Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Making RP for a character
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there pilots ;),

I've played this game since 2012, but never joined forum before (i was even told to not),
thus i don't really know much of the game's past or such.
But now, i'd like to be part of this RP community and put a piece of myself into it.

So the question is:
1. Is it worth creating a character with history backed by forum ? (like biographies)
2. And, could it help me when communicating with other people/factions ? (because not everyone likes my ship / IFF)
Hey there, glad to have you on paper now Smile
Enjoy your stay
1. Yes, it is more than worth to, especially if you keep it rough and expand it as you RP your character ingame. Develop fears, wishes, ambitions, etc. and update them in your bio. The more it Pops up in the recent activity, the more likely People will see your character and develop interest in them.
2. Absolutely. Most of the official communications with Factions or other People - if not arranged to meet ingame via Skype or Discord - is done through the Forums. Bounties, job offers, Long-Lasting roleplay or simply sitting your char down in a bar to Chat with others can be done in the Forum. ship/IFF can be ignored if you want, but you can bring it up in conversation to initiate controversy or a discussion or even a fight.

Either way, just Pop in the Forum, get typin' and enjoy what you're doing Smile
If you need some tips for your character creation: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=150895

Don't spend too much time on your character's past. Nobody really will read or care for it. What people care and read is what your character is doing, with who the character interacts and what the character is trying to achieve. People are here to interact with each other and want to write stories together, so focus on that when you can. People appreciate that. Smile
Guys, thank you very much for those tips - i guess i can progress a bit more with my "story"
Hookier - Your tutorial was a good inspiration & information.
So i made my character profile (https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=156481).
Maybe you could tell my if there's anything missing, wrong.... you know what i mean.
Ahoy mate, Wellcome.
I remember you flying an order GB last Time we had the pleasure. Make sure to brush up on the current history of Delta if you want to expand that RP path.
As for the writeup you delivered, it is a neat idea for sure but I sort of fail to see the Ai's motivation for messing with a chaotic, organic brain - what purpose would a such move serve? Think about It and see How to make it work.
Also, i'm not sure the temple is still considered inRP - better you check it first.
I'm aware of the "Temple of the Revenant" not being in game anymore, but i felt like it'd be nice to use in story.

Oh, and, i've updated the story to blend it a bit more,
so maybe you could give me some feedback again
I believe Docent wanted to imply that with the retcon of the Phantoms, the Temple of the Revenant might be retconned as well.
ahoy, im Voncloud in game we have had a few run ins. What i will say is this
1: You need to make sure your characters are seperate, you cant run around in game with every character being a variation of StDH nor can your character be multiple entities. you had/have an AI, Order and Nomad all with the name StDH (or some variation of it)
2: Make sure you research the faction you will be playing.
3: Make your own mind up. just because you see someone else doing it doesn't mean you should. I refer to your nomad rp
Hi, I will try to help you as best I can.

You should absolutely write a character bio and ask yourself "what makes this character unique?" Or "Why does my character do what they do?"

In my case, Teresa the char is diagnosable with ADD and grew up with five guys of questionable emotional maturity as father figures. Half the challenge I have writing her is not making her too much of an outright monstrosity, because her unique worldview lends itself well to her obliviously committing what we would consider atrocities and being genuinely surprised when someone tries to stop her. She is, after all, human, despite the glowing red eyes and a certain "I punched someone's head off because I was bored" incident.

The other half is making the reader suspend their disbelief.

In your case, you'll want to make a character with a name you like. In this case, Matt Ward is a pilot for some group, here's why he joined, here's what he's accomplished in that time, here's what he wants to do. His loved ones are lovely people. He likes this, and dislikes that. He also kind of looks like this picture, if you squint (optional).

That's how to make a char the quick and dirty way. Try it out on one of your chars.
Pages: 1 2