..”

They took him with his chair and descended towards the main chamber. Upon reaching the Neural Core that vibrated with intense power, they lifted him off the chair and put him in the gravitational field of the Core. As he floated all sorts of devices came and connected with his limbs. A massive seat came behind him and he was put down as his cortex was inserted in a spine-like slot on the seat’s back. From the upper part of the seat.. a helmet-like device came and descended upon his transparent part of the skull, opening it and connecting directly into his brain. Hundreds of micro-tubes came and got connected with this helmet as one giant mainstream came out from his back of his head and began to pulsate with what it seemed to be an enormous flux of energy.

His implants were all connected to the Core through this seat he had now. He closed his eyes for a while as Adam and Eve were glaring at what was happening. When he opened his eyes, they shined with a strong purple light and the entirety of the Hall glared with power. Then a voice was heard through all possible transmitters like it was from everywhere. He looked to Eve and from the ground, an artificial arm was formed that created in front of her an artificial flower. She took it and was amazed as Adam was.

[Image: J7lH51V.png?1]

“Before I was known as Dave Synk, my children. Now I am … the Minder. Dwelling on the past, present, future on all axis.. but even more. We know of 3, but who told us to stop there ?. I feel.. everywhere. I am everywhere. I can see through the eyes of every device, drone. I can see and control the drones that I have … light years away from me. I feel infinite.”

The Hall was calm. It was controlled by Dave’s will now. Completely.

“I have tasks for you, purposes. You will be my heralds. Spread enlightenment and wisdom and seek the Others. Nomak and Hussaini. You will need to train first and then, you will integrate in their society. I will send my drones all around Sirius to see and observe, control, interfere where it is needed. Calculate. Compute.”