Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: (Consumable?) Jump Drives that Create Interactions More Quickly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quoting 's brilliant post from 's jumphole thread:

(01-24-2018, 01:47 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]Just make jumpdrives actually good and available to all ships. Expensive to use, long charge times that can be interrupted by all hull damage or something so you can't escape combat with them. Jump 14 jumps in 5 minutes to get right into whatever activity is going on in-game.

Then the universe size and travel times matters infinitely less.

Yes, this is off topic and I've said it before, but it's also literally a 15-minute job that solves so many problems.

Oh yeah and no cargo while jumping so no power trading w/ jumpdrives, wew.

I've put my own spin on the idea. These Jump Drives could be consumable and sold from NPC commodity dealers. They could perhaps have a shortened jump range of about 4 or 5 systems. They'd cost a high price point - something between 20,000,000 and 50,000,000. They'd make for a robust moneysink, and be able to rapidly facilitate interaction between IDs.
Or that Carrier Docking Module that talked about. I think everyone was waiting for it before it was forgotten.
I support making jump trading impossible and making snub-carrying-carrier jumping possible/easier.

How ever the jump drives do not address the current problem of lacking activity hubs and lack of pirate-able trade/smuggle.

The activity hubs have to be there before people can jump to them.

So it's not an alternative to easily actionable jump hole changes, even if it will help people who have the capacity to afford the credits and organization needed for jump drives and already have existing activity hubs to jump to.
I'd be in favour of keeping coordinates with expiration dates. Otherwise, you just know that at some point, people will have all the best, most accurate coordinates, ensuring a largely static and over-optimised jump environment. The current limit of a month could be, much in the same spirit as the faction activity tracker, extended to a trimester for the more advanced survey modules, however.

Beyond that, I'm very much in favour of this. Being mainly a Gallic player, I'm no stranger to having several accounts with snubs parked in various places merely to improve my chances at interacting with... Anyone, really. This would cut down A LOT of my running after people merely to talk to them and help steer Gallia towards some activity. I could see it being very useful for a good deal of factions at war with one another but whose pilots need to endure prolonged commuting before getting anywhere close to a good fight. Limits are needed, of course, lest the whole trade network be solely populated by silent traders.

Also : docking modules ? Was there some progress on that front ? I am very interested.
Oh, these should be sold at NPC bases.
#NeverForgetDockingModules

Jesting aside, I think it would be super neat to see Jump Drives usable on all ship classes, on top of being an NPC base buyable piece of equipment. As mentioned in the other thread, I think that any sort of damage received while charging the "cheap" version of the Jump Drive should interrupt the charge, so that you cannot use it as an escape tool (That's what cloaks are for).

I sympathize with having had to keep multiple character-clones just to interact with different sections of Sirius at any given moment. I can see how Jump Drives for the masses being a problem for piracy, so definitely make it so that the common-man JD is incapable of supporting any cargo whatsoever.

I think one of the interesting roadblocks to tackle here might be from a roleplay perspective. Aren't JDs currently outlawed or restricted to licensure in some House Laws (Correct me if I'm wrong, here)?

Has there been progress on Docking Modules, by the way? I won't pester but once about it; I figured it's about time to check-in on the subject.

As a final note, cheap, efficient Jump Drives would literally be the best thing ever for Sirius-Wide factions/Freelancers to use in order to maximize non-shooty RP encounters. Yes, please!
(01-24-2018, 04:38 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: [ -> ]I think one of the interesting roadblocks to tackle here might be from a roleplay perspective. Aren't JDs currently outlawed or restricted to licensure in some House Laws (Correct me if I'm wrong, here)?

I guess it'd be up to the Houses to see the greater good and not be so uptight.
(01-24-2018, 04:39 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I guess it'd be up to the Houses to see the greater good and not be so uptight.

Honestly, the House Laws could do with some pruning, Kusari in particular. They're the only vanilla House that straight up bans the use of cloaking devices and jump drives with no way of being able to obtain a license to use one. I feel like a lot of new players are intimidated by the laws, restrictions and regulations of it all, to the point of just giving up and going off to play something else. From an inRP perspective, I feel that cloaks are an old enough technology that they should just be straight up allowed freely, like they are in Liberty.
(01-24-2018, 04:50 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2018, 04:39 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I guess it'd be up to the Houses to see the greater good and not be so uptight.

Honestly, the House Laws could do with some pruning, Kusari in particular. They're the only vanilla House that straight up bans the use of cloaking devices and jump drives with no way of being able to obtain a license to use one. I feel like a lot of new players are intimidated by the laws, restrictions and regulations of it all, to the point of just giving up and going off to play something else. From an inRP perspective, I feel that cloaks are an old enough technology that they should just be straight up allowed freely, like they are in Liberty.

See: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=157163

Pretty much the reason why so much stuff is outdated. I think we as a community - players, leaders and staff - need to come together to fix the current problems with the laws.
(01-24-2018, 04:50 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: [ -> ]

This is funny how laws of one house restricts your gameplay. If you check our laws good enough you will be able to find that it is premitted to use jump drives in Kusari, you just need to register your capital ship first with the KNF HC and we will provide you with the coordinates. Unfortunately, I doubt that any navy would tolerate capital ships jumping around the house they protect.

2 houses allow usage of cloaking devices, unless used for illegal activities, 1 only with the special permission, 2 ban usage. Pretty balanced here.

Also this is a thread about Jump Drives, not cloaking devices.
Pages: 1 2 3 4