Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Greyhound replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Pretty cool ship, not a fan of rogue ships but its nice.

i tried to start modeling myself, no way i could have done something like that lawls, gj. Keep up the good work
An update. This is what I've done on the second version of my Greyhound model.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1139/97774834.png
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/336/26492322.png

And a size comparison with the old model
[Image: 83507238.th.png]

The entire fuselage is made out of a single object this time, the engines and fins use a similar structure but should hopefully not have any hidden faces this time around. The cockpit was made to look like the original Rogue and Border World ship cockpits, though you will notice some slight differences if you look closely.

I'm going to send the model to a friend of mine who has more experience in 3D and ask him to check it over for hidden faces and gaps, and then I'll get on to texturing. I don't have as much spare time as when I built the first one, so it might be 2-4 days before I finish the texturing.
Hmm, sorry to burst a bubble but it looks a little like an elongated Wolfhound. Has the making of a bomber.
' Wrote:Hmm, sorry to burst a bubble but it looks a little like an elongated Wolfhound. Has the making of a bomber.

Comments like that, which offer no constructive critisism, are worthless. I can't do anything if you can't suggest an improvement, and if you can't, don't post critisim. All you do is put me down. Sure it shares common elements with the Wolfhound and Bloodhound. But that is what makes it look in line with the others.

First it was a mini Barghest now Wolfhound? The only major difference between this model and the last is the cockpit. The comparisons to other models can be seen because I used them for influence while building this ship.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/42/66364166.png
you re quite hostile towards critizism - every critizism helps, cause it gives you a direct feedback about the model.

i d be very disappointed if everything people said about models was "hell, i want to buy it" "i love it" "give me!!"

thats nice - but it doesn t help much. - now ash HAS a point.

especially in your comparison shot, - all you d need to do with the revised model is to stretch it vertically a bit to increase the U-bend and move the nose downwards a little - and except for the two bottom wings, it would look VERY similar indeed.

maybe not alike - but if it does look too similar for some... then that is one opinion.

now - about a more constructive critizism..

what your model lacks a little is a logical component of the parts. - compare it to the wolfhound - and you see an elegantly swung up main body of the ship - that looks like the half of a crescent moon attached to a scythe like "tail".

the whole ship combines both - the impression to be made out of many components that do not share one single hull - and a dynamic appearence that gives it its very distinct shape that we know from all the rogue / generic pirate ships.

those ships are not "ships" in a naval sense - but much more abstract.

now compared to your concept - yours looks more like a ship. - that is not bad as such, but its different. - it lacks the elegant crescent moon section and some characteristic vertical lines that give the rogue ships the special touch.

the previous version looked kind of more unique. - the revised version looks very much cleaned up - which it certainly is - but it has lost a bit of the characteristics of the first one.

if the comparison of those two ships is accurate - your ship would need to be like twice as large to match the size of the wolfhound ( cockpit size ) - which at that point ... will make it as large as the barghest. maybe vertically stretching helps and adjusting the nose - but ... once you do that, it does look like the wolfhound.
Rogue ships are based on canine features right?

The Bloodhound has a 'nose down' front, but the Barghest and this Greyhound model have a 'nose up' front end.

If I were to criticise the look of the new Greyhound - I would suggest it look less like a canine, and more like a penguin sliding across the ice on its belly!
I might have mentioned this before - but why not draw inspiration from the actual greyhound as an animal?

I'm hostile only towards critisism that helps me in no way. I think so far on this thread only four people (including you) have suggested anything helpful. The rest of the posts have been either "it's good" or "it sucks". Neither of which helps me. But your critisism is very helpful, and is actually something I can use to improve my model, so thank you.

EDIT:
Update:
Spent most of the afternoon messing around in the model. I made it thin and tall, but that just made it look like a lack luster Wolfhoud. I then realised the design of this ship was not meant to be tall and thin like the older Bloodhound and Wolfhound models, but shorter and fatter like the newer Barghest model.
I still want to add a few things to the model to make it visually better, but the basic shape has been edited. I scaled the cockpit to the right size. I ripped one of the co-pilots from the Barghest for a size comparison. The cockpit does look a little wierd... maybe some suggestions on what I could do with that would help.
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7528/40299173.png
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9039/21026340.png

Please from now on only post if you have any helpful suggestions on how to improve the model. I don't need anymore kudos or put downs.
Maybe you could move the part where the cockpit connects with the main hull a little bit forward so the front of the cockpit has another angle and look if that helps.

(the rest of it is awesome:P)
the rear fin thing in the back that comes up is very thick and large, making it off balanced to the rest of the ship. maybe at the part where it begins to separate up from the rest of the body, make it thin out like a fin or make a point at the top like a <strike>cone</strike> Triangle.

also, the cockpit and front point of the ship look very very dinky next to the rest of the ship. perhaps a bit more balance of scale is needed.

Lovin' the design so far, this should make for one of the better rogue/molly ships hands down.
Looks brilliant. Good work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14